Official Review: Evie's Kitchen; A Collection of...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Evie's Kitchen; A Collection of...

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evie's Kitchen "A Collection of My Family Recipes"" by Evelyn Rothwell.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Evie’s Kitchen “A Collection of My Family Recipes” by Evelyn Rothwell is described as a family cookbook with accompanying pictures. The book includes pictures of an assortment of Argentinian and European dishes. Breakfast dishes, main courses and desserts all appear in this collection. Further, the author includes some photos of décor ideas for various occasions. Additionally, some wine and food proverbs are sprinkled throughout the book.

Unfortunately, I think the kindle version of this book may be incomplete. There are no actual recipes included in this book. Instead, the book is made up of pictures of various dishes and table decor. Each picture is labeled, so at least the reader knows what they are looking at; however, the absolute lack of actual instructional recipes or ingredient listings make this book feel pointless to read. Although the pictures do make the food look scrumptious, I fail to see the value in them without any accompanying directions to help one create the dishes on their own.

One aspect I found helpful was a diagram showing how to properly set a table. I have always wondered about table etiquette, but I’ve never had the motivation to actually look up the proper method. Unfortunately, even this diagram was incomplete. Each utensil is designated a letter, but there is no corresponding key to describe the name of each piece or what the letter refers to.

There are additional pictures of table décor for various occasions, like Christmas, everyday occasions, and romantic occasions and more formal occasions; however, again, the lack of description for any of these photos, other than a simple label, left much to the imagination. It would have been appreciated if additional details were given about the décor; for example, the colors that go best with each occasion, or the names of various pieces utilized in the photos. Further, the description of the book states there is a section on wine pairing, yet I only found one picture of a white-wine-filled glass with the name of some dishes underneath – this hardly counts as a guide for wine pairing, in my opinion.

Evie’s Kitchen “A Collection of My Family Recipes” really missed the mark and failed to live up to its title. The absence of any actual recipes makes this cookbook rather pointless. If anyone is interested in just looking at pictures of various dishes, they may enjoy this book; however, readers looking for an actual cookbook with ingredient lists and instructional recipes will be highly disappointed. Based on the fact that this book doesn’t contain any recipes or helpful written material, despite being marketed as a recipe book, I give it 1 out of 4 stars.

Evie's Kitchen "A Collection of My Family Recipes"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

A collection of family recipes without any actual recipes? Hard pass. Sorry you had to slog through that.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Sounds knowledgeable as far as ettiquite goes, but no recipes?! That would have been a great addition to the book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, the pictures sound nice. I would love to see the table setting diagram. However, it's really disappointing that there are no actual recipes. For a cookbook, that's a pretty big downside. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Man, looking at the pictures of basic food people post on Instagram makes me hungry; I can't imagine looking at a book with pictures of all kinds of delicious foods with no recipes to get them on your own table (but at least it will be properly set no matter what thanks to that diagram). That's so odd that there weren't any recipes, hopefully they'll fix that soon. Great review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A recipe book with no actual recipes? That's a bummer. Looks like it needs more work. Thank you for the informative review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

What was the whole point to the book?
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

A recipe book with no actual recipes....what!!
:tiphat:
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I am sure if it was completed with necessary recipes and diagrams, it would have been an amazing book. Nonetheless, thanks for the review. :tiphat:
sunshinedee
Currently Reading: The Emerald City of Oz
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by sunshinedee »

Based on the title of the book Evie's Kitchen "A Collection Of My Family Recipes" by Evelyn Rothwell makes me feel hungry.I like cookbooks especially with many pictures of delicious foods, but with no recipe written on it?not enough but it's nice to see some beautiful photos of foods with decorations.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Everyone knows that a cook book like the one under review should have recipes.
Probably they wanted to bring out another version in a different way and it ended up this way.
Too bad for the author.
Nonetheless, a wake up call.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Yeah, I agree. The pictures should supplement the text. I wonder what happened during the production of this book and whether it was intended to be this way.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

If there is what we called secret ingredients, then this one is a secret recipes. Though virtual. Maybe the author wants to make a reader do their job. Find the recipes. I don't know what the message all about. Maybe I need to read this book. I'm just curious. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You are correct in assuming that something was wrong with your download. I am getting ready to write a review for this book and it is actually packed with some interesting and great recipies. You should probably contact the admin about this.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I just had my official review posted for this cookbook. It is actually pretty good when the recipes are included! Let me know what you think of the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”