Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Non-Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Prayer Faith & Weight Loss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.

Official Review: Prayer Faith & Weight Loss

Post Number:#1 by L_Therese
» 02 Nov 2017, 11:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prayer Faith & Weight Loss" by Johnnie Mae Williams.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by L_Therese
Share This Review

Losing weight can be a nearly insurmountable struggle and one to which most Americans can relate, either personally or through the experiences of a friend or family member. In her non-fiction book Prayer, Faith & Weight Loss: Abide in God, Ask & Believe, Mrs. Johnnie Mae Williams documents the first year of her effort to lose weight.

On January 1, 2014, Mrs. Williams decided that she was ready to start seriously dieting in order to achieve a more healthy body. To hold herself accountable and track her progress, she opted to write about her experiences daily, forming a book at the end of the year. Each day’s entry includes an inspirational verse from the Christian Bible, a weight loss tip, Mrs. William’s menu from the day, and a reflection on her day and her diet. Periodically, Mrs. Williams also includes pictures, usually of her feet on the scale as she weighs herself weekly.

In this writer’s opinion, the reflection was the best part of each entry. Those were the sections that allowed the reader to get to know Mrs. Williams and learn how she struggled and overcame challenges. These sections were all written in the first person and provided an inside view of factors that helped or hurt Mrs. Williams’ efforts. She was very open and honest, reflecting, among other topics, on having to prepare separate meals for her family, her own self-image, issues with her digestion, and the conflict between maintaining the diet and continuing to spend time with friends and family who enjoy fellowship with food. Mrs. Williams is very open about her religious faith, as one might gather from the title of her book, and she references her beliefs regularly in her daily reflections.

While the book certainly had valuable insights and moments where it was inspiring, it wasn’t without a few flaws. The structure the author chose was possibly the book’s biggest detracting factor. With 365 entries, the book was not only extremely long for the genre, but it was also repetitive. The weight loss tips were sometimes repetitive, sometimes contradictory with other weight loss tips, often irrelevant to the reflection portion, and never attributed to any outside author or publication. The book was also written in a highly informal style, using words such as “OMG” or “soooo”. Because the book was formatted like a journal, some readers might find this permissible, but for others, it may be distracting or even irritating. Some grammar errors were also present throughout the text.

There was quite a bit of inspiring content in Mrs. Williams’ book, but the length and format made it a difficult and slow read. With careful editing, the book could fulfill its potential as moving and motivating weight loss memoir, but in its current state, I can only rate it 2 out of 4 stars. Prayer, Faith & Weight Loss: Abide in God, Ask & Believe has plenty of excellent content but needs additional work to hone that content into a presentation that will be realistically readable as well as enjoyable and informative.

Prayer Faith & Weight Loss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
L_Therese

Currently Reading: Dead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 1939 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Prayer Faith & Weight Loss

Post Number:#2 by Kat Berg
» 12 Nov 2017, 00:19

Oh, this book sounds deadly dull. And I have read my share of weight loss books. They can be truly inspiring. As soon as you said she wrote down her menu for each day for a year I started saying, "Nope!" in my head. Good for you for sticking with the book.
Kat Berg's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Kat Berg

Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading: Undead Redhead
Bookshelf Size: 178 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#3 by insights
» 12 Nov 2017, 03:18

Lossing weight needs courage and discipline. I believe this book is perfect for those who are struggling to lose weight.
insights

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by Juanita700
» 12 Nov 2017, 11:50

I am also trying to lose weight so I can relate. I like the fact that the reviewer has a very fair way of doing the review. She points out the great points of the book in saying that the personal angel in the author's faith and insights is what can make it great. She also says that it might be too long winding and could become boring. What I like most is that she encourages the writer to work on it and condense it and fix the other problems as well.
Juanita700

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#5 by kandscreeley
» 12 Nov 2017, 15:13

It sounds like this just needs a really good editor. Someone who can tweak and cut, making this book a more manageable size. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 113 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 94%

Post Number:#6 by Alicnim
» 13 Nov 2017, 00:25

Great review, it can be very discouraging when an author fails in delivery of the idea. I think weight loss regimes don't have a one-size fits all, it either works or it doesn't. I think eating well and exercise works best. It also helps to find inspiration whether from a spouse, friends or family, at least that worked for me.
Alicnim's Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Alicnim

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Mercy Bolo
» 13 Nov 2017, 04:46

This sounds like a story that could easily be summarized in under 20 pages.
"Bloom where you are planted."
Mercy Bolo

Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by ibc
» Today, 05:49

Johnnie mae williams