Review by vanyc620 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
vanyc620
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanyc620.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by vanyc620 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by vanyc620 » 14 Jan 2018, 20:53

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I began reading And Then I Met Margaret with a level of tentative skepticism but ended up reflecting on myself more than I had initially expected. The whole 'guru' aspect of the book made me brace myself for unrealistic idealism, but I'm happy to say that this wasn't the case at all.

Rob White structures his book chronologically so that we first get a sense of his background as a small-town mill boy. We're introduced to the first couple 'gurus' here, from White's aunt and uncle to a complete stranger. From here, White's curiosity and growing aspirations carry him away from small-town tradition and into the city before landing him seemingly objective success. However, in the face of financial and emotional turbulence, White continues to learn from other 'gurus' and, consequently, identifies his own flaws.

I like how the audience walks through these chapters as if they are besides White through his life journey. He narrates the book through a personable lens that exposes his inner turmoil, doubt, and ego. In the beginning, there is a nice balance between puerility and mature reflection. It's obvious that the goal of the book isn't to preach pure optimism; rather, all of these unique experiences (ranging from momentous to minute) build upon each other to add more "wholeness" to White's life. I also like how White mentions personal problems (superficiality and egotism), social ones (fitting in and societal expectations), and financial problems ($3 Million lost to a fault) instead of basing things purely off of emotional or economic issues. It adds a more complete image of individual growth that I could easily relate to.

In terms of format, I like how each chapter includes a personal "myth" that's replaced with "reality". It helped me mentally organize each guru with his or her respective lesson. It also gave me a point of reference to go off of so that I was better able to substantiate the lesson (sometimes I would read the chapter and get a gist of the "reality" but wouldn't be fully able to pinpoint it).

It's impossible not to reflect after reading this book. These lessons are things that many people go through, albeit not always in the form of an unabashed school girl or multi-million dollar investment. They are also things that made me realize I harbored a few of these inhibiting "myths". The harmony between entertainment and wisdom is prevalent throughout the book, laced with quips and dialogue sure to keep an audiences attention. It is an inspirational, well-written read which is why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like vanyc620's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Eva Darrington
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Tofu From Scratch by Iris Blume

Post by Eva Darrington » 24 Jan 2018, 19:46

vanyc620 wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 20:53

In terms of format, I like how each chapter includes a personal "myth" that's replaced with "reality". It helped me mentally organize each guru with his or her respective lesson. It also gave me a point of reference to go off of so that I was better able to substantiate the lesson (sometimes I would read the chapter and get a gist of the "reality" but wouldn't be fully able to pinpoint it).
I enjoyed reading your review. Very thorough. I agree that the organization of the book is very helpful in carrying the idea of each story forward. I liked that each chapter ends with the myth and the transformed belief. I had some problems with the author's inability to integrate his own lessons, but I liked many aspects of the book. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html Thanks.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

BookishCreature
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: Crowning the Slug Queen by L.M. Fortin

Post by BookishCreature » 25 Jan 2018, 12:29

Awesome review - you're a great writer! I liked the myth vs. reality format as well. It made each lesson easily digestible.

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 103
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Simple Twist of Fate by Deanna Johnson

Post by kdstrack » 26 Jan 2018, 21:41

I liked what you said about the reader walking through the book with the author. His honesty in the different chapters personalized the book and helps the reader connect. Your review shows that the author reached his goal of being to inspire his readers. Nice review. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”