Official Review: Letters to Sis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
mumoscar
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 1
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Ashes by Tyra Hodge
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Letters to Sis

Post by mumoscar » 18 Dec 2017, 12:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letters to Sis" by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Letters to Sis is a memoir by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (RET) that is filled with suspense from the first page. With the ambition to make his future happen within a short period of time, Giannetti enlists with the US Army a few months before graduating high school; which meant that his divorced mother had to cosign the enlistment papers since he was under eighteen.

The book is divided into ten chapters written from different locations and time enabling the reader to keep track of each event that embroils the author. When his basic army training started in the summer of 1988, Giannetti couldn't help thinking of the rough life he was going to have in the military. The letters he wrote to his sister Marissa were a comfort as long as he stayed in the training and after he deployed for full-time military operations in Germany. Nonetheless, the reader doesn't get to know the implication these letters have until when Marissa is diagnosed with a terminal illness.

From New Jersey, 1987 to Corpus Christy, 2014, I felt like I traveled the whole journey with the author as he described his experience in the US Army. The inclusion of time and location in the memoir was the fascinating fragment; since it makes the reader feel as if s/he is right there experiencing each expedition.

While the reader expects to get the meaning of letters to sis, the author opts to delve much into military operations with occasional writing of letters to Marisa leaving the reader in suspense for the better part of the book. The novel is also flavored with songs the author relates to each jaunt he takes; which I likened to My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer. Family bond and love are the focal themes of the book which are vividly depicted in the letters written to Marisa.

Though most of the characters in the book don't have prominent roles, the novel is still descriptive and enjoyable. However, the book didn't end without snags in a few places; there are both grammar and spelling errors: the author wrote "Marissa told that me she was glad…," "sure, some my family was still…," "but now that it is actually is here…," "whatever I say has already said been said before," My primary job was to again to supply."

The errors mentioned were somewhat distracting; which made me award the book 3 out of 4 stars. The loss of a star wouldn't have been necessary if proper editing was done. I recommend this book to lovers of war narratives and anyone who may want to learn about the US Army. Underage readers shouldn't read this book owing to the presence of strong language.

Letters to Sis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mumoscar's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sahani Nimandra
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: The Problems of Life and Ethical Dilemmas
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 19 Dec 2017, 07:59

A true story, like my kind if a book! When I read this review it reflected on how the solders lives would have been in those hectic war times. We owe them, the freedom that we enjoy now is because of them.
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose » 19 Dec 2017, 08:47

I would love to get a chance to read this book. I love army novels and movies. Thanks for the review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Post by kandscreeley » 19 Dec 2017, 08:51

This sounds like quite the story; something a little bit different. I don't think I would enjoy it, but I'm glad that you were able to. It's too bad about the errors, but I'm glad that you were able to not focus on them.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: The Lion Roared FREEDOM by Andr&ecirc; Black

Post by Mercy Bolo » 19 Dec 2017, 09:07

Sounds interesting. War narratives are always captivating. I wonder why the actual story doesn't reflect any relevance to the title.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Roggyrus
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Roggyrus » 11 Jan 2018, 15:39

A memoir necessarily takes us into the confidence of the author. We could then feel as though we are privy to his innermost feelings, the sentiments that could only be told to a blood relation. Thank you for sharing with us this review.

BookHausJ
2017 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 680
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ » 13 Jan 2018, 01:37

Hope the Author would consider sharing this story to some of the Movie producer. They might get interested to do it for movies. That's only my suggestion. You have a nice review. Thank you!

EVANSO
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by EVANSO » 15 Jan 2018, 08:23

This sounds like a great book that can easily make a nice film. I guess all army narratives make good films. Thanks for sharing.

kwahu
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading: The Matriarch Saved
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: Entrance (Thornhill Trilogy Book 1) by J. J. Sorel.
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu » 15 Jan 2018, 09:14

Memoirs are good in giving other people the confidence to speak about their experiences. I like your review.

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Cotwani » 09 Feb 2018, 15:54

Such books reiterate the sacrifice and unpredictable lives soldiers have to endure. Thanks for the insightful review!

Kalin Adi
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 680
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by Kalin Adi » 16 Feb 2018, 01:12

Enlisting in the army isn't something any seventeen-boy decides to do, which makes the concept of the book refreshing. It seems this book has a little bit of everything, a heart-touching part, a piece of every day life in the army, action in the operations. Any lover of these genders would enjoy it. Thanks for your insights!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”