Official Review: Outdoor Adventures by eliot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Outdoor Adventures by eliot

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Outdoor Adventures" by eliot.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Outdoor Adventures, by Eliot, is a man’s memoir of his off the wall adventures starting back in the 1970s and continuing up until the modern day. The author’s stories often center on winter sports, trekking, beer fueled shenanigans, and surviving modern day winters. The book is aimed towards anyone with close familiarity to any of those aforementioned subjects. The author sets the tone of the book right from the start with an entire page full of a disclaimer claiming that, “…stories are made from 100% recycled electrons.” He also advised readers to, “Read in a well-ventilated area.” The book then segues into forty-two chapters of crazy stories, interspersed with the author’s own life hacks and fun facts.

Many of the stories in the novel revolve around skiing and hiking because the author spent time living and working near ski resorts in Colorado and Vermont prior to moving to Pennsylvania in the 80s. The first story in the book takes place in 2010 and is about a spectacular ski accident that can mostly be attributed to the hubris of the author and his inability to dodge an errant skier. He uses this story to open up a conversation about the thirty-one senses he believes that people possess. The remaining chapters skip around in time to outline the many strange situations the author knowingly or unknowingly gets himself into and the oddball friends and vehicles he is usually dragging into the mix. The book takes an odd twist about three quarters of the way through; however, when examples of energy transference, odd poetry, and UFOs join the conversation.

The author’s writing style is extremely conversational and reminiscent of a cross between Tucker Max and Edward Abbey drunk at a bar telling stories that anyone within earshot can here. Bad decisions fueled by alcohol or perceived youthful invincibility abound, and the language used to describe those escapades is quite colorful. Eliot often addresses the reader directly from the text and includes many asides in parentheses. Often, capitalization is used for emphasis and leads to phrases like, “WOOSH! (HOLY SCHLITZ!),” and “The pay sucked, but HEY … FREE SKI PASS!”

While spelling was on point, grammar and sensible punctuation were completely missing throughout the memoir. Ampersands, pound signs, and numerals under ten were ever-present, as were inappropriately used parenthesis, ellipses, and bold text. Paragraphs were overly long and there was little fluidity to the arrangement of the chapters. The book would be a lot easier to digest if it was set up chronologically or if stories were grouped by similar themes. While numbered in the front of the book, the chapters had no numbers in the body of the text and were not separated from the prior chapter with a page break. Oftentimes, the only way the reader can tell that a new chapters is beginning is a short chapter title in bold and underlined text.

While the underlying stories can be interesting and entertaining, they are told in such a way that makes it hard for the reader to follow along. At minimum, the book needs a solid round of editing for grammar, punctuation, and ease of reading. Preferably, the current book should be handed over to a ghostwriter who can capture the relaxed storytelling tone that the author is trying to convey. The memoir that was presented for review is, at best, a very rough draft of a book. While some entertainment value could be gleaned from the stories, I have to rate it 1 out of 4 stars due to the completely unfinished nature of Outdoor Adventures.

Outdoor Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh my! You have not been having good luck with books lately. It does seem to go in waves, doesn't it? I do hate disorganization within books like this. It really leaves you feeling dizzy wondering where you are and what's going on. I definitely will avoid this one for now. Thanks so much for enduring for our sakes!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

It's unfortunate to hear that it was not well reviewed and edited, since the concept could prove to be quite amusing in my opinion. I found myself laughing at your description of it! Good to know that it's not worth reading before it undergoes a thorough editing. Thanks!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your honest review. I'll put this book aside for the time being.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

That's bad, the book is not well-structured. I think, the author should give another round of editing. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Lisa19643
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa19643.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Lisa19643 »

I appreciate your candor. So many people have wonderful stories to tell, but translating them to a publishable written work is a challenge. Your recommendation for professional editing and ghost-writing is well taken.
Even the most practiced writers need copy editing and proofreading. The author should not lose heart.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A book which puts a reviewer on the edge is not a successful book. Sadly the plot seem a fun read, and I found the 31 sense in a person sound interesting to know. But too much errors really put me at guard. Thanks for your troubles in putting out a detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
pauljames_03
Currently Reading: The Prisoner and the Chaplain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauljames-03.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by pauljames_03 »

Thank you for your review. As from a tropical country, I never had the first-hand thrill of skiing and such. However, I was interested to "experience" it through books and it is very unfortunate that your review of this book discouraged me so. Thanks for the heads-up, though :D
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It should've been a hassle to read this book without knowing when the next chapter began. I agree with you that some enjoyment could be derived from this book if edited professionally although I can barely see a connection between these outdoor sports and UFO's. Thanks for this honest review!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

pauljames_03 wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 21:40 Thank you for your review. As from a tropical country, I never had the first-hand thrill of skiing and such. However, I was interested to "experience" it through books and it is very unfortunate that your review of this book discouraged me so. Thanks for the heads-up, though :D
Well, at least you have another week of the winter Olympics to get your share of winter sports :-)
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

Fantastic review, I like genuine appraisals so I can avoid books accordingly. This book sounds off-the-wall crazy. Pretty much a killing blow to say a story should have been handballed to a ghostwriter!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

OMG! I'm glad you did not trash it. I know you have a little tolerance in the errors, specifically the grammar. I hope the author will listen to your suggestion.
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

I really liked this review. Though I understand there was a lot of editing that needed to be done here, I must confess I'm actually somewhat intrigued, grammar errors and all. Thanks for your thoughtful comments.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

So it IS just like listening to two drunk guys in a bar. Or a transcribed version of it :). The errors are a deal-breaker for me, but while I will never read this book, I really enjoyed reading your review.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

Thank you for your candid review of this book. I appreciate books of short stories to "rest" between the longer books. The typos and lack of structure would have caused me a great deal of frustration.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”