Official Review: The Fearless Path by Curtis Rivers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Official Review: The Fearless Path by Curtis Rivers

Post by Ashley Simon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fearless Path" by Curtis Rivers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When it comes to fear, Curtis Rivers is a man with some experience. He’s an award-winning movie stuntman, a two-time Guinness World Record breaker, and a member of Hollywood Stuntman’s Hall of Fame. But despite his unrivaled success, Rivers considers himself an ordinary guy, and he believes fervently that the secrets to his success can help anyone, anywhere, anytime.

At the beginning of The Fearless Path, Curtis Rivers invites readers to join him on a journey. It’s based on real events, but readers are encouraged to approach the book as a fiction. Fiction or not, it's a captivating story.

In the first chapter, Believe, Curtis has convinced his wife to let him take off on a solo expedition. He’s met by an Englishman, a guide named Pierce with a lilting accent and a piercing stare. Pierce tells Curtis that everything he sees in the world exists only because it is first a thought in the mind, and encourages Curtis to write down exactly what he wants out of life.

Curtis then treks to a hospital on the Black Sea where he delivers life-saving drugs to a hospital. During the outbound journey, he takes Pierce’s advice, holding onto the thought that the journey would be blessed. Everything falls into place: they were always at the right place at the right time. The journey is close to idyllic. But on the way back, he isn’t as vigorous about planning and envisioning. One of his companions, Sven, is clinically depressed and gets off his meds, so Rivers ends up paying his way. A host of other negative outcomes spoil the trip. He’s poisoned by Bulgarian water, his car breaks down, he’s robbed, and then at the very end of this month-long journey, his bank account is hacked.

It’s far from ideal.

Back at the base camp, Rivers reconvenes with Pierce, his guide. Pierce is disappointed to hear that Curtis has not yet written a list of what he wants out of life. He instructs Curtis to stop framing his thoughts in terms of what he doesn’t want (I don’t want to be strapped for money) and instead frame it in terms of what he does want (I want an abundance of money).

As an inspirational memoir, The Fearless Path certainly delivers. Rivers tackles the subject of “fear” head on, and his experience on the topic adds depth to otherwise pithy statements. The writing style itself is a bit quirky, but I found this enjoyable. In the preface, readers are forewarned that the book they’re about to read comes with many hidden clues. Though one might be tempted to read this metaphorically, Rivers quickly shifts gears and encourages the readers to look back over the last paragraph and circle every 25th letter to find a hidden message. The hidden message ends up being a quote from Winston Churchill. It's a fun little moment that introduces readers to Rivers' offbeat, conversational writing style.

In The Fearless Path, Rivers promises to help readers smash through fear in order to create a life of purpose, fulfillment, and success. It’s a hefty promise, and I half-expected a fluffy book chock full of inspirational quotes. However, the winning quality of Rivers’ book is its practicality. Despite Rivers’ warning that the book is fictional, it definitely reads like a true-to-life story. He uniquely combines mystical experience with practical advice. By tackling the subject of “fear” head on, Rivers has created a book that is equal parts entertaining and practical.

The book was broken down into seven readable chapters. I didn’t notice any significant grammatical errors. As a memoir, this book tells the intriguing story of one man’s journey to self-discovery. As an inspirational handbook, this book leaves readers with many nuggets of helpful advice. Due to these factors, I’m giving The Fearless Path 4 out of 4 stars. I’d recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an interesting, easy, and inspirational read.

The Fearless Path
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ashley Simon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty inspiring book. I'm not sure I agree about only having to envision the positives, but he sure did do a lot in his life. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ochieng Ariba
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 91389">The concubine</a>
Currently Reading: Anthills of Savannah
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-ariba.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Ochieng Ariba »

Reading a book from start to end without trace of grammatical errors, the author and editor deserve it, 4 stars.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The cover alone looks fearless. I like that the author seeks to dispelled fear in the reader. I'm surprised that after all those achievements, Rivers still considers himself an ordinary guy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the guide already. I hope is real and may want to read his memoir as well. Thanks for the insightful piece.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html

Post by Ashley Simon »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a pretty inspiring book. I'm not sure I agree about only having to envision the positives, but he sure did do a lot in his life. Thanks for the review.
Yes, I tend to be skeptical of self-help books like this one. Still, since it was interesting and well-written, I felt it deserved four stars. I think people who enjoy inspirational books would like this one a lot.

-- Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 pm --
Quinto wrote:I like the guide already. I hope is real and may want to read his memoir as well. Thanks for the insightful piece.
Glad you liked it. Thanks for stopping by.
emanzafarlovesbooksv
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emanzafarlovesbooksv »

I already like this book.I think I'am gonna read this book cover to cover.Especially the message is very good.
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

Haven't reviewed this book yet.
:tiphat:
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Sounds like an interesting book from an interesting character, though I feel like the review already gave me a lot (maybe too much) of the story already. Hopefully there's a lot more the review left out.
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

I really like insight the book offers from a person having to actually take what he wants out of life and the authors hidden clues, i perceive the book to be very interesting
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

This is the book that many of us should read. Hope I can find time for this. Though the story look pathetic, because of what happened. "He’s poisoned by Bulgarian water, his car breaks down, he’s robbed, and then at the very end of this month-long journey, his bank account is hacked. But in the end, Pierce, the one with Curtis River in the journey teach him the right mindset. Thanks for the review. Very nice.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Nwodo peter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nwodo peter »

An inspirational piece kudos to the writer.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”