Official Review: The Powerful Facts You Don't Know-About ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: The Powerful Facts You Don't Know-About ...

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Powerful Facts You Don't Know-About The History of Blacks" by Reginald Stanley Sinkler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's puzzling how some societies in today's world have such a rich and well-documented history, e.g Europeans, Asians, and Americans while the history of black Africans is virtually unknown. Africa is the origin of mankind, there should be truckloads of data about those who walked the continent way before it's modern-day inhabitants. What happened to the history of black Africans? What really is the history of black Africans? These are the questions that Reginald Stanley Sinkler seeks to answer in his book The Powerful Facts You Don't Know About the History of Blacks.

This nonfiction book lists over 50 facts about various accomplishments of the ancient Egyptians and the Nile Valley inhabitants, most of which have been deliberately omitted from history. It is commendable that the author has done his fair share of research, including traveling to these now forgotten places, thus amplifying the veracity of his work.

At the time, the ancient society had achieved great milestones in medicine, architecture, organized education, astronomy, and mathematics. This had people from far and wide embarking on a treacherous journey to these places to get educated. It is said that their schools were so prestigious that even those who didn't go claiming that they did. The huge contrast between the reputation of the continent during that time period and it's present state leaves a lot to be desired. That coupled with the rest of the world's perception of the place, highlighted by President Trump's less than a colorful description of Africa and Africans, in general, says it all.

At the beginning of the book, the author provides a timeline of the world, dating all the way from 27000 BC to 2000 AD. It shows periods of time when various societies flourished and came in handy when I couldn't place certain events in perspective. There are also colored pictures of ancient artifacts that date back to Africa sprinkled throughout the book. A brief description is given of how far back these artifacts date, plus their historical significance. These do a brilliant job of brightening up and enriching the reading experience.

When selected this book, I was heavy with expectation and I'm glad that I was more than impressed. I especially liked that the author uses a simple, conversational tone to explain his findings. Each of the facts is brief and to the point with just enough material to keep the reader glued while pondering about them. The author also includes YouTube links to the works of various accomplished scholars to amplify his message. This makes it a suitable read for readers who would like to seek further information on topics that interest them.

The author is an African American but his aim is not to condemn anyone for any wrongdoing. He seeks to educate the general public about facts unknown to them while brushing on the themes of climate change, power struggle, historical injustices, and racism. He also hits the nail on the head by posing the question of why this information isn't taught in schools and hopes that future historians will do black people the courtesy of recognizing their race's contribution to humanity.

Although this was an enjoyable read, I did run into a few errors, which are a misplaced hyphen and misspelled words e.g on page 32 ('say' instead of 'saw'). Besides that, the major complaint is that most of the text of the book is written in bold. Although this doesn't detract from the reading experience, a consistency in the formatting will do great justice to the visual appeal of the book. These minor setbacks could easily be reconciled with a round of editing.

After giving it some thought, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone interested in world history and anyone with the color red flowing in their veins. As the author puts it, "there is but one race, the human race."

The Powerful Facts You Don't Know-About The History of Blacks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The title of this book immediately drew me in, partly because it is Black History Month, so it seemed apropos, but also because this is a subject that I tend to do a lot of reading about, so I was instantly curious if this would be something to add to my growing collection of books on a related subject. Well, I am not entirely sure it quite fits in with my research books, but your review made me curious to check it out.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kat Berg wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 02:11 The title of this book immediately drew me in, partly because it is Black History Month, so it seemed apropos, but also because this is a subject that I tend to do a lot of reading about, so I was instantly curious if this would be something to add to my growing collection of books on a related subject. Well, I am not entirely sure it quite fits in with my research books, but your review made me curious to check it out.
I feel your reservations. This book is more of a "... was invented by a black African"
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

A month or two ago, I reviewed an ABCs book of black inventors & inventions for children and enjoyed it quite a bit. This sounds like a more adult version of a similar kind of fact book and I'm greatly interested in reading it. I also know many others - including my other half - who I think would enjoy such as book, so I'll pass it on. Thanks for the introduction!
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

I was attracted to read your review because of the title. I love history and being an African would really live to read the book and discover the facts of Blacks. Great job.
Do check out my reviews. Would love to hear from you.
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

MsTri wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:34 A month or two ago, I reviewed an ABCs book of black inventors & inventions for children and enjoyed it quite a bit. This sounds like a more adult version of a similar kind of fact book and I'm greatly interested in reading it. I also know many others - including my other half - who I think would enjoy such as book, so I'll pass it on. Thanks for the introduction!
Thank you. I remember reading your review of the ABCs. This is more like the 123s of blacks. (No pun intended)
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

GathuaM wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:45 I was attracted to read your review because of the title. I love history and being an African would really love to read the book and discover the facts of Blacks. Great job.
Do check out my reviews. Would love to hear from you.
I was so glad to stumble upon this book. As a melanin-laden sister, it had me in awe.
I'll be sure to check out your page.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love your ending quote and completely agree with it. Sounds like a book with some great facts. I'm interested to see what the author has to say. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 15:27 I love your ending quote and completely agree with it. Sounds like a book with some great facts. I'm interested to see what the author has to say. Thanks.
Thank you. I hope you will be impressed by the content.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Ginge
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ginge »

In the Post by Mercy Bolo "The Powerful Facts You Don't Know-About The History of Blacks" by Reginald Stanley Sinkler, infers that there needs to be more books describing Black history. The review conveys that it would be a great book to read for those who value cultural diversity and those who need more of it.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I too was attracted to this review by the title of the book. It reminds me of our history lecturer who explained how the world scholars have attempted to even alienate Egypt from the rest of Africa.

I would also read this book if I come across it.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”