Official Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happy Healing" by Dominique Bourlet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone has experienced physical pain, some more than others. As we age, pain comes faster and stronger, until it becomes chronic. At times, the only wisdom doctors can impart to us is that “you’re getting older, get used to it” and prescribe strong painkillers for the symptoms.

Dominique Bourlet, in his book Happy Healing, shows us another way. He is a licensed healing practitioner in Germany who acquired most of his craft in Asia. During his time in those parts of the world, he learned Chinese acupressure, along with various other techniques of spiritual and energy healing. Over the years, he developed his own emotional healing protocol called Happy Healing, which is another great addition to the methods that do not rely on traditional invasive Western Medicine.

In the book, the author describes his eight-step process at great length, explaining why it works so well. I found it quite interesting that the origins of Happy Healing stem from the author’s years of working as a horse whisperer. From horse whispering, Dominique Bourlet transitioned to body whispering, which is a concept that sits at the core of the entire approach to healing.

Since around 2012, after my life-long pain of RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) got worse and worse, I started looking at alternative healing, as I didn’t want to keep taking painkillers for the rest of my life. Eventually, I found the healing protocol that works for me, however, had I found this book earlier, I would have definitely given it a chance. I have a Reiki level II practitioner diploma, I am practicing meditation, and I’ve even had a few past-life regressions in my time. So I know what is possible out there, and I am aware that there is more to natural healing than meets the eye.

Having experienced firsthand some of the ineffective ways Western medicine dealt with my health issues in the past, the author’s following words strongly resonated with me:
If "war" is declared against disease, if we try to "kill" pain with "painkillers," the big issue is that the body might become the battle field of this military fight, the collateral victim of a heavy and massive treatment.
In the end, it happens that patients sometimes heal from the disease, but die of exhaustion, with an immune system totally weakened by the military-like medical campaign fought too vigorously.
This is the very reason why so many people turn to alternative healing when traditional orthodox medicine fails them. And this is why, if you give it a chance, the Happy Healing protocol might just be what eases your pain as well.

The book, at around 150 pages, is quite short; however, it packs quite a lot of material. I have read it in one afternoon, but if you read it to gain from it and apply its knowledge, you will spend many engaging hours learning the techniques and making them your own to get rid of your pain.

The writing style is clear, and though I disagree with the use of commas in constructs such as “not only … but also,” since the author used commas every single time the same way throughout the entire book, I realize that it was a conscious decision, not a mistake. For a self-published book, it is edited exceptionally well. For its innovative technique and wealth of information, coupled with ease of reading, I give Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet 4 out of 4 stars.

There is a disclaimer that I want to make, however. If you broke your arm or sprained your ankle, going to the ER is still your best bet for the obvious reasons. This book is mostly aimed at people who live with chronic pain, for whom doctors have no other treatments besides giving them strong painkillers for life. If you are closed to anything that is not Western medicine, this book is not for you. But if traditional treatments failed you, the eight steps might just give you that much-needed pain relief. So why not give it a try?

Happy Healing
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that this has worked for some. I myself have tried several "alternative" techniques and have found nothing that works for me, so I'm very skeptical about this book. If it works for anyone, it's worth it. I don't think it would work for me, though. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

I've personally tried many until I found something that works (the one that worked for me is called Orthomolecular medicine). After a lifelong RA pain, now I'm completely pain-free. So I know that there are things that work, but also that not everything works for everybody. Which means it's great that there are so many different treatments available because there's something for everyone out there.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 08:25 I'm glad that this has worked for some. I myself have tried several "alternative" techniques and have found nothing that works for me, so I'm very skeptical about this book. If it works for anyone, it's worth it. I don't think it would work for me, though. Thanks for the review, though!
If you have certain health problems, try to do meditation. That can cure anything!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

More than physical healing, mental healing is important and through mental healing physical healing is possible. I believe the book also exercised different healing methods practiced in different cultures steamed through years of practice as mentioned but it is important to remember that due to certain weather conditions or body formations in west countries it may differ in response to body healing compared to east. Thanks for the detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book contains very valuable healing tips. I agree, alternative medicine works, where traditional western medicines fail. Thanks for this thought provoking review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I really enjoyed reading your review. I agree with your comment about exploring to find what alternate healing method works best for you. I'm glad to see that the author has added another book to the growing holistic health genre.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am not a fan of alternative medicine YET as I have no chronic pains YET. But I will keep this book in mind, just in case the YET flies the coop. Just the term "Happy Healing" is inviting enough.

I feel for those in pain but also realize that something that works for somebody may not work for another. May everyone in pain find that therapy that works.

Kislany, I'm glad you are pain-free! Thanks for this happy review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

RA is tough to deal with. I have many in my family with this condition, so I am glad you have been able to find relief Kislany! This book sounds interesting, although I am always a little hesitant about alternative medicines. I think the thing that I mostly found fascinating about your review is that he took what he learned as a horse whisperer and applied it to medicine.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 31 Jan 2018, 08:49 More than physical healing, mental healing is important and through mental healing physical healing is possible. I believe the book also exercised different healing methods practiced in different cultures steamed through years of practice as mentioned but it is important to remember that due to certain weather conditions or body formations in west countries it may differ in response to body healing compared to east. Thanks for the detailed review!
Thanks for stopping by. Yes, mental healing is very important when sick. A positive attitude is already halfway there.
Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 09:53 This book contains very valuable healing tips. I agree, alternative medicine works, where traditional western medicines fail. Thanks for this thought provoking review.
Yes, often Western medicine fails because it usually focuses on symptom management and not on actually curing an illness (there is no money in healthy people).
Spirit Wandering wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 19:44 I really enjoyed reading your review. I agree with your comment about exploring to find what alternate healing method works best for you. I'm glad to see that the author has added another book to the growing holistic health genre.
Yes, it is good to have many different options to try out because something is good for everyone, you just have to find the right way. And as I've seen from testimonials of this book, many people found this particular way to work well for pain management.
Miriam Molina wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 20:16 I am not a fan of alternative medicine YET as I have no chronic pains YET. But I will keep this book in mind, just in case the YET flies the coop. Just the term "Happy Healing" is inviting enough.

I feel for those in pain but also realize that something that works for somebody may not work for another. May everyone in pain find that therapy that works.

Kislany, I'm glad you are pain-free! Thanks for this happy review.
Thanks you! Yes, I've been not only not a fan but actually not aware of alternative medicine (well, except for my grandma's remedies lol) for the longest time. Only about 5 years ago (when I was around 45) I started looking into alternative ways, when Western medicine badly failed me...and I was surprised just how much is out there that doctors downright disregard. There is a whole world that can be tapped into, a world that our ancestors have lived in for millennia before...why should those things be forgotten just because now we have antibiotics and painkillers?
Kat Berg wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 00:33 RA is tough to deal with. I have many in my family with this condition, so I am glad you have been able to find relief Kislany! This book sounds interesting, although I am always a little hesitant about alternative medicines. I think the thing that I mostly found fascinating about your review is that he took what he learned as a horse whisperer and applied it to medicine.
RA is tough. I was born with it, so I had pain all my life. Around 5 years ago joint pains became really bad. I tried many things, past life regression, meditation, NLP, Reiki, and some things worked and others not so much. But what I ultimately found to work for me the best is MSM - basically natural sulfur (which there is in the body but not all that much). It took a few weeks of faithfully taking a big tablespoon of MSM, but now I'm pain-free (as long as I take it every day). Something so simple and so overlooked...

I would be curious, though, to try the happy healing method, and at some point, I will probably do it. There are really some good reviews of the book from people who have actually gone through sessions and found relief.

I really found the author's connection between horse whispering and body whispering fascinating as well, that's why I mentioned it. I love horses and horse whisperers are something special dear to me.
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

Very interested in these original ways of healing and positive living... would like to practice them in my everyday life.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Hmmm seems like a book I can get for my grandparents...i would make use of it too...always glad to learn about various forms of medicinal treatment and healing techniques. Great review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book that offers a natural healing protocol to deal with a chronic pain sounds magical. Using commas can be a stylistic choice, so it is not necessary an error. Well edited, good info, and easy to read are the marks of a good book. I am glad you found a method that works for you. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like an interesting book. It was a very thorough review. It’s interesting to read about healing techniques used in other countries and cultures
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I am not averse to alternative treatments, and am sure that people unfortunate enough to live with chronic pain will try just about anything for relief. I do believe that painkillers and anti-inflammatories do a lot of harm, and so other methods of pain management are always an appealing option. Hopefully, a book like this will give them some hope in this regard. Many thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”