Official Review: Bully Proofing You by Jeanie Cisco-Meth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Bully Proofing You by Jeanie Cisco-Meth

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bully Proofing You" by Jeanie Cisco-Meth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bully Proofing You by Jeanie Cisco-Meth is a motivational non-fiction book. Whether you’ve ever been bullied, have met someone who has been bullied, or have just read the news, you know how dire consequences bullying can have on the victims. It can affect them greatly. In fact, not very long ago a student at an American school took her own life because she was constantly bullied on social media and couldn’t take it anymore. Many are scarred forever. They end up retreating into their shells, without ever living up to their full potential because their self-confidence, their self-worth is forever destroyed.

I picked up this book because I have friends on Facebook who have mentioned more than once that their kids are being constantly bullied at school. I wanted to know if there is anything I could do to help them. And maybe now there is. But not in the way you would think.

Most books on bullying are focusing on the bully. As a victim, you learn to speak up to the relevant authorities. You learn to report them and then try to piece your life back together after the ordeal. With Bully Proofing You, you learn to gain self-confidence, to become more caring and sympathetic to others (even to bullies), and to rise above the hurting words. Bullying always starts with words. And they can only hurt if you allow them to.

I admit, the author’s approach somewhat surprised me. The book touches on much more than just the topic of bullying. If you read it, put the exercises into practice and take your time with them, you will become a changed person. A strong person, one that bullying will have no effect on at all. But it won’t happen right away. It is a life-long process. However, I also admit that change is hard and not everyone can change equally. You read a book, nod in the right places, promise to follow through with an act of kindness, then put the book away and life goes on as usual. That’s why most motivational books don’t really have more than a transient effect.

You can easily see that Jeanie Cisco-Meth has life-long experiences that she loves to share with others. Her book is very uplifting and passionate. You feel her very energy seeping through the pages and know that the author’s heart is in the right place. The stories in the book illustrate the author’s points and make for inspirational reading as well.

There are a few issues that I want to mention, however. Based on the official StopBullying website, most bullying happens in middle school. The NLP exercise listed towards the end of the book is one that children and teens can practice with a friend, which makes sense. Yet, the book itself is written for adults. The life lessons are for adults. I cannot see a bullied 16-year-old teen reading this book and applying the lessons within. This is not the type of non-fiction book such a young person would ever read.

In addition, the book doesn’t seem to be properly edited. There are several grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors throughout the text. Periods are missing at the end of at least three sentences; then we have mistakes such as: “you see my friends perspective” (instead of “friend’s perspective”). Finally, the following paragraph made me question my reality: “There was a time when everyone thought the earth rotated around the sun. Then Copernicus found out differently through study and observation.”

Due to the many editorial problems, I have to give Bully Proofing You 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I recommend it to those who love motivational books. I wouldn’t be surprised if, after reading it, you decided that you’d be kinder to people from now on; more understanding; more Christian, as it were. But if you are looking for a book to teach you how to deal with bullies NOW, you might have to look somewhere else.

Bully Proofing You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting! I have a friend who has a deep interest into this topic, I would love to recommend it to him. Besides, more than me it would be useful for him in helping to make people's lives better. Thanks!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing, but I have a feeling a lot of the advice would be good for many of us to put into practice. Thanks for the review and information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I loved reading your review. It made the book seem like an interesting read. I may give it a look.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I loved reading your review. It made the book seem like an interesting read. I may give it a look.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like an interesting approach to a problem that leaves many feeling so helpless. It is a shame about the lack of editing...I always wonder why authors don't take care of that final step before publishing.
Bens2
Favorite Author: Michelle Cummings
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 109167

Post by Bens2 »

Sounds Well,am looking forward to read the book.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I think it's odd that it was written more for adults rather than teens. Maybe they were hoping that parents could help their kids? Problem is that teens often don't like listening to their parents.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 11:59 I think it's odd that it was written more for adults rather than teens. Maybe they were hoping that parents could help their kids? Problem is that teens often don't like listening to their parents.
My thoughts exactly! I even said to myself, "Oh, maybe this will help when it comes to my relationship with my children." (when they come along). I pray they listen just as I did with my parents.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I realize bullies aren't only at schools...they can be basically anywhere..your home, relationship, workplace etc...This would be great for especially sensitive people..Nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”