Official Review: David Tate : Origins:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Official Review: David Tate : Origins:

Post by DustinPBrown »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "David Tate : Origins:" by Carolyn E. Hood-Kourdache.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I picked up David Tate: Origins with high expectations. I’m fascinated by Native American history, and since this is a biography about a Creek (Muscogee) chief during the 19th century, my interest sparked like kindling. Unfortunately, the book has some major structural issues that sometimes overshadow its strengths.

First, on the history and the book’s content. David Tate is not a well-known figure in American history, but he lived in a tumultuous time for the Creek nation. Mixed-race Creek and British, he was educated under a “civilizing” program run by the government. This program was intended to make Natives more European. After his education in Scotland, Tate returned to his homeland and, despite only being 1/8 Creek, eventually became a minor chief in his nation. He participated in the Red Stick Rebellion of 1812-1814 which resulted in the cession of almost all Creek land to the US government. Tate died some years later, a much poorer and less-influential man.

Now, the history of this book is fascinating. I had never heard of the Red Stick Rebellion nor how exactly the Muscogee people lost over half their land in a single treaty. David Tate was chosen by the author for familial reasons, and his life makes for a good biography. His mixed-race ancestry and high status in both Native and American society means that we the readers are privileged to both sides of the story, so to say.

But the book is organized in such a way that I found it almost impossible to follow. Unclear headers roughly divide the text into different sections of his life, but the narrative has trouble sticking to those timeframes. In the section about the Red Stick Rebellion, for example, we’re made to understand that this section will cover the years 1812-1814. However, we’re told in the same section about multiple deaths that don’t happen until the 1820s, then jump back to 1812. There’s a lot of dense, well-researched information in this book which made the poor organization all the more frustrating. Hard as I tried to follow the history, so many time jumps and characters and places made the book feel more like homework than an enjoyable read.

Which is a shame. The craft itself isn’t bad; battles are described in good detail, and I got a sense of the attitudes of the various tribes as they struggled to maintain sovereignty in the face of the ever-encroaching US government. Yet it was only a sense. I was never able to fully immerse myself in the book because I was spending so much mental energy just trying to keep up with it. Perhaps it’s a better fit for history buffs who can decipher the language a little better, but the armchair historian will have trouble staying with it. So, I have to give it 2 out of 4 stars. I hope future editions of the book will clear up any issues so that we the readers can really appreciate David Tate’s unusual life.

David Tate : Origins:
View: on Bookshelves

Like DustinPBrown's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa19643
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa19643.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Lisa19643 »

Thank you for an honest review. The topic of the book seems to be a worthy one. I would like to know more about the Red Stick Rebellion and David Tate's fascinating life. I sincerely hope the book undergoes substantive copy editing in the future and is re-published in a new edition. Unknown history such as this could make an excellent movie. Perhaps a well-written screenplay could distill the story to the salient points for a movie audience? I commend the author for attempting to weave a complicated history into a narrative.
Newt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Newt »

The story can be of worth reading if expanded to great volumes indeed. Am really impressed by tates life style.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I laud family members who endeavor to immortalize their worthy kin who have escaped recognition. I hope the author will heed the review and make this piece about her ancestor more memorable.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I always feel bad for both the author and the reviewer when I see a two-star rating or less, having read my share of these kinds of books. I echo Miriam when I say that I hope the author takes note of the critiques and works to make the book more reader-friendly.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Your review is polite and a picture of respectful honesty. Kudos to you for elequently delivering your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry the organization was so bad on this one. This is a part of history I know very little about, so I'm sure it would be informative. However, I think I'll wait for another (hopefully) editing before I try to figure this one out. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I like it when reading becomes a challenge in terms of complexity. The topic seems very interesting so I would try reading it in spite of your rating. Thank you for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 06:58 I like it when reading becomes a challenge in terms of complexity. The topic seems very interesting so I would try reading it in spite of your rating. Thank you for your review.
It's an interesting book! I did enjoy it, but it was so much work to enjoy it. I hope you like it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”