Official Review: Memories of a "Warrior"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Memories of a "Warrior"

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memories of a "Warrior"" by Richard A. Balliet.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Memories of a “Warrior” by Richard A Balliet is an autobiographical memoir about the author’s experience in Vietnam. This book focuses on one year of the author’s life, from December 1965 to November 1966, as he served his country as an aviator for a battalion named the “Winged Warriors.” The book goes into detail about his duties, various missions he participated in, and some of the more personal aspects of his time in Vietnam.

The book is told in the first person perspective. The author employs a conversational tone, speaking directly to the reader as he recounts the various events that took place within his year while stationed in Vietnam. The tone of the book was one of the best aspects as it helped provide the narrator a clear voice that one could easily connect back to the stories being described. Additionally, the author has added quite a few pictures throughout the narrative which worked to enhance the author’s story by bringing to life the various people and places described. It was enjoyable to study the pictures, and I found they helped me gain more insight about specific details of the author’s experiences.

Unfortunately, some aspects of the novel were rather monotonous. The author’s voice really shined when he focused on his personal feelings about his reflections. For example, one could feel his mixed emotions when recounting a story about the accidental death of a child and how this event continues to haunt him today. However, much of the narrative is dedicated to describing logistical aspects of his duties and providing technical details about various missions; these parts tended to be less successful. The writing seemed to lack the necessary finesse to convey these events as a warrior’s story instead of as a simple retelling of events. Simply put, many sections of the book fell flat and were tedious to read through.

Much of the narrative is a compilation of separate anecdotes and descriptions of events the author experienced while serving his tour in Vietnam. However, the book is organized into broad chapters covering one month periods; this meant sometimes a lot of material and many events were crammed into one chapter and only distinctively set apart from one another by a line break. Occasionally this proved to be confusing, but mostly, it stilted the narrative flow. The narrative would have been better suited to individual chapters or at least the use of separate titles to denote the various events and stories described within each of the month-long chapters.

Although there were some successful aspects of this memoir, like the conversational tone employed by the author and the addition of various visual aids, the narrator failed to consistently shine through in his stories, making for a monotonous read. I had a tough time rating Memories of a “Warrior,” but I decided on a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. If the author had better connected his voice to his stories and organized the narrative so it flowed more methodically, I could have gone with a higher rating. I only recommend this book for enthusiasts of non-fiction who are specifically looking for personal insight about the Vietnam War.

Memories of a "Warrior"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bigiemm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bigiemm »

Loving the story line
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I understand your frustrations. In it's current state, this is not a book I would read. It requires some serious editing.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I hope I could read this book. There's a lot of things to learn from experiences of a person. Most of this are very practical anecdote that could be applied in real life. Nice review. Thank you!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Knowing more than a few veterans, I can appreciate that this was probably a really hard book for the author to write. Hopefully putting some of his feelings to paper helped him digest some of what he experienced. Perhaps all of the monotonous details were included to help "man up" the book a bit.
obiora111
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by obiora111 »

" I hope I could read this book. There's a lot of things to learn from experiences of a person. ". And I would love to know about Vietnam wars in this book.. thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think sometimes authors feel the need to add all those details for authenticity. However, that really just bogs the story down. It's too bad because it sounds like the author has a good story to tell. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Nice review. Memories had its own unique experiences and it only relates to those people who undergone the same thing. I remember something when I experienced to be in the middle of a war. Thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”