Review of Red Dirt Revelations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Savina Visintin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: Before I Lay Me Down to Sleep by James Steed

Review of Red Dirt Revelations

Post by Savina Visintin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Red Dirt Revelations" by Chad Spawr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Some historical periods attract our attention more than others; the Vietnam War is one of them. After reading what historians and professional journalists have to say, however, what is missing is the voices of those who experienced that war firsthand. Chad Spawr, a Vietnam veteran, has collected in Red Dirt Revelations the memories of him and many other veterans. The book collects reflections, feelings, and descriptions of events and missions. It presents itself as a text rich in information and unforgettable (for better or for worse) life experiences.

When I opened this book, my first feeling was reverence toward those whose memoirs I was about to read. Spawr has collected extraordinary testimonies of experiences out of the ordinary and saved these precious memories from the oblivion in which they risked ending up. There is everything in this book: memories of those who fought and those who worked behind the lines, occasionally funny and sad episodes, and one of the stories even makes us reflect on racism.

Overall, this book is like a song sung by many voices, where each is recognizable and unmistakable. If I have to think about the memories that have stuck with me the most, the first that come to mind are those concerning temporary extra duties (told by Hammond Salley) and the incredible Attack of the Peacocks (by John Harrison). Every experience is precious and adds a piece to a complex mosaic.

The only negative side of this book is the typos, but since most are oversights, I hope another round of corrections will be enough to improve this.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because I think it is a one-of-a-kind collection, and it is only for the typos that I do not give the highest rating. All those interested in the Vietnam War (scholars, enthusiasts, or veterans) will find something special in this book and appreciate it as it deserves. It is to them that I especially recommend it.

Red Dirt Revelations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

In general, your writing reflects a deep appreciation for the content you have read and provides a clear recommendation for those interested in the subject of the Vietnam War. Continue with this comprehensive and balanced approach to writing reviews, as it helps others understand what to expect from the books and provides them with a comprehensive insight into various works worth reading.
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

"Red Dirt Revelations" by Chad Spawr offers a poignant collection of firsthand accounts from Vietnam War veterans, capturing their bravery, humor, and challenges.
Anthony Caleb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-caleb.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Anthony Caleb »

Not every Veterans can write down their emotions and what they really faced during the war, I commend Chad Spawr for writing down this wonderful book.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

This review of "Red Dirt Revelations" by Chad Spawr provides a unique and valuable perspective on the Vietnam War. It captures the firsthand experiences and memories of Vietnam veterans, offering a rich and unforgettable collection of stories. The book portrays a mosaic of different voices and anecdotes, allowing readers to gain a deeper understanding of this historical period. Despite some typos, which can be easily corrected, the reviewer highly recommends this book to scholars, enthusiasts, and veterans interested in the Vietnam War. The overall rating given to the book is 4 out of 5 stars. Unforgettable characters, left a lasting impression.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”