Official Review: The Secret to Political Happiness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Secret to Political Happiness

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret to Political Happiness" by Angus Ramsey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Despite being in my mid-30s I only recently became interested in politics. In the last couple years I've read several political books, and it was with that recent interest that I picked up The Secret to Political Happiness by Angus Ramsey. This is a nonfiction book based on the author's years of self-study and interest in politics that was sparked by a truth he discovered in Politics by Aristotle (in the author's words):
All men want to be able to go about their business (lives) without interference. When people go about their business they interfere with each other. This interference in the absence of law ultimately leads to war, murder, rape and pillage. Politics has the power to stop the harm done from this interference by making laws.
In addition to this simple but powerful truth, the author is also inspired by the governing system of Attica (in ancient Greece) from 512BC-198BC. This system allowed all males of legal age to vote on all matters, not just during elections like current democracies. In this era politics were one of the most important subjects in school; the author writes "the day after a young man became a citizen at the age of eighteen he was expected to be able to run the citizens' assembly." Compare this to our schooling today, where students are more apt to memorize historical names and places than the importance of voting and recent politics and you'll quickly see the contrast in priorities. Of course Angus is quick to say that the system of Attica could easily be improved upon by allowing ALL people the ability to vote, not just men.

In addition to these two main points woven throughout the 125-ish pages of this book, Angus makes a bunch of excellent points. He explains the difference between a representative democracy (one in which we vote for representatives who then vote on matters and create laws) and a participative democracy (one in which we actually participate on a regular basis). He goes into different forms of government and their issues throughout history - single rulers (kings, queens, dictators, emperors, etc.), monotheistic governing (a society based on a single religion such as the dark ages with Roman Catholicism) and representative government (such as the US voting for presidents and other government leaders). He also makes some great recommendations on improving things. The book has a total of 25 chapters and each covers a different topic, although some of the same basic topics are brought up frequently in many of them.

There are about as many opinions about how to make the government better as there are people on the planet, but very few people actually come up with anything people can do about it. Angus actually makes some good recommendations, although some of them aren't exactly things just anyone can do. My favorite was his concept of how everyone can retain their POPA (piece of political authority, essentially their own vote) through a website that would allow everyone to place their singular vote with their choice of elected officials. Then, when votes are cast by the elected officials, your POPA is much more likely to be what you'd personally vote for without having to send out a poll every time a law or ruling was brought up, which would slow down the government. This POPA could be moved freely at any time when people see how politicians vote, so that if someone you truly believed in originally ends up breaking their promises down the line you can merely change it to someone else. One of the biggest jokes in politics is that a politician will bust their butt to win an election, do whatever they want for half the term and then spend the last bit working to be re-elected where the cycle continues. This would not only allow us to be more invested in government, it would put an end to those kinds of politicians.

Unfortunately, the book never really grabbed me and fully held my attention. I found myself frequently distracted and sometimes chapters would go by without more than a sentence or two of notes worth writing down. I counted a good 15-20 errors altogether, and some things are repeated frequently. I can understand some repetition in a nonfiction book, especially a longer one with stand alone chapters, but in a book that's just over 100 pages it felt like the same story of Attica was brought up frequently. Finally, the author mentions early in the book that "This is not an academic work. My list of references is incomplete...". While this worried me at first that he would throw around all sorts of statistics and facts without any references, this was hardly the case. This isn't a thesis, it's a collection of information from a lifetime of research and curiosity, and while there is a list of references in the back of the book they aren't presented as footnotes or marked in the text itself.

The book wasn't perfect, sure, but the author did make some great points. He also successfully raised my interest in politics and taught me quite a bit. Angus had quite a way with comparing things in an easy-to-understand way and I never really felt confused. Like a Catholic who only goes to church for Easter and Christmas, most of us vote only during presidential elections. Instead, Angus says that not only would retaining our POPA allow us a better voice and representation, it would make us feel more passionate about politics and feel valued in our communities. My official rating of The Secret to Political Happiness is 3 out of 4 stars, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in politics regardless of your knowledge level.

To close this review, I'd like to point out my favorite comparison in the book. Angus says that when his kids turned 16 they got their permits and eventually their licenses. When they borrowed their parents’ cars they didn’t pay attention to the oil or tire pressure and often didn’t even pay much attention to the gas. However, once his son bought a car he took better care of it - he cleaned it, checked the tires and fluids, even checked the brakes. The author says this is how we should act as adults with our voice in making laws. It also makes a great point about feeling ownership for our decisions - when we merely use someone else's car now and then we never really feel like we own it, but when we buy a car with our own money we feel proud to take care of it, make it look as good as possible and keep it running well.

The Secret to Political Happiness
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I am curious about the book's content. What IS the secret to political happiness? However, I don't know that I would be able to wade through the boredom especially if it didn't grab your attention. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Good point! This is the real concern. How the voters become politically matured? This might be a title of the book instead? Sorry, but just sharing my thought. Everyone should be more politically responsible, because the future is also in their hands. I believe that God made them to be a Leader. Responsible for every voter's welfare. This is a very nice book to read not only for those who are aspiring to have a "Seat" in the government. But for those who are really, really want to serve the people for Good! Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I like the POPA concept but somehow I don't think the politicians would allow this idea to become a reality. Most of them are more invested in satisfying the lobbyists who help get them elected than in serving their constituents. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

It sounds like this book would be better suited to a different format—maybe a long magazine article? In any event, I don’t think politics is so much about happiness as it is about yelling at the TV! Maybe that’s part of the author’s point.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I love the car analogy you included at the end. I had a teacher in high school that was so dedicated to having all his students understand local, state, and federal government. He was constantly handing out voter registration applications to our class.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

So the author is advocating for more direct democracy, rather than a merely representative government? Is it this personal individual involvement (POPA) that is the secret to political happiness?
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I didn't get interested in politics until later in adulthood, so I can commiserate with you. I am rather picky, however, about things like proper citations. I know it can be difficult when you are compiling a lifetime of information, but it is difficult for me to take an author seriously without it.
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

I suppose this is something I might read if I were feeling like something light. The fact that it isn't an academic work is a bit of a turn-off, but not necessarily a dealbreaker. I suppose if the arguments are good, then it might be worth a shot. Thanks for the review, very thorough.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Am not a politics fanatic but i agree with the last stanza of your review when the author mentioned that you must take care of something as if it were your own even if it belongs to someone else.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”