Official Review: Change Maker by Rebecca Austill-Clausen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Change Maker by Rebecca Austill-Clausen

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Change Maker" by Rebecca Austill-Clausen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When people talk about death, they usually associate it with the end of life. In Rebecca Austill-Clausen’s book, Change Maker: How My Brother’s Death Woke Up My Life, she teaches us that death is not the end. It is more like the start of a new chapter of life. She shows us that people do not really die. We only transition from one life to another. Rebecca shares a part of her life in Change Maker, specifically on how her brother’s death prompted her spiritual awakening.

Before her brother’s death, Rebecca is like any other workaholic business owner we know. She works 80-100 hours a week. She spends more time working than spending time with her husband and two children. She loves to multi-task. She spends her free time doing more work. Consequently, her stress level is always high. Whenever she goes on a vacation, she experiences headaches. All these changed when Daniel died. She loved her brother. She mourned when he died. However, her heart felt lighter after she dreamed of an animal that held the essence of her brother. This dream, along with other significant events, started Rebecca’s spiritual journey.

Change Maker is enthralling and thought-provoking. Rebecca has a way of capturing her readers for long periods of time without boring them in the middle. Although I do not personally know the author, I love how this book felt personal to me. Someone close to me recently passed away. Like Rebecca, I read books on the afterlife, spirits, and metaphysical (some were even mentioned in the book as a reference). It delights me to know that there is a way to communicate to with my loved ones even after their death. Additionally, I like how she tries to question things. It felt more natural rather than readily accepting everything. I also enjoyed her accounts of fairies, meditation, crystals, and energy fields.

The book is easy to read. There are ten chapters in the book. Each book ends with an “Illumination” – somewhat like a piece of advice to readers who want to pursue their spiritual journey. I chose to read it at leisure and contemplate on the author’s words before I continued to another chapter. I did not finish reading it in one sitting, but I felt more relaxed with each chapter I completed.

I easily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Change Maker: How My Brother’s Death Woke Up My Life by Rebecca Austill-Clausen is a beautiful memoir. It is written in first person point-of-view. I did not notice any errors, which led me to believe that this was professionally edited. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in topics such as the afterlife, meditation, new-age philosophy, and other self-help books.

Change Maker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

Thank you for a well articulated review. I love the new definition of death as a transion of one life form to another. It helps me not to fear death so much.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this is my cup of tea, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I do like the fact that the author sums up the chapter with a kind of takeaway "illumination." I think that's a great thing to meditate on and sump up the chapter. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Not my kind of book, but I do like the meditation aspect and am glad it was meaningful to you.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Although I don't do yoga, new age or fairies, I believe in the hereafter. The body may go back to dust, but the soul lives on. Death, like graduation, is a commencement. Life on Earth is just the foreword to the Book of Life.
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

This is definitely a different perspective and seems like a book that has a very personal impact on people. The review highlights the main thesis very well. I will not read it now, but it is something I will old onto for when I go through something similar.
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

I was forced by the reviews to read the book and it is a nice one to dealt with.
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

This book is one of the best I ever come across looking at the reviews alone nothing will stop you from reading this book.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Life after Death. This truth was established in the Bible by Jesus Christ himself. Though I have no idea or had never experienced yet that someone who is mortal can talk to a spirit who are already dead. But I have no right to judge the Author for writing this book. Experience is different from opinion. And I think it's really hard to write a book if you have no experience for something. Reading this book is interesting. I'll find a way to read this book. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a relatable account of how a life-changing event can provoke spiritual growth. Thanks for the excellent review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Mary Wangare
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mary Wangare »

Not the kind of story I would prefer to read over and over but generally I like the use of illumination. The writer has given a great flow of the book that gives the reader the urge to finish reading it.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Thanks for the revelation in your review. This book would be interesting to me. I have been exposed to some topics on Oriental Philosophy. Life-after-death concepts are expounded deeply in this philosophy. I am amazed that my Catholic upbringing does not present much friction with these tenets. There is a complementary relationship as I have found. I will read this book.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Jesskid
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Jesskid »

The review has made me read the whole book.. Its one of the best i have read.Thanks for the review
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Change Maker is a beautiful memoir. The topics of spirituality, meditation and life after death are Appalling. Great review. Do check mine.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It sounds like you were able to really connect with this book. I always good to read reviews resulting from that connection.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”