Official Review: Seasons Change So Can You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Seasons Change So Can You

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seasons Change So Can You" by Alfreta Sailor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seasons Change So Can You: A Guide to Instigating Life-Changing Transformations is a helpful and entertaining book written by Alfreta Sailor.

The book has twenty eight very interesting chapters in addition to the Introduction and Acknowledgement. Moreover the author includes another chapter, Exercises, for readers to participate in. The book is, basically, ‘a compilation of articles that the author wrote on the Internet’ and that she wants to share with other people.

The book includes a variety of everyday topics that, though seemingly banal, are never insignificant. Those topics include friendship, jealousy, insecurity, happiness, gratefulness, reliability, self-centeredness, bullying and responsibility among others. Moreover, the author emphasizes the importance of listening, asking, sympathizing and forgiving. By citing common and familiar cases, the author makes it easy for the readers to relate and by using names such as Suspicious Sam, Innocent Irene, Doubtful Dennis, Nervous Nelly and Dainty Della, she makes the cases very entertaining.

All in all, this is a very interesting, helpful, and at some points, amusing book. Though the book is, admittedly, not very original as several books about change have already been written and published, what is so special about this book is the passion that the author was apparently feeling when she was writing these articles.

From reading the book, the readers could feel the sincerity of the author to share what she learned and knew about life in general. Moreover, it is evident, from her chosen topics, that she wrote from the heart. Finally and most importantly, it is absolutely obvious that she was having so much fun while she was writing the articles.

Though I initially took the book as one of those ordinary self-help books about change, I eventually got caught up in the stories and the sincerity of the author’s tone. Her enthusiasm is simply contagious and I found myself enjoying the book more than I expected I would.

She brings up topics that everybody seems to know but nobody seems to want to talk about like how self-centered people can be, the feeling of being used, the propensity to lie and helping younger people to be responsible. These topics which are encountered and experienced by everyone can be difficult to handle and I commend the author for bravely bringing up these topics and sharing her thoughts which may validate other people’s feelings.

What I like most about the book are first, the realistic take on all the topics and second, the relaxed and natural tone used by the author. Moreover, the author includes some things about herself that I’m sure some readers will understand and will totally relate to.

However, I noticed several errors within the entire book including missing words, improperly placed punctuation marks, grammatical errors and typo errors.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Not only is it helpful and entertaining, it is also an easy read and a ‘feel good’ book and I recommend it to readers who may need to make some changes in their lives.

Seasons Change So Can You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

We all need to change for the better. I think I'd like to sail with Alfreta and her book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 13:39 We all need to change for the better. I think I'd like to sail with Alfreta and her book.
Indeed. I hope you get a chance to read the book and enjoy it as much as I did :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

For me to read a self-help book, it really has to capture my attention. Too often, they are all pretty much the same. Yes, we all need to change, but there have been many books written on this subject. Thanks for the review. I think I'll be passing, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 08:47 For me to read a self-help book, it really has to capture my attention. Too often, they are all pretty much the same. Yes, we all need to change, but there have been many books written on this subject. Thanks for the review. I think I'll be passing, though.
You're welcome :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that This is a self help book that doesn't have that "holier than thou" tone to it. The sincerity in the message appeals to me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I think this sounds like a good book, especially because you can tell the author was writing from tbe heart.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 10:48 I like that This is a self help book that doesn't have that "holier than thou" tone to it. The sincerity in the message appeals to me.
It's so true about the 'holier than thou' part. It actually makes the readers feel they can be themselves without being judged.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Insightsintobooks729 wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 11:55 I think this sounds like a good book, especially because you can tell the author was writing from tbe heart.
True. Her enthusiasm is contagious :)
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I'm not entirely sure this is a book for me. "Having fun" writing does not always, or even often, equate good writing, as your mention of spelling and punctuation issues perpetuates. And to be honest, it seems like this is a book that's been done many, many, many times before. I'll pass. Thank you for the review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 21:23 I'm not entirely sure this is a book for me. "Having fun" writing does not always, or even often, equate good writing, as your mention of spelling and punctuation issues perpetuates. And to be honest, it seems like this is a book that's been done many, many, many times before. I'll pass. Thank you for the review!
You're welcome and thank you for taking the time to comment :)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I think I will enjoy this book and learn some lessons from it. Good review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 05:24 I think I will enjoy this book and learn some lessons from it. Good review.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Self Help book may look desame in terms of objective. But if you read it well then you can see the difference. Because it's personal story. They have their unique personal experience, and maybe personal approach in life. But at the end those who were able to apply all they have learned sure to have a good fortune. I really love reading personal success stories.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

BookHausJ wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 07:44 Self Help book may look desame in terms of objective. But if you read it well then you can see the difference. Because it's personal story. They have their unique personal experience, and maybe personal approach in life. But at the end those who were able to apply all they have learned sure to have a good fortune. I really love reading personal success stories.
So true. I also find personal success stories inspiring.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”