Official Review: Write Your Family Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Official Review: Write Your Family Story

Post by ZeroChill »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Write Your Family Story" by Judy Helm Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you want your grandchildren to know all about their family? Do you want to pass on family wisdom, values and morals to the next generation? If your answer to the above questions is “Yes”, then Write your Family Story by Judy Helm Wright is just the guide for you.

The book guides us through all the stages of writing a family memoir, from answering the basic question such as “Why write a memoir?” to “How to write a memoir?” It includes instructions and ideas as how you should start a memoir and what should you add to make it interesting. The book not only tells you how to write a memoir, but also encourages you to write one as soon as possible. Containing almost 50 different methods of writing a family memoir, this book is the ultimate guide to save your present so that the future generations can enjoy knowing about you.

It is a general trend among guidance books that the writers go through a lot of trouble writing hefty lumps of text to attract the reader and give length to their book, but this is not the case with this book. Judy Helm Wright has written this book in a simple and amazing style. I was impressed by her command over English language. The book has been composed very simply, containing only meaningful text. Every aspect of writing a memoir has been clearly discussed in this book. A writer’s true magic lies in attracting the reader by giving them what they want just as the book starts, and Judy has done exactly the same. She has gone through the description of every possible way of writing a memoir so the reader will not find any difficulty if he/she wishes to write one. The illustrations provided in the book are well-linked to the text and provide visual appeal to the reader. Life in reality is just composed of a few moments, but the author gives reasons as to why you should let your children know about your own moments.

Every generation has a lot of stories and life lessons for their younger ones. Some of these stories are just there to provide entertainment but deep inside they work to bridge the ever-growing gap between generations. In my opinion, family is the most important thing in the world, and preserving anything related to one’s family should be considered a noble task. This book shows that the writer knows how it feels to have knowledge about one’s ancestors. Many young and accomplished people today don’t know their ancestral roots. My personal belief is that such a person is incomplete in their life. The writer indirectly conveys a message that writing a memorial is much better than using an emotionless picture.

I found very few errors in the book. ‘Self-retrospection’ has been written as ‘selfretrospection’. At another place it was written ‘offthe-cuff.’ The writer is a perfectionist when it comes to making her work free from any mistakes. The formatting of the text is good. All of this shows professional proofreading has been done. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars due to its elegance and simplicity. I recommend the book to all the people who are interested in leaving something for their future generations to remember them by.

Write Your Family Story
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZeroChill's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book hits the nail on the head. Having an understanding of one's ancestry is something foreign to a lot of people. It is definitely worth checking out.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

great review, i am particularly impressed by the way you really made the review short and comprehensive. Good job
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
ShannonGibson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShannonGibson »

It's really a good review. I am impressed in the way how you have shortened the entire story. Good job.
Book about family and generation, by the review itself i feel to read the book. Is soft copy of the book is available from any sites?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I'd like to know more about my family. I don't think I would like to write a memory though. Still this might have good information for me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I'm Happy that I've read your review. This is striking to my mind. No one on our family have written their memoir. I think I should start doing it now. Thank you. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

This has just hit my mind may be I should start writing about my family memoir
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for a great review. I agree with you that family is very important. I will like to leave a legacy for future generations.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Your review has only made me want to read this one all the more! I absolutely love books that help us unearth those hidden stories that could bless so many for years to come. It sounds like the author did a great job on this and I cannot wait to read it!
Everything happens for a reason...
anchor62
Currently Reading: The Hedgehog of Oz
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anchor62.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by anchor62 »

Great review. I can see how it would be awesome to have this information but I should not see me writing it.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

preserving anything related to one’s family should be considered a noble task.
I suddenly feel inspired to do some saving!!! :)
Seenpeterson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Seenpeterson »

For information to be carried from one generation to the other is through history. So the official review of the book Write Your Family Histry BY JUDE WEILM is very interesting, and encouraging, I therefore reccommemd this book to others as well, so I rate this book 4 out of 4. thank you.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

I am planning of venturing into this type of writing. This book is no doubt a great help. Thanks.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Cuppicake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cuppicake »

I think the book Write your family story by Jude Weilm talks about a life or on how we use thing in life or what we should do in our life. I read about the review and its is so good and very well explained. The writer of the story is a very determined family member/mother because she have the knowledge about this things. If I will rate this story from 1 to 4, I will also rate this story 4 out of 4. The writer write so simple and full of learning. I admire her for the way she write... 😍
natashajones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natashajones.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by natashajones »

Good review. Definitely gives a good perspective of the entire story. Encouraging enough to read the book and explore my own ancestry.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”