Official Review: The Yesteryear Gazette by Douglas DeLong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Yesteryear Gazette by Douglas DeLong

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Yesteryear Gazette" by Douglas DeLong.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Yesteryear Gazette: Volume One by Douglas DeLong is a collection of newspaper articles spanning the mid-1800s to the early 1900s. The collection covers various historical events and figures, all organized into sections by a connecting theme. Major events like the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the sinking of the Titanic are included in this collection. Further, articles about the flapper craze and moral dilemmas of the period add cultural perspective to the book. And important historical figures are also explored, including Susan B. Anthony, The Black Patti, and Helen Keller, to name a few.

Before the newspaper articles are presented, each topic begins with an introduction that provides basic details about the event or person at the focus of the articles. This set up was particularly helpful because it provided much needed context for readers who may not be familiar with a particular event or person. Similarly, links are provided within the narrative of the e-book to the actual newspaper articles found in the book. The links are placed appropriately, right before the articles are transcribed in the narrative. I found it incredibly interesting to click through the actual newspaper clippings; although the same text is provided in the book, the authenticity the links provided added to the nostalgia of the collection and helped to bring each story or historical figure to life. Further, there were many images included in the book which also helped put a face with a name.

In addition to the reader-friendly format and organization, the author did a great job picking out some of the most interesting historical events and figures to focus on in this book. Split into four sections, ‘The Police Blotter,’ ‘Wonder Women,’ ‘Calamities’ and ‘The Culture War,’ this collection focuses on events and people who had a big impact on shaping the future. I was particularly fond of the articles in the section ‘Wonder Woman’ as they gave first person accounts, interviews with, and insightful perspectives about leading females who made great strides in the suffragette movement, civil rights advocacy, and the entertainment industry.

Unlike reading a history book, this book provided a lot of insight about the perspectives of those living during the time. Instead of feeling like I was simply reading facts, I felt a connection to these people of the past. For example, one topic covered in the collection is the sinking of the Titanic. Included in this section is the first person account of Charlotte, a survivor from the Titanic. Reading from this woman’s perspective not only made the events come to life, but her perspective also added a certain nuance that is typically lost in historical retelling. Charlotte’s account of her harrowing ordeal was moving and made me remember that this was a real event that happened to real people.

The Yesteryear Gazette was a pleasant surprise. What had the potential to be a boring historical collection of events turned out to be an informative and poignant read. The organization and format of the book, as well as the addition of some images and the actual links to the articles included in the book, brought the past to life. I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy reading about history. At under 200 pages, this is a quick and intriguing read. The Yesteryear Gazette easily earns 4 out of 4 stars.

The Yesteryear Gazette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

At first glance, I didn't think I would like this one. However, after your review, I think I might have to reconsider. The interesting articles from yesteryear sound actually intriguing. The fact that the author does the a great job with picking the articles and the organization makes it that much better. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am glad that you enjoyed this book. It sounds like it was done well. Not my kind of book, but I have a friend who would eat this up! He is a huge history geek :).
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Hope I can find time to read his book. There is something that I wanna find out about the story of the Titanic. Thank you for the interesting review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Wow, what a great idea for a book. I am looking forward to reading this one - thanks for the review!
Buenalectora18+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Buenalectora18+ »

This was an intriguing book review. So much so that I am motivated to experience it myself. The review was conducive to inspiring the reader to jump into the work. I enjoyed the subjective nature and the feelings emoted by this writer.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

This book seems very creative in its approach with newspaper articles and links to the newspapers. The topics chosen by the writer are also very interesting and the ones that were truly impactful. Thank you for the review.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

What a creative way to present history! Sounds fantastic.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”