Review by Stanzz -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stanzz
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: Herai
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanzz.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Review by Stanzz -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Stanzz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Morton E Tavel, MD attempts to provide a one stop shop of common sense medical advice in Health Tips, Myths and Tricks. Did he accomplish that? Let’s find out. Dr. Tavel has some obvious frustration with pseudoscientific alternative medicine, and he wants to set the record straight in an attempt that I would give 2 out of 4 stars.

Now, why only two? I’m not criticizing Dr. Tavel’s credentials, nor do I think there are any glaring factual errors in the book. There were some oversimplifications of some topics that might have benefitted from some more nuance. For example, one passage implies that Alzheimer’s and dementia are the same thing. But some oversimplification is to be expected in a book that essentially takes sixty-two shallow dives into various medical issues. The first third of the book or so is some basic advice for nutrition, healthy living, and whatnot. The second third addresses misconceptions about healthy living that many people hold. The last third discusses misleading or fraudulent claims that consumers have fallen victim to.

Now, I say shallow dives, and I mean it. Despite being a whopping sixty-two chapters long, the book itself is extremely short. How can you fit all of the information that you need to in that small a space? Well…you don’t. It’s truly a shame that Dr. Tavel seemed to have over-distilled his knowledge on these subjects. But I think that he tried to do too much at once, and while it’s a useful overview, it really didn’t bring anything new to the table for me.

I really debated on whether to give Health Tips, Tricks, and Myths two or three stars because it really wasn’t bad. It’s easy to read, it’s easy to understand, there’s nothing so wrong with it to warrant a one-star review, that’s for sure. But, if I’m completely honest, it was a bit boring. Now, I am no doctor, but I do like medicine…in theory (the practice is a tad squishy for my taste). I do a lot of reading on health and lifestyle and honestly there wasn’t much here that I didn’t already know. However, if I try to step into the shoes of someone that is overwhelmed with all of the information that is out there about what we should do to stay healthy, I think that this would be a good starting point. It’s concise, it’s clear, and it has plenty of sources to find out more information on topics that the reader finds interesting.

So overall, while this book wasn’t really for me, I think that it’s still a worthwhile book that in the right hands has the potential to do some real good. It could use some minor polish, some of the lists weren’t quite formatted correctly and the numbering was off. I wouldn’t recommend this book to someone that is already invested in learning about health. However, to someone that wants a springboard to point them in the right direction, this is the book for you.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Stanzz's review? Post a comment saying so!

EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: A Life with Significance by Jim Van Houten

Post by EvaDar »

Stanzz wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 22:56

I really debated on whether to give Health Tips, Tricks, and Myths two or three stars because it really wasn’t bad. It’s easy to read, it’s easy to understand, there’s nothing so wrong with it to warrant a one-star review, that’s for sure. But, if I’m completely honest, it was a bit boring. Now, I am no doctor, but I do like medicine…in theory (the practice is a tad squishy for my taste). I do a lot of reading on health and lifestyle and honestly there wasn’t much here that I didn’t already know. However, if I try to step into the shoes of someone that is overwhelmed with all of the information that is out there about what we should do to stay healthy, I think that this would be a good starting point. It’s concise, it’s clear, and it has plenty of sources to find out more information on topics that the reader finds interesting.
I really enjoyed your review. I debated about 2 or 3 stars as well. I also felt much of the information was old news. In addition, I felt the wholesale condemnation of alternative medicine was way overblown. For that reason, I didn't like the book that much, but feel others would benefit. Please check out my review as well. viewtopic.php?f=114&t=53462 Thanks!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Stanzz
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: Herai
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanzz.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Stanzz »

It certainly suffers from a lack of nuance. I kept thinking that if Dr. Tavel had addressed fewer topics at once, and had gone into more detail in the ones he kept, it would have vastly improved. There are some things that just take more than a couple of pages to explain properly, and there were times where he was slightly misleading in his brevity.

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq »

It's a critical review. I enjoyed it. Yes, this book includes well-known medical myths and tips, but many people are not aware of this My objection is this, that the book has only focused on side of medication, he has neglected Eastern medicines. I have also reviewed this book. Feel free to check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Like Saving Summer in a Jar
Bookshelf Size: 415
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The little Candle by Richard W. Rogers

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for pointing the difference between Alheizmer's and dementia - especially important for our time. I agree with your suggestion that this book is just a starting place with so many chapters and just a small amount of information on each topic. I thought your rating and justification were fair.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Like Saving Summer in a Jar
Bookshelf Size: 415
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The little Candle by Richard W. Rogers

Post by kdstrack »

kdstrack wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 15:35
Thanks for pointing out the difference between Alheizmer's and dementia - especially pertinent for our time. I agree with your suggestion that this book is just a starting place with so many chapters and just a small amount of information on each topic. I thought your rating and justification were fair.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”