Official Review: Prayer Faith & Weight Loss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Prayer Faith & Weight Loss

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prayer Faith & Weight Loss" by Johnnie Mae Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Losing weight can be a nearly insurmountable struggle and one to which most Americans can relate, either personally or through the experiences of a friend or family member. In her non-fiction book Prayer, Faith & Weight Loss: Abide in God, Ask & Believe, Mrs. Johnnie Mae Williams documents the first year of her effort to lose weight.

On January 1, 2014, Mrs. Williams decided that she was ready to start seriously dieting in order to achieve a more healthy body. To hold herself accountable and track her progress, she opted to write about her experiences daily, forming a book at the end of the year. Each day’s entry includes an inspirational verse from the Christian Bible, a weight loss tip, Mrs. William’s menu from the day, and a reflection on her day and her diet. Periodically, Mrs. Williams also includes pictures, usually of her feet on the scale as she weighs herself weekly.

In this writer’s opinion, the reflection was the best part of each entry. Those were the sections that allowed the reader to get to know Mrs. Williams and learn how she struggled and overcame challenges. These sections were all written in the first person and provided an inside view of factors that helped or hurt Mrs. Williams’ efforts. She was very open and honest, reflecting, among other topics, on having to prepare separate meals for her family, her own self-image, issues with her digestion, and the conflict between maintaining the diet and continuing to spend time with friends and family who enjoy fellowship with food. Mrs. Williams is very open about her religious faith, as one might gather from the title of her book, and she references her beliefs regularly in her daily reflections.

While the book certainly had valuable insights and moments where it was inspiring, it wasn’t without a few flaws. The structure the author chose was possibly the book’s biggest detracting factor. With 365 entries, the book was not only extremely long for the genre, but it was also repetitive. The weight loss tips were sometimes repetitive, sometimes contradictory with other weight loss tips, often irrelevant to the reflection portion, and never attributed to any outside author or publication. The book was also written in a highly informal style, using words such as “OMG” or “soooo”. Because the book was formatted like a journal, some readers might find this permissible, but for others, it may be distracting or even irritating. Some grammar errors were also present throughout the text.

There was quite a bit of inspiring content in Mrs. Williams’ book, but the length and format made it a difficult and slow read. With careful editing, the book could fulfill its potential as moving and motivating weight loss memoir, but in its current state, I can only rate it 2 out of 4 stars. Prayer, Faith & Weight Loss: Abide in God, Ask & Believe has plenty of excellent content but needs additional work to hone that content into a presentation that will be realistically readable as well as enjoyable and informative.

Prayer Faith & Weight Loss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh, this book sounds deadly dull. And I have read my share of weight loss books. They can be truly inspiring. As soon as you said she wrote down her menu for each day for a year I started saying, "Nope!" in my head. Good for you for sticking with the book.
insights
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by insights »

Lossing weight needs courage and discipline. I believe this book is perfect for those who are struggling to lose weight.
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia&rsquo;s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Juanita700 »

I am also trying to lose weight so I can relate. I like the fact that the reviewer has a very fair way of doing the review. She points out the great points of the book in saying that the personal angel in the author's faith and insights is what can make it great. She also says that it might be too long winding and could become boring. What I like most is that she encourages the writer to work on it and condense it and fix the other problems as well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this just needs a really good editor. Someone who can tweak and cut, making this book a more manageable size. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Great review, it can be very discouraging when an author fails in delivery of the idea. I think weight loss regimes don't have a one-size fits all, it either works or it doesn't. I think eating well and exercise works best. It also helps to find inspiration whether from a spouse, friends or family, at least that worked for me.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This sounds like a story that could easily be summarized in under 20 pages.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ibc
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ibc »

Johnnie mae williams

-- 20 Nov 2017, 05:51 --

Johnnie mae williams

-- 20 Nov 2017, 05:54 --

Johnnie mae williams
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

It is not easy to read a book where the author has repeated himself over and over again. I hope the author will address the issues raised on this review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Being on a diet is really difficult. I, myself, prefer doing exercises not dieting. However, since the idea of this journal is to help others to find motivation to keep and follow a diet, it's a good idea. But too bad about the lack of editing.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

This may not be a book for all. But those who are religiously planning or following the method on how to reduce weight for health reasons this is partly a good book for them. The book with a good content like this is possibly one of my interest. I'll line this up as one of my book to read. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”