Official Review: The Anteater and the Jaguar by Rayek Rizek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: The Anteater and the Jaguar by Rayek Rizek

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Anteater and the Jaguar" by Rayek Rizek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As there is more than one side to any story, such is the case with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the Middle East. Author Rayek R. Rizek is an Arab Orthodox Christian and an Israeli-Palestinian-Arab citizen originally from Nazareth. He addresses the conflict in Israel and Palestine from a deeply personal perspective in his memoir, The Anteater and the Jaguar: Is This Our Destiny? A Story from the Oasis of Peace.

The Oasis of Peace is a community in the Middle East where Jews and Palestinians (Christians and Muslims) choose to live and work together in harmony. As someone who has lived and served there for decades, Rizek candidly explains the challenges his community faces. It’s a complex task to preserve and grow the Oasis of Peace, with members of different cultures and religions living against the backdrop of strife surrounding the area.

Yet, the author eloquently asserts that just as there is an art to war, there is an art to peace, and that art must be learned. He explains what he believes to be the Palestinians’ responsibility and gives ideas about how his people should now approach the longstanding conflict. Not only does Rizek describe his community, but he tells of his own background and also includes many details of the history of Israel and Palestine. Hence, the narrative here is rich with an illustration of the past as well as hope and actionable steps for the future.

Now, the memoir does have a certain potential weakness, depending on how the reader may perceive it. Naturally, maintaining a dispassionate or neutral tone over such a serious subject would be unrealistic when the story is so personal to the storyteller. Moreover, an author’s attempt to be completely dispassionate would likely water down a human story that should evoke human emotion. Still, there were times when I wasn’t sure of the author’s tone.

He repeatedly emphasizes how casting blame or playing “the blame game” in the midst of contention is unproductive. Yet, the tone beneath bits of the writing seems somewhat accusatory. As the book’s overall message and the tone accompanying it seem to clash now and then, it could potentially undermine the strength of the message to a degree. Also, on a minor note, the author has a tendency to be redundant at times, especially toward the ending chapters of the memoir. He has extended moments of reflection in places, and sometimes he asks the same questions or makes the same points he already made earlier in the book.

Nevertheless, the memoir gives a clear, compelling, and inspiring case for peace, empathy, and human equality. Therefore, I give The Anteater and the Jaguar a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend it to nonfiction and memoir readers with an interest in cultural and national reconciliation and the quality of life for fellow human beings.

The Anteater and the Jaguar
View: on Bookshelves

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like an interesting memoir. You are right. I don't think something that is so highly personal can be completely unbiased. Though, it does seem like the author did his best. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Abu Talha
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Abu Talha »

Awesome book
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

An insightful memoir to a difficult conflict. I think the author has expressed himself well.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like an interesting memoir. You are right. I don't think something that is so highly personal can be completely unbiased. Though, it does seem like the author did his best. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome! This is the second memoir I've read about this issue, and, yes, writing about it would include some frustration, to say the least, when it isn't just an "issue" to the writer, but it's his reality. I'm thankful to find authors speaking up to give western folks like me :) insight into what that reality is and what might be done about it.

-- Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 pm --
Quinto wrote:An insightful memoir to a difficult conflict. I think the author has expressed himself well.
He has indeed expressed himself well. He didn't write assuming the reader would already have a lot of facts about the situation. Even though I'm not unfamiliar with the conflict, I appreciate how the author has given enough history/background to make the narrative clear.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This is a touchy subject that affects a lot of people. I agree with you that being impartial in such a situation is difficult especially when the issue hits so close to home.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Finally! A memoir on this site that sounds both deserved (what an interesting life!) and well-executed. I felt drawn to this book as soon as I read the title, a testament to the importance of finding the right title for your work. I love the fearlessness in even attempting to discuss such a controversial topic, and the hang-ups you had with the novel don't seem like they would detract me from giving the book a perusal. Thank you for the review!
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote:Finally! A memoir on this site that sounds both deserved (what an interesting life!) and well-executed. I felt drawn to this book as soon as I read the title, a testament to the importance of finding the right title for your work. I love the fearlessness in even attempting to discuss such a controversial topic, and the hang-ups you had with the novel don't seem like they would detract me from giving the book a perusal. Thank you for the review!
You're welcome, and I hope you do give the book a perusal! :) A couple years ago, I read another memoir I found here, The Tears of Olive Trees by AbdulKarim Al Makadma. The book touches on a lot of the same issues, this time from the perspective of someone whose family had been exiled to Gaza, so I was immediately interested when I found The Anteater and the Jaguar.
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

Haven't reviewed this book yet
:tiphat:
Folasade Adeniji
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Folasade Adeniji »

Nice review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

When we see, hear and live the situation, it's easier to express our point of view. Perhaps it is our right to do do. Although I understand that the author might be biased because of what he has seen and experienced, I believe the reader has to decide what to agree and/or disagree as usual. Interesting memoir! Thanks for the review!
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Awesome review, and nice intro! The book sounds interesting...about Muslims and Christians living together. Thanks for the review.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Kalin Adi wrote:When we see, hear and live the situation, it's easier to express our point of view. Perhaps it is our right to do do. Although I understand that the author might be biased because of what he has seen and experienced, I believe the reader has to decide what to agree and/or disagree as usual. Interesting memoir! Thanks for the review!
I've heard it said before that no two readers ever read the same book, since no two people are going to read it all with the same eyes, minds, assumptions, personal experiences, imagination, etc. It is indeed up to readers to decide if they agree with an author, and why. :)

-- Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 pm --
Mtsweni Nelsy wrote:Awesome review, and nice intro! The book sounds interesting...about Muslims and Christians living together. Thanks for the review.
Thank you and you're welcome! The more I read on this subject, the more concerned/interested I become.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Hope I can read this book soon! I have no idea about the conflict of this two countries. But it's been a decade of conflict. The most interesting part to know that there is a community called a Oasis of Peace. Jews and Palestinians live and work together in harmony. Nice review! Thanks!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”