Official Review: You Taste Like Whiskey and Sunshine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: You Taste Like Whiskey and Sunshine

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Taste Like Whiskey and Sunshine" by Kimberly Love.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Writing your memoir can be cathartic, but that doesn't always mean it's enjoyable for others to read. You Taste Like Whiskey and Sunshine is a non-fiction book that is as fun to read as it is emotionally restorative for the author to write. At only around 150 pages, it is also a quick and easy read good for a rainy afternoon or short weekend.

Kimberly Love did not have the easiest childhood. Her mother escaped from her biological father when she was only 6 months old; he was physically abusive. A relative of Ms. Love was verbally abusive to her, most likely due to the fact that this relative abhorred her father. Unfortunately, there wasn't much way for Ms. Love to escape this situation, so she had to find ways to deal with it.

She really did not think much of this abuse at the time, but only realized how much it affected her after her divorce. This was when she decided several things. First, was that she should delve into her past and perhaps write a memoir. The second was that she wasn't going to let anyone hold her back from her dreams from here on out.

The stories Ms. Love tells in this book range from downright hilarious to inspirational. I had a hard time choosing just one story that was my favorite to share in my review. In the end, I decided to go with one of the funny stories. The author shares that one night she had a little bit too much to drink. As she was waiting for a bus to come pick her up, a cat just jumped in her arms. Around that time, some friends come by offering to give her a ride home which she accepts. Once home, she climbs from the car and tries to figure out how to sneak past her mother while drunk (and yes, still with the cat.) Unfortunately, she is stopped on the way in the house. Fortunately, her mother is more focused on where this mysterious cat came from than the fact that her daughter is drunk. Ms. Love tries to tell her mother that this poor, lost cat just jumped into her arms, but her mother points out the nice collar with the owner's address. She forces her daughter to call the owner to come pick up her cat that she apparently took from way across town. In the end, the owner is so thankful to get her "wandering" cat back that she gives Ms. Love a $10 reward. I think she got off pretty easy for stealing a cat.

I really enjoyed the fact that there is a little bit for everyone in this memoir. If you like stories that are more humorous in nature, you're covered. If you are looking for inspiration, you'll definitely find it in this book. Even teenagers have something to relate to as the author tells of her dating experiences as well as some interesting moments from high school.

There were a few downfalls, though. First, the author makes some blanket statements toward the beginning of the book that I didn't necessarily agree with. She states that everyone has someone in their lives that tries to tear them down. While that might be true for most people, I think there are people that are surrounded by love and encouragement. However, there's only a couple such statements, and it didn't distract from my enjoyment of the book.

The other problem was the need for another round of editing. There were several instances of missing words as well as changes in tenses in the same paragraph. These, also, were not egregious in any way, but they were noticeable. It would make this book even better if a few changes were made in this area.

Likewise, I feel it necessary to point out that this is more of a collection of stories from the author's life than a sequential telling of the events from childhood to adulthood. Each chapter is one such story, so there is a sense of organization to the novel. However, those that want to know every single detail of the author's life will be disappointed in this memoir.

All in all, I enjoyed these snippets from the author's life. It helped me to get to know her even while not knowing everything about her. Therefore, I rate You Taste Like Whiskey and Sunshine 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the editing issues, I couldn't give it a full rating. However, I would greatly recommend this to those who are looking for the inspiration and humor found in another's life.

You Taste Like Whiskey and Sunshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

The author seemed to have lived a rough childhood...having a physical abusive father and a verbally abusive relative...so sad. I think it's amazing that this memoir was both funny and inspirational. Too bad about the blanket statements and editing could have been better. Even though, this was just snippets, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read! Thank you for your thoughtful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks hsimone! The author had a pretty good attitude towards it all. I definitely enjoyed reading about how she coped in her life.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nice review. I like how you talk about the cat episode as an example of the funny situations the author. It sounds like a fun read but I can get turned off by bad editing really quickly.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks commMayo! I think this is one you would enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I love reading true stories that are tell the funny parts of their life mixed with the drama. Even with the mistakes, I think this book will definitely worth the read. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks mjgarrison. It is still worth the read. The mistakes aren't too distracting.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's rare for a memoir to be a fun read. This does sound like something I would want to read though.

Great Review! 😁
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It was fun! I enjoyed it so much.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This memoir sounds very appealing even though the author hopscotched snippets from her life through the story. I enjoyed reading the cat experience too. Great review, thanks!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Kalin. Although her tale isn't complete with details from birth to the present, it was fun to read the snippets. Only the pertinent parts were given. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

From your review it sounds like this author is a very strong woman and used everything in her life, good and bad, as a lesson to better herself! Very inspiring! Thanks for the great review!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I have always enjoyed memoirs and this sounds like something I'd have fun reading. I'm still a bit cautious about the editing part, as I do hate seeing typos or mistakes in any published work.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

VanessaAisel wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 00:09 From your review it sounds like this author is a very strong woman and used everything in her life, good and bad, as a lesson to better herself! Very inspiring! Thanks for the great review!
I enjoy reading about other's experiences especially when they are able to learn from them. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 09:55 I have always enjoyed memoirs and this sounds like something I'd have fun reading. I'm still a bit cautious about the editing part, as I do hate seeing typos or mistakes in any published work.
The typos really didn't bother me too much. Just enough that I couldn't give it full marks. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”