Review by daratega11 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
daratega11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daratega11.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by daratega11 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by daratega11 » 09 Feb 2018, 03:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, And Then I met Margaret, is a non-fictional book written by Rob White. It was published by Mind Adventure Press. It is a book that explains the life of the author. Rob White is from a small village where survival is for the fittest. In his quest to be like his father, he discovered himself and realized that he has his own life to live. His determination and advice from Pete, the dorm custodian, pushed him to greater heights. Though faced with ups and downs, and the temptation to lie and cheat, he persevered to achieving great success.

Almost every guru he met taught him the act of selflessness. The first lesson learnt from Aunt Theresa showed the author that the myth he believed that “kindness is an act of self-interest” should not be so. Instead, it should be that “kind acts demonstrate the height of love”. This lesson learnt from Aunt Theresa was transferred to Gary, the storekeeper. After a major setback in his business, he was discouraged but was inspired again when he met a Californian mom who encouraged her son to go back into the surf after falling off. And, then he met Margaret while he owned a restaurant. The lesson learnt from this guru changed his orientation totally. He was thinking of himself alone but the little guru redirected his thought. With this, he understood that “those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest”.

The book is a life-application book. It teaches us that no matter the kind of people we meet, there is always a lesson to learn from them. Life is in phases. Each phase is to teach us a whole lot of lessons. I realized that as we learn those lessons, we are expected to apply them to our daily lives and also let others learn from what we have learnt.

This book is focused on how we meet gurus in life. No one is an island because we need other people to help us in our life’s journey. Reading this book, I learnt that the lessons learnt in life are not expected to die in us but to live so that we pass them on to the next person who crosses our paths in life. The book also addresses the power of humility, not looking down on anybody, especially the younger ones.

There is no regret in reading this book. I never wanted to stop reading it. It is fantastic and very interesting. It is also motivational and educative. I love the way the author arranged the plot. The use of myths and realities captured me. I love the way he introduced each chapter with myths and ended them with realities that we are to learn from. I almost shed tears while reading especially for the Massai mother. Peter, who decided not to die, invigorated my spirit. I learnt from him, the power of determination and also, the fact that I am first class.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the lessons I have learnt so far cannot be forgotten in a jiffy. The book was professionally edited but only with a few typo errors that can be overlooked. I love this book so much and I am so engrossed in it. I do not mind reading it over and over.

Rob is a great and captivating writer. I will love to get more of his books to read. I will also love to recommend this book for everyone to read, especially our youths. This book will help them to see everyone they meet in life as an opportunity to learn from and add value to them. Reading this book is not a waste of time as there are lessons to learn from it.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daratega11's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”