Review by BookHausJ -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by BookHausJ -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by BookHausJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Following is a review of And Then I Met Margaret by: Rob White]

The book “And Then I Met Margaret” by Rob White, consist of 195 pages and published by Mind Adventure Inc., is the author’s personal story anthology. This is a non-fiction book and categorized as a driving force chronicle.

The subject matter of this book includes the sequence of events of the author's life who live in a small town and grew up surrounded with the mindset of must work as a factory worker after graduating high school. His environment has a tradition of “Like father like son and follow me where ever I go mentality.” The anguished on his mind just to be a good son put him to a bigger challenge if he will just go with the flow of the wind. But his situations never stop him from dreaming and getting his aspiration. In the end he just followed his heart and was able to finished college in the University and became a Teacher.

As I described this book a driving force chronicle, many of the stories are overflowing edification cultured from the people he had met while setting his mind to achieved important goal in life. One of the best scenes I have read is when the Author took his final exam in English Lit 101. He signed up for a literature course and figured out that the course is easy sailing. He didn’t bother to check the reputations of various professors before enrolling for their courses. But he found out that the teacher of English courses is labeled as being “Executioner.” One of the teachers is Dr. Tucker and he learned that many of the students who enrolled on his subject flunked out of college. The author is so practical and he didn’t want it to happen so he decided that he is going to “Cheat.” The decision satisfied him when he notice that one of the student by the name Norman had never shown studying and described as being lazy and only love partying. Norman told the secret by telling him “If you can’t beat them, cheat them.” But the idea never succeeded and Dr. Tucker caught him cheating during the exam. Dr. Tucker did his action on a very humane approach. He invited Bob White to visit his office the following day and instructed him to bring the cheat sheet he has. During the confrontation, Dr Tucker ask Mr. White where he came from, what his dad do for a living and reason for wanting to attend college. The author answered the two question briefly but unsure on the third. The final verdict of Dr. Tucker after the confrontation is allowing him to repeat the exam without the cheat sheet. The author finished the exam and got the B-plus. The parting word told by Dr. Tucker is, “This is not about me, it’s about you. You can use your brain correctly or you can use it to destroy your life.” The author felt sorry for himself, and he cried for the second chance he got.

The writing style of the author made this book more interesting because at the end of every chapter he expound the “Myth” he believed in and the “Reality he discovered.” It makes every chapter contain in this book more logical. I agree with the author when he said, “Stand for what you believe, and you have the power to persist.” Because to succeed in the game of life, is not a matter of starting it, but a matter of finishing it. When I read this book I can relate because during early age of my life the most popular topic of most of my friends is to graduate from High School. Get their Graduate Certificate or Diploma and go abroad and find their luck. If this not happened, then work for the factory. It has never in their mind a topic about entering college. Because what they believe is work early to support the family.

Though I found some error such as double word and wrong spellings, but it doesn’t affect my understanding on reading this book. And it doesn’t affect giving this book a rating of 4 out of 4 star rating because all the way from chapter one to twenty one, the content of the book is really inspiring. I recommend this book to those who love to read personal and rug to riches story.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookHausJ's review? Post a comment saying so!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

You are quite fortunate to have read this book. Were you aware that it was nominated as the book of the month of January?
I have enjoyed reading your review. I already can see the plot of the book even before I access it.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
BookHausJ

Post by BookHausJ »

Thank you Paul78. Yes, I've just learned that it was nominated book of the month for January. I'm really excited because it's very inspiring book. I highly recommend it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely seems like an inspirational read. I'm working on reading this one myself. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BookHausJ

Post by BookHausJ »

Yes, thank you kandscreeley. Hope you could find time to read this book. So very enlightening too.
Harsh_15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Harsh_15 »

This book seems to be motivating to look forward to the dream you are confident about and want to achieve instead of just following the myths of the society.
No doubt that reading this will inspire to do hard work to get the desired destination.
BookHausJ

Post by BookHausJ »

I would say that's correct Harsh_15! Hope you could find time to read this book also.
sokopii

Post by sokopii »

I look forward to reading this book. From all indication it will captivating
BookHausJ

Post by BookHausJ »

That's Great sokopi !! Hope you can find time to read this book also. Every chapter is really captivating.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for this review, it is quite different from another review I read for this book. I have just started to read it and it sounds very motivational. People have described it as a self-help book which I normally don't like but I am enjoying this one so far.
BookHausJ

Post by BookHausJ »

Thank you N_R! Enjoy reading!
INES KOUKI

Post by INES KOUKI »

Thank you so much for this review! It's really an inspired book and the new generation can learn a lot from the story of this book. I really liked.
BookHausJ

Post by BookHausJ »

Thank you INES KOUKI. It's really one of the good book that I have read. It's Very inspiring. Hope you could find time to read it.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Thank you for this informative review. This may be considered as self-help, motivational book, and at times a bit preachy. But that is consistent with its goal of self-transformation. This may be a book to read not for enjoyment but for the lessons taught.
BookHausJ

Post by BookHausJ »

Roggyrus wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 10:04 Thank you for this informative review. This may be considered as self-help, motivational book, and at times a bit preachy. But that is consistent with its goal of self-transformation. This may be a book to read not for enjoyment but for the lessons taught.
That's correct Roggyrus! A self-help book like this would eventually help people in a sort of transformation. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”