Official Review: The Book of WHY (and HOW) by Corey Poirier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Book of WHY (and HOW) by Corey Poirier

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Book of WHY (and HOW)" by Corey Poirier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’m sure many of us have read (or even watched) The Secret. For lots of people this was a major turning point in their lives; for others (like me), that moment occurred when they have read The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. If you think back to when you started to see the world with different eyes, I’m sure you will be able to pinpoint a specific book, movie, or even a conversation with a special person. For some, that turning point will be this very book, The Book of WHY (and HOW).

Corey Poirier, a prominent TEDx speaker, well-known radio host, and author of several self-help books, discusses how, if you want to better your life and want to find something more meaningful in it, you should know your whys and your hows. Basically, you should ask yourself: “What is my purpose here?” “What am I supposed to be doing?” and “Why me?”

When you find the answers to these questions, you will find your purpose in life. You will begin to notice positive changes and will begin to make a real impact on others as well. In the book, the author guides you step by step using lots of pep talk, lots of examples from others who made it (even when their situation was initially desperate), and lots of exercises. In fact, there are exercises after each chapter, giving the book a really interactive feeling while reading.

Before writing the book, Corey Poirier interviewed thousands of people from all walks of life who have one thing in common: they are all high achievers. They are all people who have “made it.” What the author found was that all these people began their conscious life-choices with their WHY. They all had purpose, passion, and a willingness to walk the talk. And they all had (and still continue to have) a strong impact on thousands, if not millions of people all around the world.

Some of the people he interviewed were James Redfield, the popular New Age author; Mark Goffeney, who was born without arms yet eventually got an Emmy for playing the guitar with his feet; the powerful motivational speaker, Zig Ziglar; Tony Robbins (I think he needs no introduction); Deepak Chopra, the famous alternative healing and New-Age advocate; Jack Canfield, the father of the Chicken Soup book series, and so many others. If there is a truly well-researched book, it has to be The Book of WHY (and HOW). By picking the brains of so many different role models in our world, the author allows the reader to gain insights from the wisdom of all these people. Their knowledge is distilled into one, relatively short book.

I guess from my review you can gather that I was highly impressed by it. It made a strong impact on me and left me quite enthusiastic and positive about my life. It gave me a new purpose, even if it begins with sitting and doing all the exercises in my quiet time.

The writing style is clear and to the point, and while I did find several punctuation errors (semicolons used instead of commas; no space between two words; periods missing from the end of sentences, etc.), I cannot give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars. I strongly recommend it to people who want to better their lives, folks who enjoy reading self-help and motivational books, and to anyone who wants to start a new career or leave a boring job behind. This book will show you how to find your passion and your purpose, and why you should care.

The Book of WHY (and HOW)
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The interaction stated brings out life in the book, this will enlighten readers notting that it is a more philosophical book. I like this, and it definitely goes to my book shelf. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. I haven't seen the Secret or read the Celestine Prophecy. Maybe that makes me odd. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cherylrsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Cherylrsh »

I have read the books you mentioned and it did impact me to the point, I now look at everything and have to smile when someone mentions, "What a coincidence."
I love the effort the author had to make to do such thorough research. This must find a space in my reading list. Thank you for an excellent review.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I'm into philosophical matters and succes stories. I'll give this one a go!
Ridestherange
Favorite Author: Joseph F. Girzone
Favorite Book: Joshua: A Parable for Today
Currently Reading: Tales from Gundarland
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ridestherange.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3991

Post by Ridestherange »

The friendly and engaging nature of this review draws the reader in and makes one want to read this book. Well done.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I’m always a little skeptical about books that say they’ll help you find your purpose in life, but it sounds like the author got some heavy hitters to talk to him. Good review!
Kiariejack
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kiariejack »

The review seems to be answering my quest for purpose, I therefore must read this one to satisfy this desire
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This will be added to my to-read list with immediate effect. Motivation is something I can never get enough of.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

Thank you for this review. Looking at the description, I would not have picked it up. After reading your review, however, I think I will add this to my list of books to read.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Gray_Lite
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gray-lite.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Gray_Lite »

Thanks for the thorough review. This book sounds like it would be right up my alley. Have a great day, and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

“What is my purpose here?” “What am I supposed to be doing?” and “Why me?” When you find the answers to these questions, you will find your purpose in life. These questions in your review got me thinking. Also, I love Zig Ziglar and Tony Robbins. I would love to read this book. Fab Review.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Thank you for including a nice background about the author. Knowing about their involvement in TEDtalks makes me that much more interested in them.
Adekanmi

Post by Adekanmi »

The interaction stated brings out life in the book, this will enlighten readers notting that it is a more philosophical book. I like this, and it definitely goes to my book shelf. Thank you!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This seems to be a very profound thought-provoking book that helps to delve into the reader's psyque his motives and desires. Not many books can achieve this objective. I love the fact it is well researched, so it's written with evidence. I'll put this one on my 'to read' list. Thanks for this detailed review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”