Official Review: CyberDayze by Gina Davis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: CyberDayze by Gina Davis

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "CyberDayze" by Gina Davis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

CyberDayze by Gina Davis is, as the author puts it, a “Work of creative non-fiction”. It is a standalone novel and suitable for adults, due to some erotic content.

The story details bits in the life of the author, so even though she has changed some names to protect identities, it is still a type of autobiographical fiction and a depiction of certain events leading to a life change for her. Specifics in the story range from traumatic and good points in her childhood, her relationships with family and friends, her love of music, her depression and manic highs, and her unhappy marriage. The book is written partly as recollections and partly as copies of the Facebook messages she and others used for communication.

The story itself is actually quite a difficult read, both in its context and the way in which it was written. The chapters range from one to several pages, with a number of pictures interspersed, so the flow chops and changes constantly. Different fonts are used for different speeches, so some parts about her past are written in an easy to read font, while the Facebook messages are in bold italics, which gave me eye strain and I had to take a lot of breaks while reading. The language of the messages uses a lot of “text speak”, so unless the reader is comfortable with LIT, or GG, or BTB, you find yourself going back to the explanations in the beginning. There are a lot of intentional spelling errors because of this, and when the author is going through one of her bipolar highs she rants without commas, and sometimes has no spaces between words. This creates long sentences without recognisable words that take time to unravel and break the flow of comfortable reading.

What I did enjoy about the book was the frank look at the cyberworld. It reiterated how easily you could hide behind different personas/Facebook accounts and just as easily be hacked and stalked by someone with superior technological knowledge. Without the face to face contact the author showed how inhibitions can take a back seat and that people become bolder in expressing their desires. She found herself in a situation where she craved the “power” she could have over someone in a sexual way, and when it threatened to spill over into real life she had to choose between following through on her promises or doing what was constrained by her marriage vows. The psychological aspect of the harm that “living” in cyberspace, or being as addicted to correspondence as she was, could also make for interesting counselling sessions and shouldn’t be swept aside as “just a little chat with a friend”.

The book ultimately chronicles the reasons she felt justified in doing what she wanted, and in the end actually helped her to take the steps she needed to break away from a caustic marriage. She was very cavalier in her approach and while a lot of it came across as narcissistic, I definitely caught glimpses of why she did it. I rate CyberDayze 2 out of 4 stars and would recommend it for adults only, due to some of the more intense themes and conversations. One star was taken away for the difficult way in which the story was written, and the other for the story itself, as I had to push myself to finish the book and didn’t feel it really had an impact on me.

CyberDayze
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This almost sounds like it's written more for the author than the readers. I don't think I'd enjoy it, so I'm going to skip it. Thanks for the information, though. It helped form my opinion.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Well, with intentional errors, it seems that the only thing the book would have become, difficult to read. I would let this book pass. I may not be perfect in grammar, but anyone who makes such mistakes intentionally should not have a place in the literary world.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Paul78 wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 10:50 Well, with intentional errors, it seems that the only thing the book would have become, difficult to read. I would let this book pass. I may not be perfect in grammar, but anyone who makes such mistakes intentionally should not have a place in the literary world.
While I agree that this book sounds like a hard pass (this is the kind of book written for the author more than for the reader, in my opinion), I do have to disagree with your position that no writer who uses intentional grammatical errors deserves a place in literature. I would point you to Joyce, Faulkner, Thompson, and Kerouac as counter-examples to your argument. Intentional mistakes can convey a range of emotion and divide straight narration from stream-of-conscience. It just sounds like this book in particular failed to live up to its own ambitions.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The book has great potential but I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea of using private Facebook messages in a book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review, that is a shame that you got these impressions of the book when the topic is actually very interesting to explore.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 16:36
Paul78 wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 10:50 Well, with intentional errors, it seems that the only thing the book would have become, difficult to read. I would let this book pass. I may not be perfect in grammar, but anyone who makes such mistakes intentionally should not have a place in the literary world.
I do have to disagree with your position that no writer who uses intentional grammatical errors deserves a place in literature. I would point you to Joyce, Faulkner, Thompson, and Kerouac as counter-examples to your argument. Intentional mistakes can convey a range of emotion and divide straight narration from stream-of-conscience.
I agree and have to admit that I have struggled with a couple of books that I have reviewed. In those cases, it is obvious that the author is writing dialogue using vernacular phrases as a way to give an authentic voice to the character. However, those should be technically counted as errors due to poor grammar. While these authors aren't at the level of those you mention, I have come across several with a interesting story to tell. In such cases, I try to assess the author's intent in their use of language in trying to come to a fair rating.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”