Official Review: Travels with Vamper: A Graybeard&rsq...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Travels with Vamper: A Graybeard&rsq...

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Travels with Vamper: A Graybeard’s Journey" by George Critchlow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some people take up golfing after they retire. Other people buy a motor home and go on a rambling solo road trip across America. George Critchlow is the second kind, and his book, Travels With Vamper: A Graybeard’s Journey, chronicles his travels through the United States in a camper van affectionately dubbed Vamper. In addition to describing the scenic landscape he navigates, Critchlow also shares his thoughts on the sharply divided political landscape as the 2016 presidential campaign rose to a fever pitch during his journey. His opinions are informed by his long and successful law career, turning the book into an intriguing blend of memoir, travelogue, and political commentary. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The author’s voice drew me in from the very first page. Critchlow writes in a smooth, friendly, unpretentious tone, and his book reads as though he were telling you his stories in person over a cold beer on a lazy day. Critchlow led an interesting life even before Vamper came into the picture – he’s traveled all over the world, argued many court cases, and even spent several years as the interim dean at the law school where he first studied. Stories from his youth, his days as a lawyer, and his teaching career are scattered throughout the book, and he does an excellent job of weaving them all together. The story bounces from past to present, from introspection to conversation, without losing its flow.

Critchlow keeps these separate threads cohesive by filtering them all through the lens of something he cares deeply about – the diversity and multiculturalism of America. He has done pro bono work defending a Vietnamese immigrant accused of gang activity, and spoken out against his law school colleagues when they wanted to fire a Nepalese professor without, he felt, just cause. It’s obvious that he loves the American Dream – the idea that anyone can come to the US from anywhere and make a name for themselves through hard work – and this is a theme that comes up over and over in this memoir.

When it comes to politics, Critchlow views Donald Trump as an affront to those values of hard work, openness, and acceptance, and he makes a point of talking to the Trump supporters he meets on his travels and trying to understand their point of view. While he certainly doesn’t agree with all of them, it’s very interesting to read his well-expressed thoughts on such a polarizing issue.

I didn’t love everything about the book, though. It was riddled with misspellings, most of which could have and should have been caught with just a little fact-checking. Critchlow refers to his hero, Muhammad Ali, as ‘Muhammed,’ and continually calls Tehachapi, California, ‘Tehapachi’ – not to mention writing ‘Mohave Desert’ instead of ‘Mojave.’ It was disappointing that these errors slipped through when they could have been corrected so easily.

Misspellings aside, I really enjoyed Travels with Vamper. I wouldn’t call it the best travel memoir I’ve ever read, but Critchlow’s experiences and obvious passion for the American Dream made for an extremely interesting read that I’d recommend to those who love a good political discussion.

Travels with Vamper: A Graybeard’s Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your review. As I am not living in America, I'm quite interested in reading such a book by means of which I can understand better the average American perception of home politics and why not, the evolution of the American Dream.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You read the title, and you think it's like a cross between a vampire tale and a pirate tale. I love, though, that the author named his camper van vamper. That's cute. Glad these stories were enjoyable to you, but I think I'll take a pass on it for now. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

There seems to be a lot give away ideas for retirement plans, haha! Anyway, the story seem nice specially about the experience that he has gained through his travels and the people that he met. Sounds like a good book! Thanks!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like an interesting book and makes me want to get my Vanagon back on the road! It is a shame about the misspellings and grammar issues.
BookishCreature

Thank you all for the kind comments. :)
gilgar76
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by gilgar76 »

This sounds like a great book. When I read the title Travels with Vamper: A Greybrard’s Journey, I was like— uhh vampires? Sounds cool. Then I read your review it even sounds better. I want to check this out. Great review!
BookishCreature

Ha! I definitely got 'vampire' out of it until I read the description as well. :)
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Seriously thought this book would be about mystical creatures and vampires judging from the title but its far from that! Anyway I find travelling delightful so I might read this one...Fabulous review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”