Review by Chiara_fernando -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiara_fernando
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiara-fernando.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by Chiara_fernando -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Chiara_fernando »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I don’t know but of all the books I can choose from, this book got my attention. Perhaps, its because of the out-of-ordinary title that caught my interest. Nevertheless, I did not regret choosing this as the first book I’m going to review. And Then I Met Margaret is an inspirational book by author and businessman Rob White. The book contains stories of his own experiences and the various lesson he learned from them. It is an easy read, but since it is intended to inspire and motivate the readers, it differs greatly from the books I’m used to see which is romance books and fantasy novels. It does not have those typical characters we love to hate or the cheesy scenes we hate to forget. Despite being new to me, I’m giving this book a 3 out of 4 stars.

What I like about this book? First, I love the setting of the stories, especially where he grew up. I find it interesting how he describe tradition and norms of that special town of his. Although it is an autobiography-like book, Mr. White make it a lot more interesting by giving the readers simple stories with deeper meaning, that is impossible for your feelings to resist. I also like how he entice readers with his own version of expectation versus reality thing. And few chapters before the book ends, there’s an instance where I suddenly remember Thomas from the Maze Runner that I almost shout “We got a Runner!”

Despite loving a lot of things about the author and the book, I noticed a pattern of how the book is written, which makes some scenarios quiet predictable. It’s also annoying at some point considering how he deal with the behaviors of the people he encountered. It makes me think that “If I were him I will probably do this or do that”, but he justified where his reactions came from. Lastly, after finishing the book, I felt like Mr. White spoon fed me. It seems he just have written all the things that come to his mind while digging deeper and deeper until he hit a bedrock. In my opinion, it might be a lot more easier if the reader understand what he wrote, and realize things on their own. Still, I respect Mr. White and his ability to make a simple story both touching and entertaining.

“Let me put it this way”, it is not the kind of book that keeps you up all night finding out what happens next after each chapter. It is the kind of book that will make you pause every few chapters and contemplates what you just have read.

I recommend this book to everyone who love to laugh -a hearty laugh, while learning something out of someones’ experiences. I also suggest this book to those who might be suffering from emptiness, whether it’s a hole in your pocket or in your heart. You’ll realize how truly rich and lucky you are. And Then I Met Margaret serves its purpose well and just like one of Mr. White’s friend said, “I’ll catch you on the rebound!”

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chiara_fernando's review? Post a comment saying so!

EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Parallels in Autocracy by Wolfgang Mack

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. You hit all of the main positive points about the book. I appreciated some of the stories and the organization of the book. I ended up giving the book 2 out of 4 stars. Check my review out if you like. viewtopic.php?f=114&t=54038
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Chiara_fernando

Eva Darrington wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 19:20
I enjoyed reading your review. You hit all of the main positive points about the book. I appreciated some of the stories and the organization of the book. I ended up giving the book 2 out of 4 stars. Check my review out if you like. viewtopic.php?f=114&t=54038
Wow! I've read your review. You're a great reviewer! Thank you so much for reading mine. 😊

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Unforseen
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

Nice job, Chiera. I agree that the book is a light read, but after the first few chapters the format was predictable. Your reference to Thomas in the Maze Runner made me laugh. Great review. Thanks.

Chiara_fernando

kdstrack wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 15:41
Nice job, Chiera. I agree that the book is a light read, but after the first few chapters the format was predictable. Your reference to Thomas in the Maze Runner made me laugh. Great review. Thanks.

It's my first review and it is definitely not that good. I'm glad you appreciate! :) There's actually fun moments in the book that makes it entertaining. Thank you kdstrack!

AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 836
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I don't always love books like this because I don't always connect with the writer, then it's difficult to finish the book. The writer is a wealthy successful man, and his experiences are not all relatable you know?

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: An Excellent Treatment of HIV/AIDS by Jean Bosco Sahaha
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq »

I agree, it's a good self help book for learning from author's experience. I really like this book. Thanks for your great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”