Review by FizztIzzy -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FizztIzzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fizztizzy.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by FizztIzzy -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by FizztIzzy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met by Rob White is the story of Rob White’s journey from living in a small town with the prospect of working in the local mill, to to of the prospect of working in one of the two town mills, to being a successful realtor and restauranteur.

He talks about some of the people he’s met that have changed how he thought about things, and how he took what they taught him, and passed it on to someone else in the hopes of opening their minds and changing how they perceived the same things. In one chapter, he talked about how he used to play old maid with his aunt and sisters, and how his aunt would always have a new pack of old maid cards every time they played. If he was stuck with the old maid at the end of the game his sisters would tease him mercilessly and call him an old maid. But when it was just him and his aunt playing she would always end up with the old maid. After his aunt died, his mom told him that his aunt rarely ever left her house, but she would always go out and buy a new deck of cards because she knew Rob loved opening the new deck. He used this knowledge when he was in college, working as a stocker at a grocery store. He worked with a kid named Gary who was intelligent and hardworking, but not very focused and had a very short attention span. Gary would constantly stock things in the wrong places such as putting ice cream with the milk. When Gary marked eggs 90 percent off, the owner had had enough. Everyone knew that Gary was going to be fired, so when the owner called all the employees together to get to the bottom of the egg fiasco, Rob spoke up and said that he had set the price on the labeler, and had asked Gary to stamp the egg cartons. The owner fired Rob, but said that he knew that Rob hadn’t set the price for the eggs. The myth was ‘Kindness is an act of self-interest.” The reality “Kind acts demonstrate the height of love.”
Rob shares 21 debunked myths in his book, how he learned them and how he was able to pass on his knowledge to someone else.

I really liked how he was open minded enough to see the difference in the myth that he had always known, and I thought it was fascinating how he used his new knowledge to change how he looked at things; I also liked how he tried to pass along this truth to help others learn to realize their own potential. It was interesting how he sometimes came across someone that he had helped, and was able to see firsthand how his advice had changed their lives.

I thought the book was well thought out, and the lessons he learned were something everyone could identify with. I like how at the end of each chapter he states the myth, and then states the reality, reinforcing the lesson that he learned.

I really enjoyed And Then I Met Margaret Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met by Rob White. The stories were entertaining, and I couldn’t wait to see what the next story would be about, and what myth he would be busting.

I thought And Then I Met Margaret Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met by Rob White was well written and highly entertaining. I only found a few grammatical errors and the errors I found were not enough to detract from the book. I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like FizztIzzy's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”