Official Review: What We're Afraid to Ask

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Re: Official Review: What We're Afraid to Ask

Post by inaramid »

KamalK wrote: โ†‘26 Jan 2018, 02:21 Wow, the length of the review. You certainly brought out every detail of the book. This makes it more transparent. I don't think I'd be interested in it. But thanks for the thorough review.
I do tend to write lengthy reviews. :lol: In this case, though, there were just so many things to discuss. Thanks for dropping by.
Jonathan radovick
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathan radovick »

I didn't really like how the book was written felt like they were living on the past.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't have the training to be able to gauge whether a book like this will be totally helpful or not. I do not qualify as an abused child, but I also experienced some trauma in my life (I envy those who are totally unscathed). I can say that counseling and prayer both make the coping easier.

I feel for victims of abuse, especially children. I pray that more progress will be made in finding the correct balance of medical, psychological and spiritual intervention needed to lead them to healing.

Thanks, Inaramid, for your thoughtful review!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Jonathan radovick wrote: โ†‘26 Jan 2018, 03:58 I didn't really like how the book was written felt like they were living on the past.
I can see what you meant by that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Miriam Molina wrote: โ†‘26 Jan 2018, 16:16 I don't have the training to be able to gauge whether a book like this will be totally helpful or not. I do not qualify as an abused child, but I also experienced some trauma in my life (I envy those who are totally unscathed). I can say that counseling and prayer both make the coping easier.

I feel for victims of abuse, especially children. I pray that more progress will be made in finding the correct balance of medical, psychological and spiritual intervention needed to lead them to healing.

Thanks, Inaramid, for your thoughtful review!
The things that adults do to children--or to each other. There should really be a multidisciplinary approach in helping victims of abuse or trauma, but therapy should also be individualized according to the needs/characteristics/etc. of the person. I don't think there would ever be a universal, cure-all approach to healing psychological or spiritual wounds, but I do appreciate the book's efforts to help out a certain subset of those in need. Thank you for commenting!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Child abuse is a big issue nowadays. Sherri Board bravery describes the odds, she faced as a child. Now as a counselor, she is providing a great service to avert this menace. I like your review very much. Thanks.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

๐Ÿ“•๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿ“ฐ๐Ÿ““๐Ÿ“•
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I really appreciate that you could bring your expertise to this review, and admire how you structured it.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Maggie G wrote: โ†‘28 Jan 2018, 21:14 I really appreciate that you could bring your expertise to this review, and admire how you structured it.
Thanks, Maggie. It's part of the reason why I chose to read it. I do hope I see more that are in this field.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

A lot of people walk around with trauma stashed somewhere in their being. It's great to know the author wrote a book dedicated to helping them deal with their circumstances and overcome them much like she did hers. Thanks for the in depth review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

What We're Afraid to Ask, a book for young Christians surviving an abusive past is worth its space in the current milieu of family life. This is a good guide for both victims and abusers, to enlighten them about the repercussions of the past on the future. Thanks for your enlightening review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

My degree is in transpersonal counseling psychology, which explores the interface and the overlap between psychology and spirituality. I have not read this book, but I like your writing so I stopped by. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in each point you make. I imagine I would feel similarly about this book. Thanks for another great review. I think I will skip this one. :)
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. โ€“ the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Eva Darrington wrote: โ†‘07 Feb 2018, 18:17 My degree is in transpersonal counseling psychology, which explores the interface and the overlap between psychology and spirituality. I have not read this book, but I like your writing so I stopped by. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in each point you make. I imagine I would feel similarly about this book. Thanks for another great review. I think I will skip this one. :)
Thanks for dropping by, Eva! One of my major issues with the book is the loss of the psychological aspect of things. I just felt like it was a missed opportunity.

Looking forward to your next review, and see you around in the forums. :)
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This was a very fair and thorough review, and though I appreciate the flaws in the book, I think it is probably good that it eschews a simplistic either/or philosophy.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

I read the first paragraph and I knew I was going to buy the book!
Thanks.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

Just to add to my previous comment. I probably should have explained myself better.
I am a survivor of abuse, a majority of which was based in Christian organizations, and I find approaches and attitudes to abuse, by Christians, very interesting as I am a writer myself and am working on a comprehensive study of the subject, so this book is very relevant to me.

Return to โ€œNon-Fiction Booksโ€