Official Review: The Acclaimed Writings of Truth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Acclaimed Writings of Truth

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Acclaimed Writings of Truth" by Adam Paul Ishmael.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Acclaimed Writings of Truth by Adam Paul Ishmael, the author sets out to explain the “clear and truthful writings in the Qur’ān and Bible” regarding various subjects and then “to explain these subjects in appropriate detail” while relying heavily on the writings from both the Qur’ān and Bible, but as a “neutral” observer. He laments that both Christians and Muslims have misused their respective spiritual texts to commit atrocities upon one another, and it is this historical misuse of scripture that has inspired him to write this book.

The first half of the book is spent giving a general overview of the birth of Muhammad and Islam, the setting up of the Muslim judicial system, their battles, the various caliphs (Islamic Stewards) and their rule, and the conquest of Jerusalem. Ishmael also spent time discussing the Crusades, the Inquisition, and the injustices done in the name of God on both sides, sometimes with graphic relish, but all set around the framework of the Muslim Dynasties.

The second half of the book gives an overview of the crucial overlapping texts from two viewpoints. He is using two fictitious people, the first is Omar, a Muslim, and the second is Paul, a Christian to give his explanations. They discuss what the author views as the basics of both faiths, crucial biblical characters (Adam, Abraham, and Moses), as well as comparative views on Satan, Jesus, appropriate associations, the Covenants, and finally, the Resurrection.

I found some of the history interesting. I am reasonably well versed in both Christian and Muslim history, and yet there were a few things that I learned. However, the work as a whole is so very poorly cited that I would be extremely hesitant to trust the historical information given without doing my own fact checking study. Additionally, of the few citations that were used many were not properly formatted.

Beyond the citation and formatting issues the book seemed to have been written by a non-native speaker and so suffered from many, many errors of the kind you would expect. Homonym problems like “all be it” for “albeit” and “tow” instead of “toll” abounded, but also run on sentences, incomplete sentences, use of the wrong tenses and the like. A strong editor could have rectified all of these errors.

My problems with the book do not end there. While the author pretends that he is a neutral observer, he is anything but. His real agenda seems to be to “prove” that Jesus is not divine, as is the Orthodox view of Christianity, and that he never claimed to be. On this quest Ishmael quotes directly from an English translation of the Qur’ān, but only gives a general, and slanted, paraphrase of most passages of the Bible. He also used some of the standard arguments of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, which he considers the “true” and “persecuted” Christians.

I did appreciate several of the author’s observations. For instance, his observation that Christians who call for the slaughter of others are not acting as Jesus would have done is an accurate and truthful statement. He also does make some attempts to occasionally call out Muslims for similar poor behavior, but it still ends up sounding mostly like “Well, we were wrong, but they were more wrong.” It is unfortunate. He had an opportunity to write something that highlighted the similarities of both religions, where they have both gone wrong, and how they can both move forward in ways that are more legitimate and honoring of what the “One God” desires. That could have been a good book.

I give this book 1 out of 4 stars. If the author had honestly stated his real agenda as a polemic against Orthodox Christianity and had adequate citations I would likely have given it a 2, even if all the grammatical errors still remained, as it would still have some historical and cross-cultural or ecumenical value. But it was, instead, a poorly edited work of religious propaganda, and as such I cannot recommend it to anyone.

The Acclaimed Writings of Truth
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The idea sounds intriguing! Two relegions brought together on stage for a grand exhibit. This book is most suitable for "open minded" readers.
But, I am thankful that the reviewer pointed it out and I quote "poorly edited work of relegious propaganda, and such I cannot recommend it to anyone", by giving his honest opinion!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike when authors state that they are being unbiased, but really push their point of view. If you want to write a book supporting your viewpoint that's fine, but state that. Don't pretend to be unbiased. At any point, this one sounds like it needs some more editing. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 08:55 The idea sounds intriguing! Two relegions brought together on stage for a grand exhibit. This book is most suitable for "open minded" readers.
But, I am thankful that the reviewer pointed it out and I quote "poorly edited work of relegious propaganda, and such I cannot recommend it to anyone", by giving his honest opinion!
It was indeed an intriguing idea, and the main reason I chose it. I do like this kind of book, and so I was quite disappointed that it didn’t live up to hopes.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Kandscreely, I agree, I think polemical books can be highly educational, even if you do not (especially if you do not :)) agree with them. I just want to know ahead of time that is what I am reading. Thanks for reading :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book seems like a failed attempt at a debate. Although the subject matter is interesting, the delivery sounds miserable.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

@Mercy Bolo, The way the author set it up, you would be resisting God if you didn’t agree with him. It would have been so much better if it were debate! Thanks for reading!
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

This is very interesting topic. Religions, belief, etc. Also very challenging one. If the Author wants to gives weight to one and disrupt the other then it needs a well research proof, or else it's a waste of time reading. Though I will line this book up as one of my interest. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Too bad he wasn't able to stay objective. That always kills credibility in my mind. Thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

He had an opportunity to write something that highlighted the similarities of both religions, where they have both gone wrong, and how they can both move forward in ways that are more legitimate and honoring of what the “One God” desires. That could have been a good book.
It takes a lot of gut, grit, and all else to be able to come up with a courageous book such as this one. Whereas I may be more inclined to give this book the credit more than you say it deserves because of that, you've got your reasons for your viewpoints and I would have to agree with your above points. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I've always been intrigued by the Muslim faith and what similarities it has with the Christian faith. I was interested in this book from your summary. However, your observation of references to the Jehovah's Witnesses will keep me from ever picking it up. Thank you for your valuable information and informative review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Acclaimed Writings of Truth by Adam Paul Ishmael, the author sets out to explain the “clear and truthful writings in the Qur’ān and Bible” regarding various subjects and then “to explain these subjects in appropriate detail” while relying heavily on the writings from both the Qur’ān and Bible, but as a “neutral” observer. He laments that both Christians and Muslims have misused their respective spiritual texts to commit atrocities upon one another, and it is this historical misuse of scripture that has inspired him to write this book.

This seemed like such a great premise for a book! It's quite unfortunate to see all the horrible things humans do in the name of God. Too bad the author seems to be biased and didn't pay much attention to the accuracy of his sources. I'm not a native English speaker either and I understand it can be hard, but it's not an excuse not to hire a good proofreader and editor. Even native speakers need them.
Thank you for your honest review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I think it's acceptable to favour one point of view more than another in a book, but yes, it has to be well argued and certainly well cited. It's too bad this isn't worth reading as I think it's interesting to compare Islam and Christianity.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The idea of comparing two religions is quite interesting. Though it is disappointing that despite his assertion, the author did not remain neutral. Also, I prefer a well-edited book.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

He had an opportunity to write something that highlighted the similarities of both religions, where they have both gone wrong, and how they can both move forward in ways that are more legitimate and honoring of what the “One God” desires. That could have been a good book.
I hope the author takes this into consideration while doing another round of editing and reconstruct the book. I love books that write about faith and religions but without prejudice and misconceptions. Thanks for this honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”