Official Review: Gangs and the Military by Carter F. Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: Gangs and the Military by Carter F. Smith

Post by kandscreeley »

N_R wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 00:33 Thanks for the review, sounds like it is definitely a book to keep you thinking. Not too sure offhand what is meant by gangs within the military but I am sure I would find out if I read the book!!
It just means gang members who join the military but are still active in their gangs. Thanks for commenting!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if this is a comprehensive work of non-fiction, though really only suitable for a certain audience as you say. Who knew the history of gangs went back to the 1600s? Wow!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 09:52 It sounds as if this is a comprehensive work of non-fiction, though really only suitable for a certain audience as you say. Who knew the history of gangs went back to the 1600s? Wow!
I know, right! Of course, back then it was more like river pirates... Still. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I learned that gangs were a real problem in the military about ten years ago. I had no idea! And they are also a big problem in communities near military bases.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 15:59 I learned that gangs were a real problem in the military about ten years ago. I had no idea! And they are also a big problem in communities near military bases.
Really?? May I ask how? I think it's something that most people don't even think about... I sure didn't before this book.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 16:10
CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 15:59 I learned that gangs were a real problem in the military about ten years ago. I had no idea! And they are also a big problem in communities near military bases.
Really?? May I ask how? I think it's something that most people don't even think about... I sure didn't before this book.
A police officer spoke on the issue at a workshop that I attended. Gangs lure teenage dependents of parents who are deployed, trying to give them a "father figure," to replace the one who is gone.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 16:18
kandscreeley wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 16:10
A police officer spoke on the issue at a workshop that I attended. Gangs lure teenage dependents of parents who are deployed, trying to give them a "father figure," to replace the one who is gone.
Interesting. There were a lot of officers and different people quoted in the book. I wonder if your officer was one of them!
—Neil Gaiman
Mrera
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mrera »

This book very good and I liked it very much.Thanks to author
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

Great review! I knew that there are times when gang members are given the option of joining the military, rather than serving jail time, I just never really thought of the implications of that. Did he discuss this aspect in the book? Based on your review, it sounds like I may not be a fan of how it is written (I would get frustrated with the repetition, knowing that there are better ways to book this into book, rather than government report, form for the general population). But the subject is at least of mild interest to me.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

It is interesting book to read! I thank the Author for being braved enough to come out this information open to the public. More interesting if it is back up with true evidence, "Well documented evidence." Though there's a lot of rumors even shown in Television, heard in the News that some Military are really involved not only in gang but in Terrorism. Hope I can find time to read this book. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Great review! The offering of solutions was what struck me the most. A lot of books are good at discussing problems, but few offer any concrete steps that readers might take in response to the problem. I do agree that it's for a selected group of readers, but the information you've provided here will certainly guide the target audience toward it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 23:37 Great review! I knew that there are times when gang members are given the option of joining the military, rather than serving jail time, I just never really thought of the implications of that. Did he discuss this aspect in the book? Based on your review, it sounds like I may not be a fan of how it is written (I would get frustrated with the repetition, knowing that there are better ways to book this into book, rather than government report, form for the general population). But the subject is at least of mild interest to me.
Yes. He covers that aspect of gangs as well. Thanks for commenting. You could easily skim past the parts you've read before.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

BookHausJ wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 00:30 It is interesting book to read! I thank the Author for being braved enough to come out this information open to the public. More interesting if it is back up with true evidence, "Well documented evidence." Though there's a lot of rumors even shown in Television, heard in the News that some Military are really involved not only in gang but in Terrorism. Hope I can find time to read this book. Nice review!
Thanks for commenting. He does provide plenty of evidence. You might try it.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 09:24 Great review! The offering of solutions was what struck me the most. A lot of books are good at discussing problems, but few offer any concrete steps that readers might take in response to the problem. I do agree that it's for a selected group of readers, but the information you've provided here will certainly guide the target audience toward it.
Thanks iniramid. It's probably something more of us need to be aware of. Only then will something be done about it.
—Neil Gaiman
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by sherif olabode »

Just finished reading the book. It starts off with a foundation in gang history rather than just jumping into today’s issues. Well written, filled with applicable data for those having to deal with these issues in both the military and civilian law enforcement. These issues have not been given the attention they need. I can highly recommend this book. It should be read by every Chief of Police and incorporated into LE training programs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”