Official Review: Out Of Silence by Ruby Monroe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Out Of Silence by Ruby Monroe

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out Of Silence" by Ruby Monroe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out of Silence by Ruby Monroe is the story of an emotionally, physically, sexually, and mentally abused young woman who rose above her situation, turned her life around and wrote her novelized life story.

Ruby, a pretty, innocent teenager, went on a cruise with her friend to celebrate her upcoming 16th birthday. There she met a great-looking guy whom she fell for the moment they noticed each other. Nineteen-year-old Jason was not only gorgeous but also well-mannered and swept Ruby Monroe off her feet. They danced together, flirted and soon became an item. When Ruby told him she was pregnant, he immediately proposed. Sure, Ruby could no longer complete her education, but she had Jason and they would have a baby together.

Soon after they married, Jason showed his true colors. He beat her, humiliated her, raped her, and even cheated on her. And he made Ruby feel like it was all her fault. These were classic signs of domestic abuse, but she was not aware of it. Ruby, who was now working, became better and better at her job, and over the years she rose to various managerial positions. Ultimately, she opened her eyes and left Jason and all her long years of abuse behind.

The first half of the book was quite difficult to read. I am a woman, and reading about another woman’s abuse, without her being able to fight back, is rather hard. I had to put the book down often because I couldn’t stomach some things Jason put Ruby through. I wanted to shout at her to leave him, to disappear and go to a women’s shelter, but then I realized that Ruby was just not ready for the big step yet. It took her over 20 years of abuse and agony, after her two children grew up, to find her backbone and do what needed to be done.

I was amazed how well Ruby could hide her physical, mental, and emotional ordeal at work from her colleagues and superiors. Nobody even had a hint that Ruby was going through extremely tough times at home. Abused people have a way of taking compartmentalization to new heights.

Domestic violence is such a pervasive problem all over the world. In the US alone, NISVS data suggest that, overall, each minute of the day, 24 people are victims of spousal violence or stalking by their partner. That’s around 12 million women and men each year. These are dry statistics, but when you drill down to the actual lives of such people like Ruby, you realize just how dire the situation really is. While it took Ruby over 20 years to leave her old life behind, she was one of the lucky ones. Because so often domestic abuse becomes murder, and the statistics for it are grim too.

Forty years later, when Ruby was already living a good life with her real love, she decided that other women could well benefit from her memoirs, from detailing her struggles for independence, her clandestine meetings with a wonderful man who would help her move on, and her realization that life after abuse is possible. You can leave your dire past behind and become what you were meant to become all along.

This book moved me more than I could say. The writing flowed smoothly and the only slight negative issue I found was that, at times, the dialogue was a bit forced. People just don’t converse in full sentences every single time they open their mouths. Even in the heat of making love, Ruby or her partner would find themselves commenting using well-thought-out sentences, which was unrealistic. However, this was a minor issue that didn’t really bother me. I found no grammatical errors in the book, which means it was properly edited. Therefore, I rate Out of Silence 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who has experienced abuse, knows someone who is going through domestic ordeals, or simply enjoys reading novelized autobiographies that move and touch one’s heart.

Out Of Silence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
tchrismore
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tchrismore »

This book sounds very interesting and I think some of my Bronx HS students would love it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can imagine how difficult a book this would be to read. I appreciate that she was able to rise above her situation, though. I think for now I'm going to skip this one. I may re-examine reading it in the future. I just don't think I'm in the frame of mind to read about all the abuse. Thanks, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ecinaj36
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ecinaj36 »

As a woman domestic violence is not just an issue but also a mind opening situation...it tells us to always put our mind over our heart..loving someone is acommitment,a long time and even a lifetime commitment...
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Wonderfully written review on a book that covers a very painful and all-too-familiar epidemic. This book sounds relevant now more than ever, and I hope that many readers from all different genders and backgrounds consider reading this autobiography.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Maybe every country has this problem of Domestic violence. This book is very relevant nowadays. Hope many concerns should read this. You have a very nice review. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
lykavaldez05
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by lykavaldez05 »

This is a wonderful book. But to be honest, while reading it I want to stop to read because it hurts me. Im also a woman and it disgust me when her husband abuse her. I can say ruby is a tough woman. The story is great although it breaks my heart.. 😭😭😭😭
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

It is really heartbreaking how some husbands treat their women. That's a shame.
Great review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”