Official Review: You Can't Pigeon Hole Me by David M Hood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: You Can't Pigeon Hole Me by David M Hood

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Can't Pigeon Hole Me" by David M Hood.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Can’t Pigeon Hole Me : Life Under the Knife is an inspiring and encouraging memoir by David M. Hood.

With a foreword by Termina Ashton, the book is about one man’s victorious struggle through life of constant need for medical attention by using the Law of Attraction which when understood and practised brings happiness and success.

David was born in 1956 with the worst case of Pigeon Chest. Instead of protecting his heart, the bones of his left rib cage were protruding outwards from his chest with only a membrane of skin covering his heart and left lung. His mother Jean, undaunted and filled with unconditional love for her offspring never gave up until she found Dr. Russell Howard, a pioneer in the treatment of Pigeon and Funnel Chest in the 50s and 60s. Young David underwent an operation when he was six years old, the first of a series of operations he would undergo in his lifetime.

David suffered not only from his physical deformity but also from abuse (in the form of bullying), insecurity and self-pity. His asthma didn’t make things any easier for David, and was only among several medical issues he had to contend with which included prostate and skin cancer later in life.

To say life has been difficult for David was an understatement. Only when he met Termina Ashton, his friend and mentor, did he learn about the Law of Attraction through the popular documentary film ‘The Secret’ by Rhonda Byrne. The Law of Attraction is probably best and most easily explained in the statement ‘if you strongly believe that something should happen, it will certainly happen’. Luckily for me, I have watched the film and am quite familiar with ‘The Law of Attraction’ which I, myself, believe and live by.

This is a poignant, inspiring and encouraging book about one man’s unshakable courage, unrelenting determination and unwavering perseverance. Though others may find him simply as a stubborn man who has a knack for getting himself in trouble, for me, he is a man who was never afraid to live and to live life to the fullest.

He unselfishly shared his most personal experiences even the most embarrassing ones. He bared his soul to the world and expressed his fears and insecurities leaving him exposed and vulnerable. Moreover, though the book is primarily a memoir, it is also a treasure trove of invaluable tips, practical advice and words of wisdom in the form of bulleted sentences at the end of each chapter. Some of his advice concern bullying, consideration to other people’s (especially those with deformity) feelings, sacrifice, living in the moment, finding the positive in negative situations and coping with change among others.

The book is an easy read and even quite humorous, probably evidence of the author’s lightheartedness and cheerful disposition. However, I noticed several typo errors within the entire book including missing apostrophes and missing words (like doctors grim prognosis and to be able hold).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is touching, inspiring and encouraging. I recommend it to readers who enjoy stories about rising above adversity.

You Can't Pigeon Hole Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Pigeon chest does sound like a horrendous condition to be born with - add rib cage to the long list of things I take for granted. It's great that the writer was supported by his mother's unconditional love and he clearly picked up on her perseverance.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree with ButerscotchCherrie. That sounds like a horrible condition to live with and then to have to undergo all of those surgeries. It sounds like the author has a great attitude, though. This book would be encouraging for anyone! Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 06:15 Pigeon chest does sound like a horrendous condition to be born with - add rib cage to the long list of things I take for granted. It's great that the writer was supported by his mother's unconditional love and he clearly picked up on her perseverance.
So true. There simply are too many things we take for granted that we should be thankful for. Thank you for the comment.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 08:22 I agree with ButerscotchCherrie. That sounds like a horrible condition to live with and then to have to undergo all of those surgeries. It sounds like the author has a great attitude, though. This book would be encouraging for anyone! Thanks so much!
You're welcome. It's a very inspiring and encouraging book :)
mrbukuen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rocky</a>
Currently Reading: Death on Demand
Bookshelf Size: 117

Post by mrbukuen »

Wow!! This so amazed, nothing can stop me from reading this book cos the review on it, sound like a heavy rain...
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

mrbukuen wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 14:06 Wow!! This so amazed, nothing can stop me from reading this book cos the review on it, sound like a heavy rain...
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems encouraging and also intense!!
Admirable review!!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 23:28 Plot seems encouraging and also intense!!
Admirable review!!
Thank you. It's non-fiction.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

When I read reviews like this, it makes me wish I liked memoir more. I feel like I should want to read it more because there are so many inspiring people out there, and I like to hear their stories, but only rarely like to read them. Thanks for the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kat Berg wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 21:58 When I read reviews like this, it makes me wish I liked memoir more. I feel like I should want to read it more because there are so many inspiring people out there, and I like to hear their stories, but only rarely like to read them. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. It's a very inspiring book.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

" life can chose to back you down, but it depends on you to stand up!" I believe this is what this book is all about. Great review! And the book is worth reading!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 23:17 " life can chose to back you down, but it depends on you to stand up!" I believe this is what this book is all about. Great review! And the book is worth reading!
Thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

This book is definitely a must read for everyone. David must have passed through hard times but I am glad to know that at some point in his life he got to live life to the fullest and be happy. Thanks for review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Hildah Mose wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 05:18 This book is definitely a must read for everyone. David must have passed through hard times but I am glad to know that at some point in his life he got to live life to the fullest and be happy. Thanks for review.
You're welcome. It's a really inspiring book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”