Official Review: My Boogie board ride to Denmark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Official Review: My Boogie board ride to Denmark

Post by ZeroChill »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Boogie Board Ride to Denmark is an autobiography of Tedd Wallace. It is set in St. Croix, also nicknamed as "Twin City", for its two towns on opposite ends of the island, Frederiksted on the western end and Christiansted on the east. The book tells the story of Tedd’s life threatening adventure at the beach and what followed.

The author is a fan of boogie boarding. He is the Mayor of Lyon, Michigan and he lives there with his wife. He goes to St. Croix every winter to enjoy the beach and the surroundings. One day he goes to the beach and starts riding his board. Soon he realizes today isn’t his lucky day as he gets carried by a wave that won’t allow him to return to beach. The wave races him to the far end of the beach where nobody can see him behind the rocky cliffs. He calls out to another old man to save him, and that poor fellow dies while trying to save Tedd. God has other plans for Tedd, and this isn’t the last day for him. A local of St. Croix happens to be standing right at the top of the cliff when all of this drama is happening. He tries to rescue Tedd with the help of a few other men, all of them playing against life and death while helping the bruised and injured old man. Will they all survive the sharp-edged lava rock cliff or will their fate be the same as the Danish person who died while trying to save Tedd?

Reading My Boogie Board Ride to Denmark was a fantastic experience for me. When a person feels his imminent death, then he musters all in his power to avoid what is coming for him. Reading another man’s struggle between life and death shook me to my core and made me realize the importance of life. The gut to risk one’s own life to save another soul is quite rare these days, but the brave men of St. Croix and Mr. Madsen, the Danish man who died, gave proof that humanity is still alive. It doesn’t matter how selfless we have become, we still feel the pain of others in need and run to their rescue. Mr. Madsen’s wife’s display of courage and forgiveness when she hears about her husband’s death was very inspiring. After his rescue, Tedd tries to reconnect to the whole of his family, even his thick-skinned brother who breaks down when he learns that his brother almost died. It is truly amazing how the thought of death and losing close ones brings people together.

Some authors tend to give huge length to biographies by adding irrelevant text which not only bores the reader, but also affects the quality of the book. In the case of My Boogie Board Ride to Denmark there was no such thing. Tedd Wallace has written everything in a specific and to the point fashion. You don’t find anything in the book that doesn’t relate to the original setting of the story. All the details mentioned in the book are very descriptive, even when the author is describing his struggle with the sea waves, the reader can visualize him getting sucked into the abyss of the sea underneath and his struggle to rise to the surface by clinging on to his boogie board. The most extraordinary thing about this whole story is the unexpected and unusual presence of the local on that part of the sea. His story tells us that God works in mysterious ways and even people with predictable habits can do unpredictable things.

I found only two little spelling mistakes which show that the author is a perfectionist. At one place ‘urchin’ was written as ‘urgent’ and at another place ‘by’ was misspelled as ‘byf’. The book is a worthwhile read if you are a keen fan of autobiographies. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because of its perfection, its simplicity and the writer’s courage to write about the most difficult situation of his life. I recommend the book to all my readers.

My Boogie board ride to Denmark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZeroChill's review? Post a comment saying so!
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

The book sounds interesting; too bad the review spoils much of it. Also, there are grammatical issues scattered throughout this review, even in the title ("board ride" should be capitalized). Sentences are clunky and too much information is given. Not my favorite review.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html

Post by ZeroChill »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote:The book sounds interesting; too bad the review spoils much of it. Also, there are grammatical issues scattered throughout this review, even in the title ("board ride" should be capitalized). Sentences are clunky and too much information is given. Not my favorite review.
The first line is added by the editor himself. No worries if it isn't your favourite, I try my best and I am satisfied.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This definitely sounds like quite the near death experience. I don't know how the author survives. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What a chilling story. What Ted goes through during this difficult moment is hard to imagine. I would like to know how this traumatic event influenced his outlook on life.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
adol busran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adol busran »

wow...just by reading preview's of said stories enough to make me cancelling my intention..too detail,
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

This book makes me, again, to realize that in any moment life is just a thin sphere of liquid (bubble). It can easily gone anytime. Lucky is the Author he was rescued. But then, God has a perfect message for this. Nothing is permanent in this world. So, Human should be humble enough and everyday should thanks God for the Life he/she got. The review is nice. Thank you!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”