Official Review: Woman The Failed Male

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Woman The Failed Male

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Woman The Failed Male" by Dr. Geraldine Sharp.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Woman – The Failed Male: The Missing Link in Theories of Male Superiority is a very informative and enlightening, albeit startling, book written by Dr. Geraldine Sharp.

The book has fourteen chapters with the last chapter titled ‘Discussion’ but more like a summary of the entire book. It is written with the purpose of discovering the ‘truths’ pertaining to the presumed superiority of men over women and to answer the question as to where this notion came from.

The author begins with a relatively long and quite thought-provoking introduction where she gives a very promising overview of the book. The succeeding chapters cover discussions on various topics including patriarchy, celibacy, the divine phallus and the divine liquid.

The book explains that men and women are stereotyped with men given all the positive characteristics like intelligent, strong and independent while women are given the opposite like simple, weak and need guidance and protection. These stereotypes are held and maintained by our patriarchal society which leads to the subordination of women. Moreover, the author explicates the role of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity and Islam, to the justification for this subordination. In addition, the book emphasizes the contribution of the Three Fathers of the Church: Augustine, Albert and Aquinas to re-enforce the negative view of women.

There are so many interesting parts in the book. One of my favorite is the biased view on the story of creation where Eve took all the blame in Adam’s and her being cast out of Paradise for offering him the forbidden fruit while Adam was vindicated for not dissuading Eve. Another interesting part is the explanation on why celibacy was enforced on priests but more so is the fate of the wives and children of priests when celibacy was codified.

The most interesting and important part of this book, for me, however, is the revelation of the missing link in the theories of male superiority. It is so basic and so obvious that it comes as a shock to know that that is the ultimate reason for all the discrimination, prejudice and abuse that women suffered all this time. The explanation is so simple that it is very easy to understand and acknowledge the veracity of the claim.

All in all, this is a very interesting, informative and enlightening book. It is scholarly written, well-researched and well-referenced. It contains startling revelations that will open up the minds of the readers and may change how they view men, women, the church and the entire society.

However, some readers may find the book repetitive and redundant. Though the repetition may be due to the need to emphasize very important points, it may be found vexing by some readers. Moreover, some male readers may not feel comfortable with the subject matter which might limit possible readership. Finally, I noticed typo errors in the book which are thankfully very few.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to female readers, feminists, religious leaders and world leaders.

Woman The Failed Male
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Good to know you are able to enjoy this book. However, I will let this one pass. Thank you for your detailed review
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 02:25 Good to know you are able to enjoy this book. However, I will let this one pass. Thank you for your detailed review
Thank you. Yes, I enjoyed it a lot :)
Edgar Mann
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edgar Mann »

Woman The Failed Male. A very informative and balanced review. Hopefully it will encourage others. The reviewer's suggested audience or readership is the same as that targeted by the author. Whoever you are read the book and be informed. Thank you Paradoxicalwoman.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Edgar Mann wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 08:50 Woman The Failed Male. A very informative and balanced review. Hopefully it will encourage others. The reviewer's suggested audience or readership is the same as that targeted by the author. Whoever you are read the book and be informed. Thank you Paradoxicalwoman.
Thank you very much. It's such an informative and enjoyable book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like an interesting subject; kind of a new take on things. I'm not sure I would agree with the author. I'd have to read it to find out. Thanks for the good review, though. I enjoy reading your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz »

I saw the title and was curious. I appreciate your review, but I don’t think this book is for me.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 09:33 This definitely sounds like an interesting subject; kind of a new take on things. I'm not sure I would agree with the author. I'd have to read it to find out. Thanks for the good review, though. I enjoy reading your thoughts.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Quartz wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 14:08 I saw the title and was curious. I appreciate your review, but I don’t think this book is for me.
Thank you and thank you for the comment :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The title itself drew me in. I'm impressed that the subject matter of the book doesn't aim to justify but to explain why and how women are considered the weaker sex.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 17:54 The title itself drew me in. I'm impressed that the subject matter of the book doesn't aim to justify but to explain why and how women are considered the weaker sex.
Exactly! It is a great and liberating book and I enjoyed it a lot :)
Tango
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tango.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Tango »

Not that there's anything wrong with a cultural discussion, but the title and cover image would have led me to think it would be more of a scientific discussion. Interesting. Thanks for the well-written review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The title itself sounds controversial. I'm intrigued by the premise but it does sound like it's going to take a lot of cognitive processing. Thanks for the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

inaramid wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 22:25 The title itself sounds controversial. I'm intrigued by the premise but it does sound like it's going to take a lot of cognitive processing. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. Intriguing, indeed :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Tango wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 19:38 Not that there's anything wrong with a cultural discussion, but the title and cover image would have led me to think it would be more of a scientific discussion. Interesting. Thanks for the well-written review!
You're welcome. It's a well written book :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”