Official Review: Crossing The Date Line by John Sollo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Official Review: Crossing The Date Line by John Sollo

Post by Afuglsan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crossing The Date Line" by John Sollo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Travel along with John Sollo as he takes us to whole new worlds from the 1980s to the early 2000s in his nonfiction, Crossing the Date Line: Adventures of a Traveling Geologist. John is sometimes joined by his adventurous wife, Samantha, and other times traveling alone, often without knowing a word of the native language. He takes readers into the dense, danger-filled jungles of Venezuela and Indonesia to the dry lands of Algeria. John recounts tales of less-than-perfect living situations, stomaching native foods, facing giant pythons and grizzly bears, and even hunting for hidden treasure: American supermarket foods. The readers are provided with a brief history of every region that John has traveled to in order to provide a bit of background for readers. He also shares updates on the changing politics of the regions and about the projects he was working on, whether they went on to completion or fell through due to money, environment or other reasons.

This isn’t one of those beautiful self-discovery novels often seen in a travel section. This novel is full of harsh reality. John shares stories of underdeveloped countries and the folks living in poverty. He is able to get a good look at what life is really like in these areas. He experienced deaths of native workers, he watched as women were little more than beasts of burden while the men sat in the shade, he has even had to combat malaria! It’s a nitty-gritty novel, but to anyone who experiences wanderlust, it is beautiful at the same time. John shares that many of these people, who have next to nothing, are able to enjoy life in a way that, perhaps, Americans and our consumeristic ideals will never know.

Because much of this novel was before I was born, I was a bit lost on many of his references. I could still enjoy the author’s sense of humor, though. I am grateful that John included so much history in every place he visited. This really connects the readers to the story. I became very involved with his projects, and I was glad that he provided updates. It was also interesting to learn about a political structure in an area that I know to be different presently. Many times, John was in the midst of these political upheavals. He also included many photographs of people he worked with, so readers can easily put a face to the name. I almost wish he included a few more!

I love the John and Sam's sense of adventure and their commitment to one another. My favorite chapters were his travels to Alaska as well as when he brought his wife Sam along. She sounds like an amazing soul. What I enjoyed even more, was the author’s witty, almost wry, humor. I often smiled at his use of unique comparisons and similes. He stayed true to this writing form throughout the novel. Being a geologist, he held a unique perspective on his surroundings, wherever he traveled. The author also doesn’t bog you down with technical terms about his work. He does an ample job describing the work, then moves on to keep readers interested.

I give this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I loved the author's brand of humor. As a reader, it was truly amazing going from American consumerism and experiencing many impoverished nations via the author’s eyes. Some stories were heartbreaking; others were exciting and most were truly awe-inspiring. I noticed one error, but it doesn’t detract from the reading at all. I recommend reading this book to anyone who loves to travel, even if it's just from your living room.

Crossing The Date Line
View: on Bookshelves

Like Afuglsan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Thank you for your in depth review. Reading this review alone is enough to encourage me to have this book myself and I will put this to my to be read list.
I find that it is always interesting to read about a couple who wanderlust to foreign places particularly places that have not yet famous for tourism; it‘s like digging for hidden gold in the mines.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think a lot of times, we don't know how good we have it. This would be interesting to see the world from someone who is very much like most of us. I can't even begin to imagine some of the poverty and people dying of starvation. That's why a book like this would be so good for me to read. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great review of this book. It reminds me of a lot of the stories I heard from coworker when I was with an international environmental consulting firm. Lots of stories of sleeping in hammocks, poor living conditions, and being "guarded" by teenagers with semi automatic weapons.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! Though this book does not seem to be for me, I enjoyed reading your views on it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The tour that the author gives is refreshing. I like visiting places and I would check it out. Thanks for the in-depth review.
John Jacob Araba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by John Jacob Araba »

Just like food is good for the soul, reading books is good for the brain. I can wait to get started
pheroz sandee
Currently Reading: The O'Leary Entanglement
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by pheroz sandee »

The book is an adventurous affair, very amaizing to go through. More so, the affair of Sam John, as,I went through a brieg synposis, I got an experienced sense of love, humour and adventure. I would rate it at 4/4 being virtually smartwork from the authour, slight gross and romance captivation and more of damily affair and fun. I love it
esthernn
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by esthernn »

Good Review
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

This is simply a very well-written review. I actually studied this review a little before writing my first in order to get an idea of how an appropriate, informative, well-written review should read. Great job, and it certainly has me considering reading a book I otherwise would have avoided. Thank you!
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Butch Acuna »

An account about travel complete with the history, culture, food, customs is more exciting than fiction and is educational. But this is only half of the excitement, how the author relates with the people and they evade danger as the official review cites is an story by itself. The review whets up the interest of readers to personally visit the places described by the authors or to read the actual book reviewed by the reviewer or to review the review that was reviewed by another reviewer with a view of making their own review. Thank you for the excellent review.
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

apart from the fact that you really enjoyed the book , which is easily understood in the way you wrote the review, i like the fact that the adventures were educative which is seen in the part where you wrote that the poor have ways of being happy that the Americans don't know of. i believe that money is not prerequisite for true happiness
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Though I traveled a lot, never seen such a harsh reality. Like you have watched a women were little more than beasts of burden while the men sat in the shade. But one time, when I was in Hongkong there's a lot of Domestic Helpers really sacrificing in life just for the welfare of their family. In return the family don't value the money they received out of that sacrifice. You have a nice review. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”