Official Review: The Gun Club by Robert Fowler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: The Gun Club by Robert Fowler

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gun Club" by Robert Fowler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gun Club: USS Duncan at Cape Esperance by Robert Fowler is the account of a World War II naval battle between US and Japanese forces that ultimately led to the sinking of the titular vessel. The author's father was aboard the Duncan during the fated battle, and sadly lost his life. The details of what happened at Cape Esperance in October of 1942 seem cut and dry at first glance, but the author's meticulous research reveals that far more contributed to the loss of the Duncan than a simple run-in with the enemy.

The Gun Club is a riveting, and also very sobering, account of war and its repercussions. As already stated, the author lost his father during this battle, and although Lt Robert Fowler was honored as a hero for his heroic conduct at Cape Esperance, family members and friends soon realized that the U.S. Navy's official story wasn't telling the entire truth. Through careful research and interviews with the survivors, the author was able to fill in the gaps, and he shares the true story of Duncan's fateful mission within this book.

The Gun Club is well-written and fast-paced, but also beautifully detailed. The book not only describes the battle of Cape Esperance, but gives a full account of Duncan's pre-commissioning and prior assignments, and includes many details about the personal lives of the sailors and the social dynamics aboard the ship. The many interviews that the author conducted with survivors give a vibrant picture of what life was like on the Duncan for both officers and enlisted personnel, and the multiple viewpoints paint a detailed account of everything that happened at Cape Esperance.

I was very moved by this book, and I commend the author for the thoroughness and painstaking details within. In addition to honoring the men of the Duncan by sharing what truly happened, this book also acts as a warning to readers of the folly of believing everything that is shared through the media and "official" sources. The takeaway from this tale is to think for yourself, and if something you've been told doesn't add up, do your research.

I have no criticisms of The Gun Club; the writing is superb and the author did an excellent job of documenting his sources. The only change I might suggest would be to add a glossary of naval terms, as many readers may not be familiar with them. But this was a minor issue and in no way detracted from my enjoyment of this book.

The Gun Club is informative and captivating, and I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in naval history, or military history in general.

The Gun Club
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

As long as it is a true story, I am good! But this is more of a eye opener to reality. Most people live in a world built upon lies their whole life, specially the older generation. Hope this will open the curtains that was once closed. It is very touching that the author decided to pay tribute to his father like this, I believe if he was alive he to will wish that the world should know of the truth about what had happened on that faithful day. Thanks for sharing this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like the author has done a lot of research on the subject. It's always a good idea to think for yourself. If something doesn't add up, there's probably a reason. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 05:55 As long as it is a true story, I am good! But this is more of a eye opener to reality. Most people live in a world built upon lies their whole life, specially the older generation. Hope this will open the curtains that was once closed. It is very touching that the author decided to pay tribute to his father like this, I believe if he was alive he to will wish that the world should know of the truth about what had happened on that faithful day. Thanks for sharing this book!
Thank you very much for reading my review. I agree that so many people are basing their lives on falsehoods. Reading this book has made me re-examine my tendency to want to believe everything I that I hear!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 09:22 Sounds like the author has done a lot of research on the subject. It's always a good idea to think for yourself. If something doesn't add up, there's probably a reason. Thanks for the review.
And thank you for taking the time to read it!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm not really into military books, but this does sound pretty interesting. There is so much that is still unknown about what people went through during WWII. My grandfather never brought up his war experiences until he was well into his 80's. Thank you for your review.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Not a book I would read, but I like your review.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Would be great for those who plan on becoming historians or pursue the military field....awesome!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”