Official Review: Find Calm in the Garden of Paradise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Find Calm in the Garden of Paradise

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Find Calm in the Garden of Paradise" by Elizabeth Eliuk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The adult coloring book craze has taken the world by storm, with new coloring books being released constantly, in a number of varying styles. I have personally been a fan of adult coloring books for many years, and was delighted at the opportunity to review one.

Find Calm in the Garden of Paradise by Elizabeth Eliuk is a unique coloring book, in that it offers more than just coloring pages. Instead, the book includes a personal touch by the author to help guide the reader or artist in making it his or her own. It starts with an introduction that explains that the art style within the book is reminiscent of the Arts&Crafts movement of the 19th-century. This becomes especially noticeable within the more whimsical or dreamlike drawings, and adds an interesting vintage touch to the general mood of the book.

The author also includes a miniature art lesson, which includes guidance on different types of coloring pencils and ink media, explanations about the process of layering color, and an exploration of the color wheel. The author explains all the concepts in this section in simple and straightforward terms, allowing even someone with no artistic knowledge or experience to learn from them. Wisely, this section is rather short, so as not to distract from the main purpose of the book - to color!

The coloring pages themselves are beautiful, intricate, and unique. I have looked through dozens of coloring books of similar styles, yet none that have had the exact mix of elements that I saw in this one. There is a nice balance between natural images full of realistic botanical detail, and ornately decorated whimsical scenes of magic. The pages are designed skillfully and elegantly, with a wide range of large and small details to suit any mood of coloring. Some of the pages allow for additional personalization, such as a blank border or background that can be drawn in and then colored.

The images range from landscape scenes, to close-ups of birds, flowers, and butterflies. There are repeat appearances of peacocks and pomegranates, which spoke to me of themes like fruitfulness, fertility, and life. As I mentioned earlier, the pages include sections with very fine detail (such as can only be colored with a very fine tip) and other larger pieces that can be colored with crayons or markers. I believe this is one of the strong points of the book, as it allows the book to be accessible to folks with a wide range of mobility in their hands. In all, I see absolutely nothing to critique about this work, other than that it could perhaps be a bit longer, simply so it could be enjoyed more. If given the opportunity, I would definitely purchase this as a hard copy for myself, or to give as a gift to others. Therefore, I rate this coloring book 4 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to anyone who already loves to color, anyone who wants to expand his or her understanding of basic art concepts in a fun way, or anyone who is looking to explore a relaxing and satisfying new hobby.

Find Calm in the Garden of Paradise
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Your review has me sold on this idea! I'd love to get a hardcopy of this book. I love its versatility and its vintage feel. I love colouring but often have to take time drawing the images myself, this way I could skip to the fun part!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I love that you pointed out how varied the book is, not just in its pictures but in the style with which one can color the pictures. Once again, great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That is really neat! I love that the author helps you to make this your own... I have some coloring books at home, but I'm never perfect enough for myself. So I stopped. I really should try it again. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I've heard of adult book colouring but I'm yet to come across such a book, intriguing review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Colouring is one of my hobbies but it never cross my mind to have the adult colouring book for myself. Thank you for your great review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I've heard about the adult coloring book craze but I am yet to experience it. I guess it's time to unleash the child in me and see what I can achieve.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I haven't really gotten into the craze. But it seems like a lot of work went into this and I've heard people say that it can be therapeutic. I might consider this as a gift for someone.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Well! I have never come across a adult colouring book before so this is my first. If it helps to put colour into peoples black and white life it is sure worth noting!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MAMERAH
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MAMERAH »

I have always thought of adult coloring but it seems i was not serious then, but i will have to consider this!
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Interesting book! Though I am not artistic, but I can refer this book to somebody who are much interested in arts. Thank you for your fine review.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I enjoy coloring with watercolors. I'm not an expert, but I have fun doing so. So this book has piqued my attention. I like the combination of nature and magic that this book provides and the fact that it can be personalized is quite alluring. This is right up my alley. Thanks for the colorful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”