Official Review: Trust me I’m a care worker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Trust me I’m a care worker

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trust me I’m a care worker" by Christopher Bulteel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trust Me I'm a Care Worker is a non-fiction book by Christopher Bulteel. This humorous book contains extracts from a care assistant's diary. It offers its readers a glimpse into the life of a care worker in the UK. Bulteel lays out what is involved in administering care to the elderly, disabled, and those afflicted with various mental diseases. He manages to relate his experiences in a way that is both entertaining and memorable.

Christopher "Chris" Bulteel has been in the catering industry all his life. When his catering career abruptly ends, 53-year-old Chris boldly ventures into an unexpected new form of employment and becomes a care worker. His new line of work involves making house calls and looking after patients whilst their primary caregivers take a well-deserved break. At the start of his new career, one particular experience gives him the realisation that he can make a real difference in the lives of his patients. He meets George who has been diagnosed with clinical depression, anxiety, and short-term memory loss. Initially, George is grumpy and openly rude. It is only after two weeks of endurance on Chris' part that they finally share an intimate moment. Chris draws George out of his muddled mind and reminds him of a past that he can be proud of. This moment of success serves as an affirming sign for Chris that he has indeed chosen the right career path. Chris goes on to share the rest of his experiences and his other patients. Many of these patients face difficulties with an unbreakable spirit that inspires admiration!

The book contains just over forty different experiences or stories. Each of the stories have their own significance and contribute beautifully to the book as a whole. Some stories were wildly hilarious and others were of a more serious nature. The more sombre experiences taught me the importance of treating the elderly and disabled with respect and love.

The characters are memorable. Allow me the liberty of introducing you to one of my favourite characters, Edith. Edith is well into her late nineties or could possibly even be in her early hundreds. She comes from a much more genteel era and is a lady in every sense of the word. During one of Chris' visits, she has a fall and (to her great dismay) an "extreme rush of air from her backside" escapes. Poor Edith spends the rest of the afternoon moving the furniture around in an attempt to reproduce the sound of the offending fart, hoping to find a scapegoat to pin the blame on. I died from laughter upon reading this experience. The book contains many more characters, thus, everyone should be able to find that one character that they connect with. However, each character only appears briefly.

What I admire most about the author is that he respects the privacy of his patients and their families. He explains in the introduction how he has changed the names, locations, and in some instances the illnesses of those mentioned within the book. What really impressed me though is that he did not pay back tit for tat by exposing the names of those who wronged him. For example, he did not reveal the name of a supplier that refused to help out with a charity event.

I honestly could not find a thing to dislike about this book. If you are looking for a thrilling page turner, then this might not be the book for you. However, if you would like a book about the quirkiness and beauty to be found in life, then I prompt you to read this book. For a book in its genre, it deserves a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars.

Trust me I’m a care worker
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. It is unlikely that taking care of old people and humor go together. I applaud the author for a job well done.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't imagine what the author would have to deal with as a care worker. I'm sure he has some interesting stories. Sounds like a nice book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Feels like a humorous book while incorporating the care of our senior citizens. Thanks for an enjoyable review.
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

i love the fact that Chris found purpose in his career, seeing is career as a platform to affect lifes. I alos appreciate your review would love to read the book
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
adol busran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adol busran »

i must praise the author for sharing his life with the readers out there.reality of life which is bitter for some and sweet for the others is true yet he turned those into something that could make us smile.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A nonfiction book offering a glimpse into the life of a care worker sounds intriguing. Well done to the author for relating his experiences in an entertaining way, keeping the privacy of his patients while at it. It is great that he made a real difference in the lives of his patients. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eniefiok
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Eniefiok »

I which I can find a perfect career just like chris, the book is really amazing it reminds me of a movie I once wacth a long time ago although I can't remember the title. Great review I must say.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am glad Chris was able to find meaning in his career by reaching his patient who suffered from mental illness. Sounds like a good book to raise awareness about the elderly, disabled, and those who suffer from mental illness. Thanks for the review.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

The author/caretaker sounds like a wonderful human being. I wish that all caretakers of the elderly and disabled could view their patients with the same humanity and dignity and humor that this review illustrates in the author's experiences.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I'm not sure this book is for me though the way the author changed his life and the job he did caring about other people is very amazing.
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Life of a caregiver is challenging and stressful as he has to deal with old people, mentally challenged and the disabled. Chris decides to make a difference in their lives and treat them with respect. He has encountered many hilarious experiences which he has shared in this book. Sounds fun to read. Thanks for the review.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm preeetty sure this isn't my kind of book, but thanks for the review.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

Non-fiction books are always hard to read for me but this one is very refreshing. The careworker subject is new to me and I might enjoy its forty different experiences or stories.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review! I laughed right with you when I read your short excerpt on Edith! If there will be more encounters like that in Trust me, I'm a Careworker, then I don't see why I shouldn't read. Throw in the fact that readers get a glimpse into the life of someone who works with others' and their problems for a living...I can really relate to the author as I am on my way to becoming a child psychiatrist. I'm excited to read, laugh, and learn.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”