Review by Momiji1987 -- The Right to Nominate

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Review by Momiji1987 -- The Right to Nominate

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Right to Nominate by Thomas E. Peterson is a nonfiction book intent on restoring the power of government back to the people. Peterson titles the book after his proposed amendment to the constitution that would allow us to once again have true, representative government.

Peterson’s book is a timely narrative of the era of politics we currently live in. Anyone baffled by the election of Donald Trump or the popularity of “outsider” candidates like Bernie Sanders needs to read this book to break free of their status quo thinking.

Peterson is a brilliant constitutional mind who truly understands the country our founders meant for us to have, versus the one we currently live in. Peterson goes in depth into our history (concrete history, not modern revisionist) and the mindset of the electorate and expertly diagnoses the state of our republic and why people are so frustrated to the point they are rebelling against the establishment. Best of all, he does it without once mentioning anyone involved in the 2016 election or recent administrations leading up to it. Peterson’s focus is on you and your rights, exactly how we got to this place from our country’s inception, and how and in what ways we can actually fix it.

I found this book therapeutic and enlightening. Peterson’s narrative voice is like a loving parent or teacher telling you a story you know in part, but can’t clearly express in your own words because you lack complete knowledge. He has an answer to everything you ever wanted to know, and he tells you in a way that is thoroughly engaging and devoid of boring passages. If you are taking notes as I was, it can seem repetitive at times (especially in later chapters), but I assume he wrote it with the belief that repetition of main points would be helpful to the average reader who may not be as attentive as I had to be to write this review. Despite that, he still managed to hold my interest because so much of what I learned was new and relatable.

Every once in a while Peterson throws in a creative analogy to dress up his text with vivid imagery that is entertaining and can inspire beauty or humor. Among my favorites was this excerpt:
You’d have an easier time getting the Framers to accept and put on stinking, filthy wet underwear fished out of a sewer beneath a prison than to accept the present-day party attitude toward money in politics.
Peterson writes as if he knew the framers of our constitution personally, and he tells their stories in such an engaging way that by the end you’ll feel as if you knew them too. He takes these revered figures and humanizes them, revealing their faults, thoughts, and feelings in intimate detail. At times I almost felt like I was there, watching our constitution come together and then erode with the subsequent fights and toxicity that gave birth to the current political climate we now deal with. The founders had an original plan for our democracy that is not being carried out by our system today. Instead of a government controlled by the people, we have a government controlled by parties who rarely represent the will of constituents. The people are unhappy because they feel they’ve lost control and they have no means of disciplining politicians except through elections—a mostly binary choice between two establishment candidates who typically abandon all their promises until it’s time to campaign again. Peterson argues that the only cure for this flagrantly unconstitutional abuse of the electorate is the right to nominate.

Peterson goes into great detail over his proposed amendment and explains how it would work, how to implement it, and why we need the right to nominate to recruit upstanding, non-party citizens to congress. It’s an exciting development and solution to our current problems which Peterson convincingly argues for and writes into a law our politicians could vote on and pass immediately—if any had the gumption and love of democracy they lay claim to. The text itself is professional looking and numbered footnotes link to sources in the back of the book that can be read and then easily return to the main text by tapping the link to the last page. I only noticed three typographical errors within the text in some of the later chapters. Therefore I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Peterson expertly guides his readers through the forgotten annals of history to the formation of our great constitution and in the process reveals a surprising number of revelations. He doesn’t just gripe and complain, but offers a new idea and solution that he clearly explains and writes into an amendment that is constitutional and one our founders would approve of. Every American should read this book because it concerns us and how we can restore our government and truly make it the way the fathers of our country intended: of, by, and for the American people.

The Right to Nominate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I love the idea of this book. Thank you for this review. It is beautiful.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Thanks for reading, Arushi!
Joe Terap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joe Terap »

My country is politically corrupt and as a developing country bulk of the population has no idea. I think this is a great review and a must for my country men to read and learn something. Need this, great.
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

The books seems very good as you have given 4 stars to it. Thanks for your review ?
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

This is my kind of book, so I just had to read this review. It is beautiful! Thank you for writing this.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Joe Terap wrote:My country is politically corrupt and as a developing country bulk of the population has no idea. I think this is a great review and a must for my country men to read and learn something. Need this, great.
Yes, corruption is terrible all over the world and it's awful how those in power take advantage of us. People everywhere need to learn as much as they can! Thanks for your comment!!

-- 10 Nov 2017, 00:31 --
Reet Aulakh wrote:The books seems very good as you have given 4 stars to it. Thanks for your review ?
Thanks for reading!

-- 10 Nov 2017, 00:34 --
HouseOfAtticus wrote:This is my kind of book, so I just had to read this review. It is beautiful! Thank you for writing this.
You'd love this book then! Thanks for reading and commenting! Much appreciated!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I have a strong interest in politics but didn't pick this one to review because I wasn't quite sure of the author's intent with it. Thanks for providing such a detailed review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

You're welcome! Thanks for reading.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I am already feeling what the readers of the book would feel while reading the book. Thanks for the great review.

-- 14 Nov 2017, 23:09 --

I wish that the review may be published in several dailies and journals.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Wow! This is a very professional and well written review. Great summary and way to keep it rather un political..
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Paul78 wrote:I am already feeling what the readers of the book would feel while reading the book. Thanks for the great review.

-- 14 Nov 2017, 23:09 --

I wish that the review may be published in several dailies and journals.

Wow, thank you so much! That's a huge compliment!

-- 15 Nov 2017, 00:46 --
CommMayo wrote:Wow! This is a very professional and well written review. Great summary and way to keep it rather un political..
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”