Official Review: The Power of Pivot by Trevor Gordon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Official Review: The Power of Pivot by Trevor Gordon

Post by Ashley Simon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Power of Pivot" by Trevor Gordon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’ve read a lot of self-help books, and nearly all of them begin with eye-catching claims that are meant to jump out at the reader. “The one secret that will change your life!” the book may promise in an Amazon blurb or on the cover. In a welcome contrast, Trevor Gordon’s book The Power of Pivot makes no promises that it cannot keep.

Gordon’s basic premise is not especially unique. Essentially, he admonishes readers that change can be a good thing. We’ve all heard that before. However, I enjoyed this read for a few reasons. First of all, Gordon is a good writer. He knows how to get straight to the point and to draw the reader in with interesting anecdotes. In fact, he sets the tone for the entire book in the introduction by explaining exactly what he means by the titular phrase:
“What I’ve discovered in my own life is that uncommon success is actually found in how you handle life’s pivot points, not just with your actions, but with your words, your mindset and your attitude, as well” (12).
I appreciated the candor in this opening. There are lots of other moments like this throughout the book: catchy, quotable phrases that leave you thinking. I knew this book would be different from other, fluffy inspirational guides when Gordon introduced his secret to uncommon success in the first chapter. Gordon draws a comparison between success on the basketball court and success in the business world. When a basketball player is stuck, unable to move forward or back due to a pressing defense, he or she must pivot using the free foot. In the same way that basketball players practice this move, we have to be prepared for what we will do in a moment of crisis. Gordon’s premise is that these moments that force us to pivot in a different, unplanned direction can actually propel us forward toward success in large, unexpected ways.

Secondly, the book was formatted professionally with eye-catching yet subtle blue triangles above each chapter heading. I noticed no grammatical errors, and this contributed to the author’s credibility.

Finally, Gordon dives into a variety of hands-on topics and incorporates a neat balance of personal story and description. After admonishing readers that every journey toward success will look different, he introduces his own cast of characters who have been important in his life. Each chapter ends with “Pivot Points”, a short bulleted list of the most important points that were made in each chapter.

The book is primarily geared toward the business world. Gordon delves into strategies for managing a team of "champions", dealing with burnout, creating a positive and productive company culture, and efficient decision-making. The Power of Pivot is a well-written, enjoyable book. Based on the above factors, I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 rating. Although it is geared primarily for those in the business world, I believe this book will appeal to anyone looking for a readable and inspirational work of nonfiction.

The Power of Pivot
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ashley Simon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty good book. I'm not really in the business world, but I think you could still apply these principles to your life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a book which has addressed it's reader straight, even for a book to sound this great the author must be really good. I don't like subject matter topics like chemistry, business, accounting, etc. But this book seem to use a effective approach to captivate the reader, for this I will note the book!
Good review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

wow, nice review. This book is one of my genre.Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I want to read it because is an inspirational book.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Your opinion about this book makes me excited to read it! I'm really fun of a self help book because for me it makes me inspired to strive more personally. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A great review there. From the way you say it, it seems a great read. I love books which take a different root from norm especially from the non-fiction genre.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Its a very thoughtful review. I like such self help books. I have also reviewed a self help book From Drift to SHIFT. You can check mine.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

A good review with a good book. I'm not really into business but I believe the principles are applicable in all areas of life.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Zlee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Zlee »

:tiphat:
I really respect the author. His use of English and vocabulary in this book is captivating. It is interesting and has a way of manking you desire a sequel.
I don't want to be a spoiler fanatic so I will have to stop there.
In short, it's a good read.
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

I am even shot of words the author is really a good one of cause and I will like it if he will keep it up

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”