Review of Love Atop a Keyboard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alida Spies
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Out of Sight Out of Mind
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: Love Atop a Keyboard by Janet Silve Ghent
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 93%

Review of Love Atop a Keyboard

Post by Alida Spies »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Atop a Keyboard" by Janet Silver Ghent.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Love Atop a Keyboard” by Janet Silver Ghent is a memoir of love and life. Janet eventually ends her first marriage, which was full of tension and prohibited her from freely practicing her religion. It was a brave move, fraught with concerns about her limited income and financial survival. At age 45, she was a single woman again and had to create a new life.

I loved Janet’s descriptions of her journey to embrace Judaism and how she learned about the faith, the rituals and the food. She visited sites revered by Jewish people, integrated into her local Jewish church and choir, and prepared Jewish meals for special Jewish celebrations. After her divorce, she built a new life that she enjoyed and found fulfilling. The only missing thing was a partner she could share her life with.

The memoir touches on her life during her youth and marriage to her first husband, but the main focus is on her life with Allen, her second husband. Janet and Allen met at FAO Schwarz in San Francisco, where they played together on the toy store’s notable giant floor piano. I loved the vows they delivered to each other at their wedding, all the traveling they did, and how they faced adversity together. I also loved that Janet didn’t write a cheesy romance yet managed to convey the special love she and Allen shared. They visited amazing places, e.g., Machu Picchu and Thailand, and Janet touches on unusual aspects of the places they visited in her memoir.

Janet’s description of their life during COVID-19 was very touching. They had to make sacrifices and deal with traumatic circumstances affecting their family. They made the best of the situation, but Janet vividly describes the influence of isolation on their lives. Music, specifically singing, played a big part in their lives together, and they managed some form of participation during the isolation period.

Janet has a great sense of humor and an entertaining writing style. She writes beautiful prose, keeping the reader engaged from the first word to the last. The editing is flawless, as I did not find one error.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. It was interesting, informative and well-written. The book deserves nothing less than 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to all readers who enjoy memoirs. It contains some profanity, but I doubt it would offend anybody. The author writes extensively about Judaism, but she does not attempt to convert anybody or change their minds about their current beliefs. I experienced it as being similar to learning about another culture. I don’t think it will offend members of other religions or atheists.

Love Atop a Keyboard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

"This book is suitable for those interested in religious and cultural experiences, those looking for stories of personal transformation, and those interested in adapting to challenging times."
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

"Love Atop a Keyboard" by Janet Silver Ghent is a book that beautifully captures the journey of rediscovery and love in the face of life's challenges. The author’s memoir, rich with details of embracing Judaism and finding fulfillment after divorce, resonates deeply. The narrative of resilience, shared passions, and navigating adversity during COVID-19 is both heartwarming and relatable.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

This review of "Love Atop a Keyboard" by Janet Silver Ghent paints a captivating picture of her memoir. The reviewer praises the author's journey of self-discovery, particularly her exploration of Judaism and the love she shares with her second husband, Allen. The book's ability to touch on important themes, its engaging writing style, and flawless editing are also highlighted. The reviewer gives the book a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. Based on this positive review, "Love Atop a Keyboard" seems like a fantastic read for those who enjoy memoirs, offering insights into love, faith, and resilience. Evocative imagery, painted vivid scenes beautifully.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”