Official Review: My Life by Doug Shepardson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: My Life by Doug Shepardson

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Life" by Doug Shepardson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In My Life, author Doug Shepardson shares the true story of his friend Marie Tam (Zhong Jiao Chin), a Chinese-American woman who was born in California, but spent many years living in Hong Kong and China. During her time in these locations, Ms. Tam endured the brutality of the Japanese occupation during WWII, and later the horrors of the Communist uprising. Ms. Tam's story is one of happiness, heartbreak, and courage in the face of tremendous hardship.

My Life is a captivating tale of life during an extremely difficult period in recent history. Unfortunately, many Westerners are unaware of the atrocities committed by the Japanese during World War II, and are underinformed about the brutalities committed during China's Communist uprising. Ms. Tam's story provides a close-up encounter with these events and adds tremendous depth to the reader's knowledge of those times. Her story is shared in a forthright manner that is detailed, but not too harsh for more sensitive readers.

The book flows evenly and transitions from Ms. Tam's different living circumstances smoothly. The major events that unfolded--both on an international and personal level--in Ms. Tam's life were easy to follow and skillfully interwoven to provide a picture of everyday life during Ms. Tam's years in China and Hong Kong. The writing itself is good overall, and errors within are minimal and easy to overlook.

Although most of the events of the story are presented very matter-of-factly, this book did not fail to evoke an emotional response within me on many levels. I found it easy to empathize with the joy, fear, suffering, and hope experienced by Ms. Tam and her family members. I will not disrespect Ms. Tam's experiences by saying that I could identify with those emotions (I have never been through anything that comes close to what she endured), but I was deeply moved.

I only have one minor criticism of My Life, which is that some of the pictures within the book are extremely small and difficult to make out. I suspect a formatting issue with the e-book may be to blame, and although my enjoyment was in no way diminished by the photos, I would have liked to been able to see them better.

Formatting issues aside, My Life is a moving and informative book, and I award it 4 out of 4 stars. Ms. Tam's story reveals little-known facts about World War II and the country of China, and I feel that hers is one that people need to know about. Therefore, I would recommend this book to everybody.

My Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
esthernn
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by esthernn »

Well reviewed, I'd truly love to include it in my shelf store.
Ibukunmi01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibukunmi01 »

It a great book that I will like to add to my shelf and read
Ivony Fair
Currently Reading: How to Become a Straight-A Student
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivony-fair.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Ivony Fair »

I love China's culture and traditions! I am also learning Mandarin at the moment so I think this historical and inspiring book may deepen my understanding of the Chinese. Will be adding it to my bookshelf :) An excellent review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's interesting. We focus so much on the Nazis in WW2 that we forget about everything else that was going on. Sounds like there's a lot to be learned from this book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Ivony Fair wrote:I love China's culture and traditions! I am also learning Mandarin at the moment so I think this historical and inspiring book may deepen my understanding of the Chinese. Will be adding it to my bookshelf :) An excellent review!
Thank you very much! I hope that you enjoy this book, and I wish you luck in learning Mandarin!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Amazing. I have never considered that Japan committed atrocities during WW2. This book sounds quite informative.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote:It's interesting. We focus so much on the Nazis in WW2 that we forget about everything else that was going on. Sounds like there's a lot to be learned from this book.
You are very right, there is so much about WWII that isn’t well known. Thank you for reading my review!

-- 18 Nov 2017, 18:56 --
Cotwani wrote:Amazing. I have never considered that Japan committed atrocities during WW2. This book sounds quite informative.
Yes, this book is very informative. I don’t think that most people know about what happened in the Pacific during WWII. Thank you for stopping by!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Such deep content. I can't imagine what Ms. Tam went through but I am glad she shared her story. There's a lot to learn from it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Very nice review. While the subject matter is a little outside of my wheelhouse, I have a family member who would love this book. Thank you for your informative analysis.
Ivy Davie
Currently Reading: Primeval Origins
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ivy Davie »

Very captivating
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html

Post by BookHausJ »

When my Mother is still alive she always talked about Japanese occupation (WWII). According to her it's too harsh and traumatic. But that was long time ago. I'm sure the Author of this Book were able to cope up easy. This is very nice book. Hope I can read this too. Thanks for the review. Very nice.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”