Official Review: A Mothers Tragedy by Latrell King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: A Mothers Tragedy by Latrell King

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Mothers Tragedy" by Latrell King.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After a horrific car accident, seventeen-year-old Latrell lays unconscious in an emergency room. Upon regaining consciousness, the first thing she sees is her baby's father standing directly above her. His face is etched with agony. All Latrell can think about is her baby. Terror strikes her. Did he survive the accident? With much effort, she asks, "Where is Kilano?" A suffocating silence ensues. She soon discovers that he is bleeding internally and has had two seizures. He needs to undergo surgery immediately. Latrell holds her breath and prays that he survives the surgery. Being the fighter that he his, Kilano survives. Sadly, he is left with irreversible damage.

A Mother's Tragedy is a non-fiction book by Latrell King. The title could not be more fitting as the author opens our eyes to the difficulties involved in raising a disabled child. She highlights the emotional, financial, and medical challenges involved. This book will stir up compassion and empathy in its readers.

The book has an informal, conversational tone, making it feel more personal and intimate. This put me in a better position to imagine Latrell's pain as she told her heartrending tale. I am glad that it is only 24 pages long. It is a sad book, especially as it is based on a true story. I wish that the author had shared a few of her joyful moments with Kilano. It is evident in that she loves her child, but she focused mainly on the painful experiences that they had endured.

The author mentions how easy it is for people to make mistaken assumptions about her life. She bursts these assumptions by painting a clear picture about the costs involved in raising a disabled child. I found this to be enlightening. For example, she spends 45 dollars every four days on Pediasure, which was recommended for Kilano's diet. I came to appreciate the amount of self-sacrifice that goes into parenting a disabled child.

I am in awe of the author's strength. She shares this strength by giving brief tips on how to avoid depression while caring for a disabled child. Parents who are going through a similar situation will be able to gather strength and hope from this book. Often times, people lack compassion due to ignorance, hence, I appreciate this book for being the eye-opener that it is. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The number of grammatical errors prevents me from rating it any higher.

A Mothers Tragedy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
egii
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by egii »

I think its pretty nice story
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I strongly agree with your opinion that most people lack compassion due to ignorance. Glad to know you are still able to get the message from this book as an eye-opener to you despite the grammar errors. Thank you for your in-depth review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know a few people who are raising disabled children, so I completely understand not only how much money but how much effort and care go into it. It's amazing to see the parent's love, though. This sounds like a great (but possibly heartbreaking) book. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ankamah

Post by Ankamah »

A mothers trgidy by by latrell king.
I love the book because looking at this small preview you can predict what will happy in the future.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This is a sad book indeed. I admire Latrell's bravery. I wonder what Kilano thinks of his condition, considering that he wasn't born disabled.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The grammatical errors are unfortunate, as this seems to have a very good message. I hope the feedback the author gets from this review will prompt her to improve upon her work and enable her to get her message to a wider audience.
lilian01

Post by lilian01 »

I love the book, it expose the difficult and pain in norturing a disabled child.
Clarissa-24

Post by Clarissa-24 »

I think it is a very good book because I also can relate to this both of my children have been diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy which is a disability I think it's very relatable and is very self enduring to read.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow! An emotional book. I am no mother so I don't no how it feels but as a human I to feel her pain, this was the emotion I got reading the introduction of the book. I'm glad I actually stopped my work to notice this.
Thank you
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Thank you for an excellent review about a book that's plainly moving and thought-provoking. I understand what you mean about wanting to know more about the joyful moments, but I can also see where the author is coming from. Because we now - and that's an ENTIRELY good thing and to be welcomed - have more enlightened views about people with disabilities, it's easy to fall into the mindset where it's almost seen as 'letting the side down' to not be constantly inspirational and upbeat and say it has been a life-enhancing experience in every regard. Anger, sorrow, frustration and, as you say, worrying about the financial implications, are also entirely natural and I applaud the author's honesty.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

That's why God commanded us to "Respect your Mother and your Father." Because parents did a lot of sacrifices for the children. For me, give them not only respect, but most of all Love them. Nice review! Thanks.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”