Official Review: Why We Crave Love by Olympia Walker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Why We Crave Love by Olympia Walker

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why We Crave Love" by Olympia Walker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why We Crave Love: The Untold Truth is an inspiring and enlightening book written by Olympia Walker.

With only 125 pages divided into ten chapters, the book is dedicated to 'everyone who has been broken, hurt, abused (physically, emotionally and mentally) manipulated, deceived, betrayed and abandoned due to the lack of understanding on what love truly is.' The purpose of the book is to present real life cases that will lead to particular verses in the scripture. Simply put, the author wishes to inspire readers to read the word of God and build a personal relationship with God.

The author begins by stating our tendency to react over a heart break by giving up on love and our tendency to handle situations on our own instead of consulting God. She then brings up controversial issues including homosexuality, sexual immorality, commitment and ultimate submission.

In a fearless and firm tone, the author offers an explanation on how homosexuality came about and why homosexuality and sexual immorality are sinful. She then backs it up with specific verses from the scripture. Moreover, she calls for parental interference regarding these matters and emphasizes the accountability of the parents to God for allowing their children to engage in these types of behavior and practices.

Among the numerous issues the author brings up, commitment and submission probably affect the most number of people. In this age and time when everybody is committed to various things including job, family and hobby among others, it may not be very easy to find God in the list of priorities and commitments. On a different note, some emancipated women may find it difficult to agree with the author’s statement that “women must be submissive to their husbands in all things” even if she backs it up with a verse from the scripture.

All in all, this is a great book which may elicit various emotions and reactions from different types of readers. The author is evidently passionate about her subject and the considerable use of question mark and exclamation point manifests her utmost need for emphasis making each statement intense and full of conviction. For me, the most important part of the book, aside from the answer to the ultimate question why we crave love, is the definition of love and the extent of God’s love for everyone. I find it uplifting and reassuring.

However, some readers may find the emphases and the author’s assertive tone somehow condescending and self-righteous. Consequently, some readers may feel chastised and scared instead of assured and enlightened. Moreover, certain group of people, particularly from the LGBTQ communities, and online dating participants may feel alienated instead of inspired. Furthermore, the author has a tendency to deviate from the topic and some readers may find some of her explanation redundant and repetitive. Finally, I noticed some errors within the entire book including grammatical and typo errors.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is intriguing, interesting, inspiring and enlightening. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know why we crave love.

Why We Crave Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the informative and insightful review! Though the author probably had good intentions, I don't feel this one is for me. Love is something that is essential in life and especially love that we have toward God. However, I don't agree with those who speak on love and who can push away those in the LGBTQ communities and online dating participants; that's not really showing love for all. It's nice to know that some might find this inspiring, but since I don't seem to agree with the author, I probably won't. Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting. I'm glad that the author is able to share her enthusiasm. Sometimes that can get lost in translation. This sounds like a book I might have to pick up when I need something encouraging. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

hsimone wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 09:58 Thank you for the informative and insightful review! Though the author probably had good intentions, I don't feel this one is for me. Love is something that is essential in life and especially love that we have toward God. However, I don't agree with those who speak on love and who can push away those in the LGBTQ communities and online dating participants; that's not really showing love for all. It's nice to know that some might find this inspiring, but since I don't seem to agree with the author, I probably won't. Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts!
Thank you. It is indeed, kind of, subjective.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 10:18 This sounds quite interesting. I'm glad that the author is able to share her enthusiasm. Sometimes that can get lost in translation. This sounds like a book I might have to pick up when I need something encouraging. Nice review.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds pretty interesting; I may well add it to my list of Must-Reads.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

MsTri wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 22:17 Sounds pretty interesting; I may well add it to my list of Must-Reads.
It sure does. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is exactly the kind of book that I want to read especially when it is backed up with scriptures. It's true that this book is not for everyone as everyone has different opinions and different preferences. As for me, I like books that expose the truth of His Scriptures without sugarcoat them. God is love. His love is Agape. I agree with the submissive part as what the scriptures said about authority in Hebrews 13:17. God and His authority and holiness are inseparable. Thank you for your detailed review. Great review indeed. God bless.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 02:53 This is exactly the kind of book that I want to read especially when it is backed up with scriptures. It's true that this book is not for everyone as everyone has different opinions and different preferences. As for me, I like books that expose the truth of His Scriptures without sugarcoat them. God is love. His love is Agape. I agree with the submissive part as what the scriptures said about authority in Hebrews 13:17. God and His authority and holiness are inseparable. Thank you for your detailed review. Great review indeed. God bless.
Thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It is always interesting to hear matters if love backed up with scripture. Although this sounds like a great book, I wonder what the atheists will think.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 12:16 It is always interesting to hear matters if love backed up with scripture. Although this sounds like a great book, I wonder what the atheists will think.
They might not share the author's enthusiasm but we never know :)
fantastic1+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fantastic1+ »

True love never dies. Not even through break-up. It is like a spirit that lives in us. It can never die!
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

This sounds like a hard pass. I really look forward to the day when books can talk about love without alienating alternative lifestyles. I understand the Biblical references here, I find a book that cherry picks and regurgitates well-known parts of the Bible unnecessary.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 18:21 This sounds like a hard pass. I really look forward to the day when books can talk about love without alienating alternative lifestyles. I understand the Biblical references here, I find a book that cherry picks and regurgitates well-known parts of the Bible unnecessary.
Some books can be subjective.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

The Truth will set you Free! Some group will hate it, but "Love" doesn't mean doing wrong. God Love us, but doing wrong, God is a just! Hope I can read this book. Nice review! Thank you!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”