Official Review: Good War, Great Men. by Andrew J. Capets

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Good War, Great Men. by Andrew J. Capets

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good War, Great Men." by Andrew J. Capets.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Few people think about WWI the same way they think about WWII, the war which everyone believes to have had a stronger impact on our modern life. Yet, WWI has created the modern mechanical warfare. It also brought mass death on such a large scale. And it was the first war where PTSD became a thing (even though back in the day they called it “shell shock”).

In Good War, Great Men.: 313th Machine Gun Battalion of World War I, Andrew J. Capets wants us to remember the great American soldiers who fought away from their country. His own grandfather, Andy Capets, was part of it, even though once he went back home, he never talked about those times anymore. A proud War Veteran, Andy Capets experienced it all. But his name was often forgotten during Memorial Day observation events. In fact, his name was not even added on the bronze plaque until much later. Often, during the memorial service, the American Legion Commander would mention his name only as an afterthought. “Andy, we almost forgot you again,” he would say.

When Andrew J. Capets grew up, he wanted people to remember his grandfather and everyone else in his battalion during those trying times. As his grandfather never talked about the war and never left behind letters or journal entries, Andrew began his own in-depth research. All he knew was that his granddad was part of the 313 Machine Gun Battalion. So he met relatives of other soldiers from the same Battalion. He got journals, diaries and letters that they would send home to their loved ones. And he put together a fascinating story for posterity.

The letters are organized in chronological order, so you will find two, three or even four soldiers’ accounts of the same day. I found this system very effective because it gives a full narrative of the events from many points of view. While one person’s account could be anecdotal, several people’s almost identical experiences of the same event make it a fact.

I also appreciated that every new person introduced had their date of birth and death included next to their name. Some even died the year I was born, so while reading, I reflected on the weirdness of life. Here I was just one year old when unsung heroes were living their last days on Earth.

The book starts with a section called Glossary and Abbreviations. I already knew many of the terms included. As a European, WWI and WWII are subjects we extensively learned about in school. But for readers in America, this section will be very useful to make sense of the many different strange words that were mentioned in the entries.

The end of the book includes a Post War section, where the author details the lives of some of the soldiers that we got acquainted with throughout the story. Some died, while others returned home and could barely function thereafter. Yet, others managed to turn their lives into something meaningful. Those were the lucky ones who picked up the pieces and somehow moved forward.

In school, we’ve learned from history books about that horrible time every single year. I realize, however, that we were hardly aware of the US Army’s involvement in the Great War. For us, the war (although called “World” war) was strictly European. Our allies were fighting the Germans and their allies. As far as we knew, the Americans were fighting the Japanese somewhere very, very far away. The US entered the war in its last year and helped bring peace forward faster, especially in France, which is what the book focuses mostly on. Thus, while Good War, Great Men.: 313th Machine Gun Battalion of World War I is a way for the author to remember his grandfather and the Battalion that sacrificed so much in France, for the rest of us it is also a reminder that it was truly a “World” war, and many good American combatants served in the trenches and even died to bring us peace.

In the book, we see the war through the soldiers' eyes. At times, I was so enthralled by what was happening that I forgot this was a real-life tale and not a fictitious one. The letters often describe their ordinary lives: sometimes boring, and more often than not, uncomfortable; at times, downright dangerous. With every page, I would observe their moods slowly changing. Initially, before they felt the first bullets hit their trenches, they all had a sunny disposition. They were smiling, singing, eating and sleeping all day. This, however, would gradually change as the combatants would get shot, their mates would die, or they would witness carnage first hand.

The writing style in the book is very personal. The author lets the officers speak with their own voice. Thus, the letters have numerous grammatical and punctuation errors. Yet, I can’t blame anyone for a lack of editing. After all, these documents are now part of official archives; they are part of history.

I give the book 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to any reader of serious military history who is interested to learn more about the First World War, including many little-known stories about the frontline experiences that American soldiers had in France.

Good War, Great Men.
View: on Bookshelves

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

An informative story of World War. Your review makes me think of lining up this book as one of my interest. The soldier being excluded as one of the Battalion fighter to achieve freedom for me is unjust. Putting myself on the shoe of Andy Capets I will do the same he did. The review is interesting. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I definitely think that we need to keep history in the forefront of our mind to avoid repeating the same mistakes over. I love that the author includes the name, date of birth and death for each new person. Sounds like a good story overall. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

My best friend is such a history war buff, and this review was awesome, I think I will be recommending this to her for the new year!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

History wasn't my favorite subject in school, but I find myself watching a lot of documentaries. From your review, I would definitely enjoy reading this book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for the touching review, Kislany! One of my last reviews also had me looking at WWI, then also called The Great War. I cannot imagine how any war can be called "great" or even "good." (I am more likely to agree with Boy George that "war is stupid.")

While wars do make great men (and women), they are usually broken men (and women). It is also a paradox that we need war to have peace.

It's all good to know the sacrifices that many have made for the world we know today. But I wish we could all as one say, "Never again!"

P.S. Regarding the grammar in those letters, how can anyone bother with commas when one is busy not getting killed?
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The book is very touching! the authors tribute towards his grand father is remarkable and appreciable, "a man not to be forgotten". The book sounds amazing, result of a very effective review. The approach of using many accounts from different people to prove the fact in history is truly effective. But yes as a human, I too believe this book will help us to remember those dark times and also for the generations to come that, "we don't want such a holocaust again!"
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

BookHausJ - yes, it was definitely a very interesting and informative book. I was not sorry to have read it at all.

kandscreeley - truer words never spoken!

Whitney Marchelle - I'm pretty sure your BF will love it!

Mercy Bolo - as a European, our two major wars are part of who we are. We got this information in school (actually was drilled into our brains until we could recite all the main events in the two wars), and was also orally transmitted from generation to generation. So, whether we liked history or not, we had to know it.

Miriam Molina - "P.S. Regarding the grammar in those letters, how can anyone bother with commas when one is busy not getting killed?" - you know, I haven't quite looked at it that way, but boy, are you right! Thanks for the great perspective!

Sahani Nimandra - "we don't want such a holocaust again!" - no, we don't, indeed!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is a good additional history book for me. Its good to know the details of the soldiers like their date of birth and death are included because I feel that their contributions are deserve to be remembered! Thank you for your good and informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Book seems interesting and informative. I like military histories. Great review. I Iike it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

The history of war is necessary so the author I just want to thank your for your good job
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Wow, that part about learning about the same event from the letters of several people really made an impression on me! That's a great way to document history of course - through as many eyewitness accounts as possible. AFAIK there is no one who served in WW1 alive today. It's great that this writer researched and recorded his grandfather's experiences. Thanks for the comprehensive review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review - these books are sometimes so hard to read but it would have been harder to live through the war. Definitely one for the bookshelves.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

This book looks really intriguing. Thank you for pointing out that there are several entries for specific dates by different authors. It is always interesting to compare viewpoints of persons who have experienced the same event.

Based on your review, I am inclined to check it out! Thanks for your review.
phemmaj
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by phemmaj »

I like history especially if it has to do with war or military leaders era . The author did a great job by collating different journals from different families of the soldiers and make a book out of it. Kudos to Andrew J Capets.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”