Official Review: Ring Around The Rosary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Ring Around The Rosary

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ring Around The Rosary" by Gretchen Grossman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gretchen Grossman had an amazing life, starting with a religious education, and then joining a convent after school, after leaving the convent she got married. Gretchen lays out her whole life, leaving nothing out in Ring Around the Rosary: The Memoir of a Girl, A Nun A Wife, and A Mother, her autobiography.

Gretchen’s family was Catholic, going to church every Sunday. When she was old enough she went to a Catholic school where they started to indoctrinate her with the belief that to avoid mortal sin, hence avoiding going to hell after death, the best course of action was to join a convent and become a nun. She had a desire to fit in and make others like her, so whenever the Monsignor came into class and asked who wanted to become a nun? Gretchen always raised her hand.

At the age of 12, the school tried to transfer her to a convent to continue her studies. Her parents objected and she was prevented from joining then. However, the Monsignor remembered that she said she wanted to go. When the time came for her to leave school and go to college, he arranged for her to chaperone some kids to local convent. While there the Mother Superior used every bit of psychological pressure she could bring to bear to convince her that she should become a nun.

Gretchen enrolled at the convent, and once she was within their walls the real brainwashing started. She describes her time in the convent learning to become a nun, and her first and only term as a nun. She describes how it all made her feel, and the way she was treated when she professed a desire to leave. When the time came for her to renew her vows, she screwed up all her courage and said no. Finally she managed to escape the convent.

After leaving the convent, Gretchen tells how she was not as socially adept as her friends from school appeared to be. In trying to find her way, she finally meets a young gentleman who thinks she is great. This leads to her getting married to Coleman, even though some of her friends and even her doctor said she shouldn’t.

Coleman is an exciting and vivacious young man who shows Gretchen the world, but he seems to lack an intimate side. Gretchen describes how she felt during her marriage, and how she thought that having some children would help. Did this really help? You’ll have to read it to find out.

I really liked Gretchen’s honesty in this book. She really lays everything out for everybody to see. I found her description of how the convent treated the nuns in training to very revealing. I also found her descriptions during her married life to bring tears to my eyes. No-one should be treated that way; I think Gretchen’s very strong to not only have survived it all, but to have prospered too.

Gretchen has a smooth writing style and the book flows nicely depicting what happened to her throughout her life. It is written in the first person and in the past tense the whole way through. She is very direct, telling of all the things that happened to her, though she is light on detail in a few places.

The book appears to be very well proof-read with very few mistakes, most of which didn’t disturb the flow of the book. There was however, one sentence that didn’t end, and the next paragraph didn’t follow directly on. As if part of the book was missing. Despite this omission I feel that this book deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I think that anybody thinking of joining either a convent or a seminary should read this book before they decide. I also think that anyone who likes autobiographies of strong women would like this

Ring Around The Rosary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The story is very fascinating! Each person in this world has experienced difference and difficulties to a certain extend. I believe that the author has done a good job in reflecting upon her life and also the hardships women around the world has to face. Thanks for the details!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting to me. I'd love to see about her "brainwashing" and time in the convent. Thanks for all the good information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

This book sounds really interesting! I love memoirs, and one about a sort of closed world like a convent sounds especially good.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This is the kind of book I would be drawn to. I like that it's a raw, unfiltered description of a woman's life.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I love memoirs and biographies. The memoir about Gretchen's story is fascinating. Love to read more. Thanks for your informative Review.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Oh, I've seen this book around. I've wanted to give it a read and see how it compares to The Nun's Story.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

A valuable study for those with a religious background and may feel pressured into upholding the beliefs they were taught from a younger age...Commendable review!
adeadeadeniyix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeadeadeniyix.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by adeadeadeniyix »

"Mother Superior used every bit of psychological pressure she could bring to bear to convince her that she should become a nun." Then, "
I found her description of how the convent treated the nuns in training to very revealing. I also found her descriptions during her married life to bring tears to my eyes. No-one should be treated that way; I think Gretchen’s very strong to not only have survived it all, but to have prospered too."

While postulants/novices (the nuns in training) are treated as if they are not wanted and/or needed in convent, we have to consign idea of psychological pressure to mere fantasy.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Excellent review, and fascinating subject. I was at convent school for a while, and may well have been lucky because the nuns were actually lovely, I was also only a day girl. I do love books describing coming of age, what's called in German Bildungsroman, and this seems a particularly good one.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”