Official Review: Swampwise Secrets, Songs & Stori...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Swampwise Secrets, Songs & Stori...

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Swampwise Secrets, Songs & Stories from the land of the Trembling Earth" by Okefenokee Joe.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Swampwise” Secrets, Songs & Stories from “The Land of the Trembling Earth!” by Okefenokee Joe is a four disc collection of original songs and quirky stories about swamp life in the southeastern United States. Okefenokee Joe is the alter ego of Dick Flood. Flood was prolific in the early country music scene, known for his singing and crafting of chart-topping songs for other artists. He was a regular on the Grand Old Opry and spent many years touring nationally and internationally with his band, The Pathfinders. Despite being active in the Nashville country scene, Dick Flood never got that big break so many performers try to attain. In 1973, in his early forties, Dick packed up his Volkswagen Thing and faded into Georgia’s Great Okefenokee Swamp and became Okefenokee Joe.

Okefenokee Joe spent the next ten years of his life acting as a custodian for the swamp and the many animals that call it home. After leaving the swamp, he continued his work as a wildlife educator. He combined his love of the swamp and his musical background to craft fun and educational songs about life in the swamp. After finding success on Georgia Public Broadcasting, Okefenokee Joe went on to publish wildlife books and professionally record many of his unique songs. Swampwise is a collection of many of those songs and is interspersed with parables of the lessons he learned while living in the swamp.

All of the songs on the first three CDs are introduced by a story told by Okefenokee Joe. The sound quality during the story portion makes the listener feel like they are at a live event listening to someone up on a stage. The subsequent song builds on the story, often with some lesson to be gained about nature or man’s interaction with the natural world. The collection also includes a bonus CD of songs with no accompanying narration. Many of the bonus songs are stories about the Indians that used to live in the swamps and the contentious relationship that existed between them and the American government.

While listening to the CDs, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the target demographic would be for this production. Many of the songs are acoustic guitar accompanied by prerecorded animal and nature sounds. The inclusion of the nature sounds added a particular level of campiness to the songs. The unique singing style of Okefenokee Joe is a combination of talking, whisper-singing, yodeling, and a narrow baritone range. Songs like “Streak The Bobcat” and “Swampy The Dog” made me think that this collection would be appropriate for a younger audience of nature lovers; however, Swampy was eaten by an alligator and some of the stories have overly detailed accounts about killing wildlife. The album also includes a barrage of near-constant religious allusions. Every story makes reference to the Christian God and how He created and designed all aspects of nature.

Upon listening to all of the CDs, I’m still not sure who the target audience is for this collection. One thing I do know is that I am not that target audience. As someone who loves country, bluegrass, and folk music, this collection was a disappointment for me. While I enjoyed some of the storytelling and learned a lot about the flora and fauna of the southern swamps, the songs were entirely too ridiculous for me to enjoy. Due to the pervasive religious undercurrents present in all of the stories, I would suggest that this would be a good collection to listen to at nature oriented church camps for young children. Adults who enjoy ballads by the likes of Red Sovine and C. W. McCall might enjoy Okefenokee Joe, as well as those looking to reminisce about a beloved Georgia entertainer. Since this collection of CDs seems like it would appeal to such a narrow audience, if am giving it 2 out of 4 stars.

Swampwise Secrets, Songs & Stories from the land of the Trembling Earth
View: on Bookshelves

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I'm sorry to say it, but this seems downright weird to me. I don't think I'm the target audience either. I appreciate you giving us this information, but I'm going to avoid this one for now. Nevertheless, the author does sound like a good storyteller...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 08:22 Well, I'm sorry to say it, but this seems downright weird to me. I don't think I'm the target audience either. I appreciate you giving us this information, but I'm going to avoid this one for now. Nevertheless, the author does sound like a good storyteller...
It was so totally weird. I listened to it in the car during my commute and I just kept thinking, "Please don't let me die in a car accident and have this be the last thing I listen to."
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 15:57
kandscreeley wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 08:22 Well, I'm sorry to say it, but this seems downright weird to me. I don't think I'm the target audience either. I appreciate you giving us this information, but I'm going to avoid this one for now. Nevertheless, the author does sound like a good storyteller...
It was so totally weird. I listened to it in the car during my commute and I just kept thinking, "Please don't let me die in a car accident and have this be the last thing I listen to."
HA! You are too funny!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm a big fan of humor, cheesiness, and ridiculousness, not to mention the song genres you mentioned, so it sounds like it very well may be for me and others in my circle. I'm also interested in the storytelling aspects. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but I still thank you for the introduction and thorough review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It sounds like this was a difficult read. After all the effort, I'm sorry you were still left with more questions than answers.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Every story makes reference to the Christian God and how He created and designed all aspects of nature.
This line is telling me that this book is not for me, aside from the weird music genres.

Thanks for the well-crafted review. I'm glad, you neither find any grammatical error, nor quit reading, though you disliked the music genres.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Dolor wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 19:02
Every story makes reference to the Christian God and how He created and designed all aspects of nature.
This line is telling me that this book is not for me, aside from the weird music genres.

Thanks for the well-crafted review. I'm glad, you neither find any grammatical error, nor quit reading, though you disliked the music genres.
The one bonus to an audiobook...I can’t complain about the punctuation or proofreading! Just wait until my next review gets approved...
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Congratulations on your review. You made me want to read and listen even if you say you didn't actually enjoy the whole thing. I don't know about Okefenokee, but I loved your style. :)
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Here is one of the better songs from the collection:
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 05:07 Congratulations on your review. You made me want to read and listen even if you say you didn't actually enjoy the whole thing. I don't know about Okefenokee, but I loved your style. :)
Thank you! I appreciate your comment:-)
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I can't imagine commuting while playing something as surreal as this. :P
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

BookishCreature wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 13:19 I can't imagine commuting while playing something as surreal as this. :P
Lucky for me it is winter, so I didn't need to worry about anyone pulling up next to me with their windows down :oops:
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am a sucker for queer music genres as I believe each is uniquely splendid in their own way...also owing to the fact that I like to try new things so this book is a must read...Fabulous review!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

prettysmart wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 15:20 Am a sucker for queer music genres as I believe each is uniquely splendid in their own way...also owing to the fact that I like to try new things so this book is a must read...Fabulous review!
Thank you for your comments. Luckily, you can find a bunch of his stuff on YouTube. I did really enjoy one of his pieces about the different calls of frogs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”