Official Review: Literacy and orality by Ruth finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Official Review: Literacy and orality by Ruth finnegan

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Literacy and orality" by Ruth finnegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“How will developments in information technology affect political participation, for example, economic development, the quality of life or human communication? Will ‘IT ’ revolutionize current forms of organization and democratic participation, or will it merely reinforce existing power divisions? Are we entering a new age with new modes of thinking, new concepts of the self, new notions of what it is to be a ‘human being’?“

The book Literacy and Orality by Ruth Finnegan is a literary text that deals with the conception and evolution of two seminal cultural practices that are universally observed and celebrated: literacy and orality. It attempts to dismantle preconceived notions and dominant social assumptions about these vastly misunderstood cultural practices. It also attempts to understand the nature of “communication and its implications for human thought and action in a comparative and historical framework”. It also adds value to recent works of social anthropology and history, infusing heavily elements of first-hand field researched into the theories that the author has presented to the reader.

As a literature student, I feel like this is perhaps the most interesting text I have come across in quite a while. The eloquence and finesse with which the author presents such complicated ideas with simplicity is quite characteristic of this author (as I found out after I read more of her books). The topics that the author has talked about are certainly esoteric and not everyone’s cup of tea, but the way the author has talked about these ideas has made them palatable to the mainstream crowd. Any literature, social anthropology, or history enthusiast will fall in love with this book. I found it to be an absolutely irresistible read.

The subject matter of this text is evidently literacy and orality, two indispensable cultural practices that have invariably endured the test of time. The narrative begins with talking about the recent IT revolution and its inevitable implications on the existing hierarchies and modes of thinking. It also explores the philosophical underpinnings of such a revolution and what it can mean for humanity. From there it takes us to West Africa to better understand the subject matter. The simple question is this: “Are ‘oral’ peoples necessarily unreflective, simple or concrete in their thinking? “

While I certainly understand that this is an esoteric text and would appeal to a certain crowd, I strongly feel that this text deserves 4 out of 4 stars, for a number of reasons. The author has extensively researched before writing this text and has provided data to go with her theories. She has eloquently brought together different elements of history, literature, and social anthropology and created a unified, coherent, and wonderful text.

Literacy and orality
View: on Bookshelves

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

There maybe some aspect that IT will complicate the two cultural practices. But both practices will benefit the IT revolution. Well in fact it will reinforce both. You made me think to read this book with your reviews. Thank you!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The author has done a good job in presenting her ideas to the present world situations. The impact "IT" has on this world, the influence it has on our lives has been present. Good review by the reviewer in reminding us about this.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one. It sounds a bit too complex or academic for me. The subject is an important one. Thanks for introducing this one to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is apparently an academic book to me. I would like to read this author's work. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Thank you so much! it's a beautiful book.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

You have got me very curious! I will need to check this book out. It is interesting with what is happening in our world that is considering giving a robot citizenship, where AI's will write their own language (without programmer permission!) to facilitate talking between other AI's. We live in a new and fascinating world and I am curious to see how she processes that.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review- this sounds like a really interesting book. I think that this is a great topic for the day and reading it as a literary student would have been interesting. I often wonder whether we are getting dumber :(
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book that deals with the cultural effects of literacy and orality sounds too academic for me as well. It is great that the author managed to present her ideas in an easy manner. That the book is well researched is to its credit. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you found the book interesting. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

It seems quite interesting and as a student of Literature I will give it a try. Thanks for the review.
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

HouseOfAtticus wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 06:07 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Literacy and orality" by Ruth finnegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“How will developments in information technology affect political participation, for example, economic development, the quality of life or human communication? Will ‘IT ’ revolutionize current forms of organization and democratic participation, or will it merely reinforce existing power divisions? Are we entering a new age with new modes of thinking, new concepts of the self, new notions of what it is to be a ‘human being’?“

The book Literacy and Orality by Ruth Finnegan is a literary text that deals with the conception and evolution of two seminal cultural practices that are universally observed and celebrated: literacy and orality. It attempts to dismantle preconceived notions and dominant social assumptions about these vastly misunderstood cultural practices. It also attempts to understand the nature of “communication and its implications for human thought and action in a comparative and historical framework”. It also adds value to recent works of social anthropology and history, infusing heavily elements of first-hand field researched into the theories that the author has presented to the reader.

As a literature student, I feel like this is perhaps the most interesting text I have come across in quite a while. The eloquence and finesse with which the author presents such complicated ideas with simplicity is quite characteristic of this author (as I found out after I read more of her books). The topics that the author has talked about are certainly esoteric and not everyone’s cup of tea, but the way the author has talked about these ideas has made them palatable to the mainstream crowd. Any literature, social anthropology, or history enthusiast will fall in love with this book. I found it to be an absolutely irresistible read.

The subject matter of this text is evidently literacy and orality, two indispensable cultural practices that have invariably endured the test of time. The narrative begins with talking about the recent IT revolution and its inevitable implications on the existing hierarchies and modes of thinking. It also explores the philosophical underpinnings of such a revolution and what it can mean for humanity. From there it takes us to West Africa to better understand the subject matter. The simple question is this: “Are ‘oral’ peoples necessarily unreflective, simple or concrete in their thinking? “

While I certainly understand that this is an esoteric text and would appeal to a certain crowd, I strongly feel that this text deserves 4 out of 4 stars, for a number of reasons. The author has extensively researched before writing this text and has provided data to go with her theories. She has eloquently brought together different elements of history, literature, and social anthropology and created a unified, coherent, and wonderful text.

Literacy and orality
View: on Bookshelves

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Such an interesting topic. The IT revolution is something we have all just accepted and I have never really thought about how it will change the future of communication. Literacy has already changed to include being technology literate as well as the traditional definition.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

The book sounds well written in terms of the topic of literacy and orality. It doesn't appeal to me so I wouldn't read it.
You have written a great review that will aid the book find its target audience.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

This is a well thought out review. It is detailed and it is candid and it was obviously the right book for you. I am glad you found it an interesting and educative read. I am willing to read it because I love literature.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an educational non-fiction book that deals with technological advances and how they affect the concept of being human. I am not a big fan of books in this genre, but this book had an amazing onlinebookclub review that convinced me to read it. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

This review sounds like literature tutorials, which I seriously need. Thank for the review.
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”