Official Review: Hitler's Basement by Ron Vossler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Hitler's Basement by Ron Vossler

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hitler's Basement" by Ron Vossler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hitler’s Basement: My Search for Truth, Light, and the Forgotten Executioners of Ukraine’s Kingdom of Death is an extensive investigation of the forgotten Holocaust in Transnistria, the region between the Bug and Dniester Rivers which the Nazis occupied from 1941 to 1944. A Fulbright scholar, Ron Vossler spent more than a decade of his life researching and writing this book. It all began with a dream that haunted Vossler of a procession of people, which included pregnant women and babies, guarded by men wearing white uniforms. A decade later, he interviewed an eyewitness of a massacre of Jews that took place in a village in Ukraine in 1942. To the author’s surprise, "Nimitzki colonistas," also known as Volksdeutsche or German colonists, from Lichtenfeld did the killings rather than the Nazis. What is more, they were wearing white uniforms. Problem is the author’s grandparents came from Lichtenfeld, meaning he is of Volksdeutsche origin. As a result, he meets with Helmut, a relative on his mother’s side of the family who came from the village of Hoffnungstal. Disturbingly, Helmut has a picture of his father with SS Officer Weingartner and argues that the Volksdeutsche suffered more than the Jews.

Vossler decides that he definitely needs to pursue his research and learn what happened in the Volksdeutsche villages during the Nazi occupation of Transnistria. Did the Volksdeutsche take part in the Holocaust? Why would they participate? Did the Nazis force them to murder Jews? What happened to the Volksdeutsche under the Soviet regime before and after the Nazi occupation of Transnistria? The author answers all of these questions and much more in Hitler’s Basement, which consists of four parts. In part one, he discusses what clues and historical facts made him start this monumental investigation. In part two, he investigates the Road of Death, which is a group of Volksdeutsche villages where the Jews were mass murdered. In part three, he discovers more about the involvement of the Volksdeutsche in the killings and demonstrates how the totalitarian Soviet and Nazi regimes terribly clashed in Transnistria. In part four, he brings the investigation to a full circle and gets closure by obtaining first hand evidence of his relatives participation in the Holocaust in Transnistria.

Without a doubt, Vossler did an outstanding investigation of the Holocaust in Transnistria. He went to the villages located in the Road of Death and found evidence in ravines, ovens, pits, wells, and buildings. He gathered invaluable oral history from elderly eyewitnesses and got hold of crucial primary documents. In addition to his extraordinary historical work, I was amazed by his determination and faith to complete his research. He mentions numerous times in the book how this grim investigation disturbed his mental health. He also felt guilty about his findings because these brought to light the participation of his people, the Volksdeutsche, in the Holocaust. The following line broke my heart: "I will proceed on this research, odyssey which is destined, I fear, to shatter my illusions and break my ethnic heart."

In addition to bringing out the truth about what happened in Transnistria during the Nazi occupation, Vossler masterfully demonstrates the complexity of history in Hitler’s Basement. A great lesson to take out from this book is that history is not black and white. The Volksdeutsche did participate in the Holocaust, but they also suffered immensely under the Soviet regime during the 1920s and 1930s. The author presents evidence of how the Soviets killed millions of people with executions, planned famines, forced labor, and exiles to Siberia. The survivors and the relatives of the victims were the ones who later welcomed the Nazis with open arms in 1941. More than that, they turned into killers for the Nazis. Are their actions justified? No, definitely not. However, this book serves as a historical warning of totalitarian world views that lead to macabre blindness.

Note that Hitler’s Basement is not for everyone to read. My master’s degree is in European History, which is part of the reason I decided to read this book. That being said, it took me a month to finish reading it. The eyewitnesses’ accounts, the documents, and the physical evidence presented in this non-fiction and historical book are quite difficult to internalize emotionally. I was particularly distressed by how children were killed, women were raped, and groups of people were killed in the ovens and ravines.

As for the author’s writing style, I appreciated how smart he was at alternating the vast amount of evidence he presented throughout the whole book and the historical account supported by such evidence. This method makes the reader feel like he or she is making discoveries along with him. My favorite aspect of his writing, though, was how it shows his vulnerability and humanity. Clearly, this was not an easy investigation for the author to complete because he unveiled how his people took part in atrocious historical events.

Unquestionably, I rate Hitler’s Basement 4 out of 4 stars because it is a significant contribution to the history of the Holocaust in Transnistria. Some people will always condemn what they do not want to hear, but the truth is the truth. Vossler also did something rare by telling the truth about what he found while not forgetting to show the other side of the coin. His balanced historical account demonstrates the intricacy of humanity. I recommend this book to historians, history aficionados, scholars of the subject of the Holocaust, and truth seekers. I do not recommend this book to young readers unless they are mentally and emotionally prepared to read about history’s atrocities.

Hitler's Basement
View: on Bookshelves

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
joy003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by joy003 »

Great book
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it's quite emotional. I'm glad that the author was able to muddle through and do all this research. This is something that's important for everyone to know. Hopefully it will prevent things like this from happening again. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KEVIN OTIENO ONYUKA
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by KEVIN OTIENO ONYUKA »

great book.its makes the reader cruise back in history
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

It must have been very difficult for the author to continue with his investigations knowing very well that his relatives participated in the holocaust. My heart goes out to him. Nice review.
Ochieng Ariba
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 91389">The concubine</a>
Currently Reading: Anthills of Savannah
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-ariba.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Ochieng Ariba »

I was attracted by the title bearing the lunatic dictator's name but this review is good anyway and kudos to the author. To pen down such deep details of historical events, one must invest at length in research.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very thorough and detailed review. I am very interested in history. May be I will grab a copy of this one.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What an interesting book. I like that the author boldly narrates what other people choose to forget.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like this aspect of history as i have never had of it before. Thanks for your review.
malikmaliik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by malikmaliik »

This sounds like it's quite emotional. I'm glad that the author was able to muddle through and do all this research. This is something that's important for everyone to know
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

sorry....but I don't like romantic movies.
:tiphat:
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Thanks for the thoroughly written review. The book sounds deep. I don't think I am ready for that one.
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Butch Acuna »

I definitely agree that book Hitler's Basement is a commendable product of innate writing talent and unyielding persistence to ferret out the truth, but the book represent's just a small segment of the whole story. The Holocaust is merely a continuation of a series of attempts by the Catholic church to establish the Kingdom of God on earth, under the Pope, it began with the Holy Roman Empire, built upon the graves of millions of Christians killed during the Roman Empire for opposing the authority of the church, this continued through the Inquisition where another 68,000,000 more or less were executed, then came the Thousand Year Reich of Hitler when over 5,000,000 Jews were gassed to death. Catholic priests blessed Nazi warships, planes, tanks and cannons, this revealing literary masterpiece has a lot more revealing to accomplish it's a 4 out of 4.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow, mind blowing! After reading the book"Anne Frank" I started to search more about the holocaust. My findings left me in a shocking state, who in the right mind can do such atrocities? It also developed my curiosity to know more about it that I spent 6 months searching more details about.
I say this is definitely a book for me!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Butch Acuna wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 22:25 I definitely agree that book Hitler's Basement is a commendable product of innate writing talent and unyielding persistence to ferret out the truth, but the book represent's just a small segment of the whole story. The Holocaust is merely a continuation of a series of attempts by the Catholic church to establish the Kingdom of God on earth, under the Pope, it began with the Holy Roman Empire, built upon the graves of millions of Christians killed during the Roman Empire for opposing the authority of the church, this continued through the Inquisition where another 68,000,000 more or less were executed, then came the Thousand Year Reich of Hitler when over 5,000,000 Jews were gassed to death. Catholic priests blessed Nazi warships, planes, tanks and cannons, this revealing literary masterpiece has a lot more revealing to accomplish it's a 4 out of 4.
So that is why Spain churches gave shelter to Hitler. That explains a lot!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”